PA-2013 and 2 80GB with W98SE

Den

Original format & setup using each drive's utilies.
MAXTOR_6Y080L0
C. E. F. G.
SEAGATE ST380011A
D. H. I. J.
formating done using Maxtor and Seagate's own programs.

Boots up fine, but around 10 times on bootup it see's both drives
as note (1).
On a re-boot it starts scandisk which shows no errors and then
boots up normaly but again around 10 of so times it again
shows it then boots up as (1)

1. It shows on bootup instead of above
MAXTOR_6Y080L0
C. D. E. F.
SEAGATE ST380011A
G. H. I. J.

My original W98SE instal was on a 6.4 GB drive using
2 or 3 partitions, copied over using new drives utilites.

It is the drive D: (first partiteon of drive number two) that
is the one it finds a faul, again only one in ten times it
finds a problem.
Owing to time of W98SE full scandisk I now skip the long check and choose a standerd in Windows, this again around
one in ten times finds a fault with D: on drive 2 SEAGATE ST380011A

I am still using W98SE original Scandisk, though I note that the
Defrag is showing MS 1981-1998 & Symantec 1988-1992 ?
and wonder if these two should have been updated when
the two large HD's were fitted. All other HD's partitions opeate as normal.

Den

Roger Hunt

In article <cerfj5$a53$(E-Mail Removed)>, Den <Den@NoSpamOrNoCorned
Beef.unlimited-But-Was-Limited.RIP> writes
>Original format & setup using each drive's utilies.
>MAXTOR_6Y080L0
>C. E. F. G.
>SEAGATE ST380011A
>D. H. I. J.
>formating done using Maxtor and Seagate's own programs.
>
>Boots up fine, but around 10 times on bootup it see's both drives
>as note (1).
>On a re-boot it starts scandisk which shows no errors and then
>boots up normaly but again around 10 of so times it again
>shows it then boots up as (1)
>
>1. It shows on bootup instead of above
>MAXTOR_6Y080L0
>C. D. E. F.
>SEAGATE ST380011A
>G. H. I. J.
>
>My original W98SE instal was on a 6.4 GB drive using
>2 or 3 partitions, copied over using new drives utilites.
>
> It is the drive D: (first partiteon of drive number two) that
>is the one it finds a faul, again only one in ten times it
>finds a problem.
>Owing to time of W98SE full scandisk I now skip the long check and choose a
>standerd in Windows, this again around
>one in ten times finds a fault with D: on drive 2 SEAGATE ST380011A
>

>I am still using W98SE original Scandisk, though I note that the
>Defrag is showing MS 1981-1998 & Symantec 1988-1992 ?
>and wonder if these two should have been updated when
>the two large HD's were fitted. All other HD's partitions opeate as normal.

Howdy -
I have a Maxtor 6Y080L0, (and WD800BB), with 98se and I originally used
Maxblast to partition the Maxtor.

It's a bit of a time ago but I remember 98se did not behave with this
drive until I uninstalled the Maxblast drive overlay. The partitions
remain ...
Have you uninstalled it?

(Nowadays WinME FDisk.exe does the partitioning as it can cope with a
80GB drive)
--
Roger Hunt

Den

"Roger Hunt"
> Howdy -
> I have a Maxtor 6Y080L0, (and WD800BB), with 98se and I originally used
> Maxblast to partition the Maxtor.
>
> It's a bit of a time ago but I remember 98se did not behave with this
> drive until I uninstalled the Maxblast drive overlay. The partitions
> remain ...
> Have you uninstalled it?
>
> (Nowadays WinME FDisk.exe does the partitioning as it can cope with a
> 80GB drive)

No I did not instalI the Maxtor software just run it, though I did find that the Seagate utilities is installed but I have found
the helpfiles unhelpful so far.

I am uncertian as to what the problem is, and wondering if
updating the scandisk version and to try the version from the
MS site 243450USA8.exe.

Den

Den

Have now taken the SEAGATE ST380011A offline
and now back with the MAXTOR_6Y080L0
as sole drive with the 4 partitions.

Den
--
Yesterday it worked,today it is not working
Windows is like that.

K8 Neo Platinum54G and W98SE ATK MSI 1 11-23-2004 05:19 PM
IC7 conflict when I use SATA & both IDE controlers under W98se Spirit Abit 0 10-14-2004 03:30 PM
W98SE and Symantec (Norton) Lee Gateway 2 04-26-2004 10:06 PM
W98 and W98SE are slow on K8V Deluxe Anton Ertl Asus 5 12-03-2003 07:10 PM
OT but 80GB and W98SE Den AMD Overclocking 2 08-22-2003 02:48 PM