PA-2013 ... biggest HD?

Roger Hunt

Greetings

I have a PA-2013 with ji4333 BIOS and I'm still not sure of the biggest
hard drive it will take. Anybody know?

Thanks!
--
Roger Hunt

Alex Zorrilla

137 GB.

Roger Hunt wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have a PA-2013 with ji4333 BIOS and I'm still not sure of the biggest
> hard drive it will take. Anybody know?
>
> Thanks!

Roger Hunt

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Alex Zorrilla typed this :
>Roger Hunt wrote:
>>
>> I have a PA-2013 with ji4333 BIOS and I'm still not sure of the biggest
>> hard drive it will take. Anybody know?
>>

>137 GB.

That's good news. I feared it was 65.

Cheers
--
Roger Hunt

Alex Zorrilla

I could not remember whether it was 65 GB or 137 GB, either, so I
resorted to doing a Google search. I found some old archived posts from
this newsgroup, back when this was actually a current topic, lol.

--Alex

Roger Hunt wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Alex Zorrilla typed this :
>> Roger Hunt wrote:
>>> I have a PA-2013 with ji4333 BIOS and I'm still not sure of the biggest
>>> hard drive it will take. Anybody know?
>>>

>> 137 GB.

> That's good news. I feared it was 65.
>
> Cheers

Roger Hunt

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Alex Zorrilla typed this :
>I could not remember whether it was 65 GB or 137 GB, either, so I
>resorted to doing a Google search. I found some old archived posts from
>this newsgroup, back when this was actually a current topic, lol.

Thanks, I must hone up my News-Googling skills. I believe the 503+ only
went to 65G (with je4333) but that's out of date info as well.
--
Roger Hunt

Mike Thorne

Roger Hunt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:AkYWNXAicl6DFw02
@carewg.demon.co.uk:

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Alex Zorrilla typed this :
>>I could not remember whether it was 65 GB or 137 GB, either, so I
>>resorted to doing a Google search. I found some old archived posts from
>>this newsgroup, back when this was actually a current topic, lol.
>>

> Thanks, I must hone up my News-Googling skills. I believe the 503+ only
> went to 65G (with je4333) but that's out of date info as well.

I have a 120G Seagate running in a 503+ (with JE4333) right now. Works
fine.

[As a side note, I actually got a 160G drive running in it at one point,
but the BIOS didn't recognize it properly. It declared it to be a 137G
drive, but the Linux OS queried the drive directly and properly declared
it to be 160G. Unfortunately, it was *very* slow, possibly because of
the BIOS conflict.]

tcsenter@yahoo.com

There should be no BIOS or hardware limitations between 40GB and the
28-bit IDE/ATA limitation (~137GB), excepting some idiosyncratic
incompatibility between a particular HDD make/model/firmware and the
BIOS (which is what JE4333 addressed with Quantum drives).

Alex Zorrilla

There were actually a fair amount of Award BIOSes that had a limitation
of 65 GB (actually 65535 MB) because of a divide overflow error in the
BIOS code.