Packard Bell Memory Upgrade Woes

iCnothing841@hotmail.com

Hi there everyone.

I have taken up the project of upgrading the memory in this old Packard
Bell computer (thank you eBay) however, I seemed to run into a problem
and was wondering what could be the possible solution.

First, alittle back info. on the computer. Its a Packard Bell Legend
836CDT with a 166MHz processor, 72MB memory, ~4.3GB Hard drive. BIOS
upgraded to Agoura 1.20.

The machine orginally had 72MB (8MB onboard plus 2x32MB 72-pin 70NS
SIMMS EDO). I purchased two more similar chips, same specs different
manufacture, to bring the system to it's full capacity, 136MB.
However, after installing the chips and turning it on, nothing happens.
The hard drive and processor fan power up, however, nothing comes up
on the monitor. There are no beeps...nothing.

After searching Google for awhile, I found Ray's Packard Bell website.
On the page about my motherboard (PB600) it mentions the following: ".
.. .I have read that one of the Banks Has a Problem with EDO RAM in some
PB 600 motherbords." Thinking that this was the problem, I headed over
to eBay and purchased two 32MB SIMMS that were FPM however, when I put
them in, the same problem still occured.

So, I began to test different combinations, including:

(Orginal)
Bank 2: Two 32MB EDO Chips
Bank 3: Two 32MB EDO Chips

Bank 2: Two 32MB EDO Chips
Bank 3: Two 32MB FPM Chips

Bank 2: Two 32MB FPM Chips
Bank 3: Two 32MB EDO Chips

but the same occured. When I put in three chips, in any configuration
listed above, the system boots and recognizes 104MB.

All the above chips are 70ns and I am thinking that maybe this is the
problem however, the manual says that the memory must be 70ns or
greater.

Another thing I was thinking was maybe the system will only work with
FPM. I was thinking about purchasing four 32MB SIMMs FPM 60NS but
wanted to get some opinions/feedback from other users.

A third thing I was thinking was that perhaps the problem lies with the
BIOS version. I did find an upgrade for the BIOS and upgraded it
several years ago, however, I did not save the orginal. I have tried
re-flashing the BIOS but no go. Does anyone have the orginal BIOS
version they could send me so I could revert it to its orginal version?

Sorry for writing a book; just wanted to get down all the facts.
Thanks in advance.