Packard Bell Easynote F5275 battery advice needed

Neil

I bought a used F5275 (approx 4 yrs old) laptop for simple spreadsheet
for my work, and so that I can have my customer database in the car.
The computer works fine but only on mains voltage so I set about
finding a battery and am a little confused. Searching for a battery
via ebay / google all that comes up is a large battery (app 10cm x
10cm x 20mm, 11.1v at 4000mAh) that fits inside the computer requiring
removal of the base cover. However, if I follow the spares link on the
P/Bell website it specifies a slim (approx 5cm x 100cm x 5mm) battery
that would appear to fit in the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly
above the CD drawer. I assume the latter is the correct one. Can
anybody tell me what the large battery does?

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):
> I bought a used F5275 (approx 4 yrs old) laptop for simple spreadsheet
> for my work, and so that I can have my customer database in the car.
> The computer works fine but only on mains voltage so I set about
> finding a battery and am a little confused. Searching for a battery
> via ebay / google all that comes up is a large battery (app 10cm x
> 10cm x 20mm, 11.1v at 4000mAh) that fits inside the computer requiring
> removal of the base cover. However, if I follow the spares link on the
> P/Bell website it specifies a slim (approx 5cm x 100cm x 5mm) battery
> that would appear to fit in the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly
> above the CD drawer. I assume the latter is the correct one. Can
> anybody tell me what the large battery does?

Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without seeing
anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than the smaller ones.

--
Bill
Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

Neil

On 30 Jul, 18:51, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > I bought a used F5275 (approx 4 yrs old) laptop for simple spreadsheet
> > for my work, and so that I can have my customer database in the car.
> > The computer works fine but only on mains voltage so I set about
> > finding a battery and am a little confused. Searching for a battery
> > via ebay / google all that comes up is a large battery (app 10cm x
> > 10cm x 20mm, 11.1v at 4000mAh) that fits inside the computer requiring
> > removal of the base cover. However, if I follow the spares link on the
> > P/Bell website it specifies a slim (approx 5cm x 100cm x 5mm) battery
> > that would appear to fit in the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly
> > above the CD drawer. I assume the latter is the correct one. Can
> > anybody tell me what the large battery does?

> Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without seeing
> anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than the smaller ones.
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
> MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
> Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
> Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)

Thank you for your reply Bill

This is a typical UK distributor search
http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-not...r-charger.html

This is P/B website http://store.packardbell.com/Store/A...&pn=A000082100

Regards, Neil

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Neil typed:
> On 30 Jul, 18:51, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):
>>
>>> I bought a used F5275 (approx 4 yrs old) laptop for simple
>>> spreadsheet for my work, and so that I can have my customer
>>> database in the car. The computer works fine but only on mains
>>> voltage so I set about finding a battery and am a little confused.
>>> Searching for a battery via ebay / google all that comes up is a
>>> large battery (app 10cm x 10cm x 20mm, 11.1v at 4000mAh) that fits
>>> inside the computer requiring removal of the base cover. However,
>>> if I follow the spares link on the P/Bell website it specifies a
>>> slim (approx 5cm x 100cm x 5mm) battery that would appear to fit in
>>> the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly above the CD drawer. I
>>> assume the latter is the correct one. Can anybody tell me what the
>>> large battery does?

>> Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without
>> seeing anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than
>> the smaller ones.

> Thank you for your reply Bill
>
> This is a typical UK distributor search
> http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-not...r-charger.html
>
> This is P/B website
> http://store.packardbell.com/Store/A...&pn=A000082100
>
> Regards, Neil

Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
running time.

--
Bill
Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

Neil

On 30 Jul, 19:20, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> Neil typed:
>

> > On 30 Jul, 18:51, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> >> Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):

> >> Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without
> >> seeing anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than
> >> the smaller ones.

> > Thank you for your reply Bill

> > This is a typical UK distributor search
> >http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-not...easynotef5-bat...

> > This is P/B website
> >http://store.packardbell.com/Store/A...hp?act=add&pn=...

> > Regards, Neil

> Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
> running time.
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
> MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
> Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
> Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bill,

Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
internal battery.

Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - 100
for the Internal / 50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
mains inverter instead for 15 and run the mains charger from the car
lighter socket.

Thanks very much for your help Bill.

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Neil typed:
> On 30 Jul, 19:20, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
>> Neil typed:

>>> Thank you for your reply Bill

>>> This is a typical UK distributor search
>>> http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-not...easynotef5-bat...

>>> This is P/B website
>>> http://store.packardbell.com/Store/A...hp?act=add&pn=...

>>> Regards, Neil

>> Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
>> running time.

> Thanks Bill,
>
> Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
> for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
> internal battery.
>
> Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - 100
> for the Internal / 50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
> mains inverter instead for 15 and run the mains charger from the car
> lighter socket.
>
> Thanks very much for your help Bill.

Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the inverter
can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For battery charges,
TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great investment. Careful though, 300
watts draw to output 110VAC will draw about 30 amps from the cigarette
outlet. And 30 amps is pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most
vehicles. Drawing more, you should go straight for the battery posts.

--
Bill
Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

Neil

On 30 Jul, 20:12, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> Neil typed:
>

> > On 30 Jul, 19:20, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> >> Neil typed:

> >> Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
> >> running time.

> > Thanks Bill,

> > Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
> > for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
> > internal battery.

> > Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - 100
> > for the Internal / 50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
> > mains inverter instead for 15 and run the mains charger from the car
> > lighter socket.

> > Thanks very much for your help Bill.

> Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the inverter
> can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For battery charges,
> TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great investment. Careful though, 300
> watts draw to output 110VAC will draw about 30 amps from the cigarette
> outlet. And 30 amps is pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most
> vehicles. Drawing more, you should go straight for the battery posts.
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
> MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
> Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
> Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!

! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)

The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)

The car to mains inverter (below) at 14.99 is 150w

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ERTER&doy=30m7

I think I should be okay - dont you ?

Regards, Neil

Neil

On 30 Jul, 20:36, Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 30 Jul, 20:12, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> > Neil typed:

> > > Thanks Bill,

> > > Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
> > > for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
> > > internal battery.

> > > Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - 100
> > > for the Internal / 50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
> > > mains inverter instead for 15 and run the mains charger from the car
> > > lighter socket.

> > > Thanks very much for your help Bill.

> > Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the inverter
> > can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For battery charges,
> > TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great investment. Careful though, 300
> > watts draw to output 110VAC will draw about 30 amps from the cigarette
> > outlet. And 30 amps is pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most
> > vehicles. Drawing more, you should go straight for the battery posts.

> > --
> > Bill
> > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
> > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
> > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
> > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

> I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
> long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!
>
> ! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)
>
> The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)
>
> The car to mains inverter (below) at 14.99 is 150w
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...teria=12v%20MA....
>
> I think I should be okay - dont you ?
>
> Regards, Neil- Hide quoted text -

P.S. UK mains voltage is 240v

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Neil typed:
> On 30 Jul, 20:36, Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 30 Jul, 20:12, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
>>> Neil typed:

>>> Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the
>>> inverter can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For
>>> battery charges, TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great
>>> investment. Careful though, 300 watts draw to output 110VAC will
>>> draw about 30 amps from the cigarette outlet. And 30 amps is
>>> pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most vehicles. Drawing
>>> more, you should go straight for the battery posts.

>> I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
>> long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!
>>
>> ! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)
>>
>> The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)
>>
>> The car to mains inverter (below) at 14.99 is 150w
>>
>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...teria=12v%20MA...
>>
>> I think I should be okay - dont you ?
>>
>> Regards, Neil

> P.S. UK mains voltage is 240v

Yes 240v, but watts are watts no matter what the voltage is. Laptops are
generally 100 watts or less. Yours sounds high, but probably doesn't
normally draw that much. I have 6 here and they draw under 25 watts actually
when not charging the battery too. And yes those should be just fine.

Yes running the battery down is something to think of. Those jump start
batteries they sell to jump start your car battery has saved my butt more
than once. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

Neil

On 30 Jul, 21:09, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> Neil *typed:

> >> I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
> >> long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!

> >> ! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)

> >> The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)

> >> The car to mains inverter (below) at 14.99 is 150w

> >>http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...teria=12v%20MA...

> >> I think I should be okay - dont you ?

> >> Regards, Neil

> > P.S. UK mains voltage is 240v

> Yes 240v, but watts are watts no matter what the voltage is. Laptops are
> generally 100 watts or less. Yours sounds high, but probably doesn't
> normally draw that much. I have 6 here and they draw under 25 watts actually
> when not charging the battery too. And yes those should be just fine.
>
> Yes running the battery down is something to think of. Those jump start
> batteries they sell to jump start your car battery has saved my butt more
> than once. ;-)
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
> MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
> Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
> Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for you help Bill

In the UK Jump leads are a pair of cables terminated with crocodile*
clips that attach to the battery posts (car to car)

* 'gator clip in the US?? :-)

If I forget the leads I'll park on a hill - that saved my butt a few
times when I've had a dodgy battery!

Regards, Neil