P6SBA's with the older Harris controller

Philip

I'm one of the unfortunates with the Harris HIP6004ACB voltage controller.

I know it can't handle 1.65v Coppermine P-III's, but having read about
overclockers upping the processor core voltage by as much as 15%
(1.65 + 10% = 1.82 v) I wondered whether anyone had actually ever tried
a 100Mhz FSB Coppermine in an older P6SBA board?

Phil.

PS: I'm *NOT* suggesting anyone actually try it btw, just wondering if they
had!

Ghostrider

Philip wrote:

> I'm one of the unfortunates with the Harris HIP6004ACB voltage controller.
>
> I know it can't handle 1.65v Coppermine P-III's, but having read about
> overclockers upping the processor core voltage by as much as 15%
> (1.65 + 10% = 1.82 v) I wondered whether anyone had actually ever tried
> a 100Mhz FSB Coppermine in an older P6SBA board?
>
> Phil.
>
> PS: I'm *NOT* suggesting anyone actually try it btw, just wondering if they
> had!

But the issue is overclocking what? The P4 Pentiums, for instance, do have
an allowance for, perhaps 10-12% due to the physical manufacture of the
CPU. Such tolerances were not available for the PIII Katmais or CuMines.
Nor did motherboards that have the flexibility of the Intel 865 or 875 chipsets
exist at the time of the 440BX chipsets. But do some experimentation...that
is OK for obsolete products such as the P6SBA's and PIII's.

Philip

Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

> Philip wrote:
>
> > I'm one of the unfortunates with the Harris HIP6004ACB voltage controller.
> >
> > I know it can't handle 1.65v Coppermine P-III's, but having read about
> > overclockers upping the processor core voltage by as much as 15%
> > (1.65 + 10% = 1.82 v) I wondered whether anyone had actually ever tried
> > a 100Mhz FSB Coppermine in an older P6SBA board?

> But the issue is overclocking what?

Well, I read that overclockers have to increase the core voltage to ensure
that the processor can get enough power. It struck me that if a suitably
cooled processor can stand +10% core voltage then the Harris ACB at
1.8v might still work (all be it at an "unsupported" non-spec way).

> The P4 Pentiums, for instance, do have
> an allowance for, perhaps 10-12% due to the physical manufacture of the
> CPU. Such tolerances were not available for the PIII Katmais or CuMines.
> Nor did motherboards that have the flexibility of the Intel 865 or 875 chipsets
> exist at the time of the 440BX chipsets. But do some experimentation...that
> is OK for obsolete products such as the P6SBA's and PIII's.

Well, perhaps after I've upgraded! - Though I was just asking in case anyone
else had already given it a go.

Phil.