Motherboard Forums


Reply
 
 
vinny33
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi

I have a packardbell pulsar 300,Intel Pentium 3 450MHz,128 MB RAM 20 GB hard
drive, the problem i keep having is that my system resources keeps dropping
to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much higher level?


Regards

Vin.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anthony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2003, 05:02 PM

"vinny33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Nc0Db.1010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a packardbell pulsar 300,Intel Pentium 3 450MHz,128 MB RAM 20 GB

hard
> drive, the problem i keep having is that my system resources keeps

dropping
> to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much higher level?
>
>
> Regards
>
> Vin.
>
>


I am gonna guess that you have a lot of stuff running in the background, and
that is chewing up system resources. I would suggest starting from scratch.

Backup any data you want to keep (eg. Favorites, address book, saved data)
and do a format and restore of the OS.

Regards,
Anthony


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Helen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2003, 10:32 PM

"Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
:
: "vinny33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:Nc0Db.1010$(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Hi
: >
: > I have a packardbell pulsar 300,Intel Pentium 3 450MHz,128
MB RAM 20 GB
: hard
: > drive, the problem i keep having is that my system
resources keeps
: dropping
: > to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much
higher level?
: >
: >
: > Regards
: >
: > Vin.
: >
: >
:
: I am gonna guess that you have a lot of stuff running in the
background, and
: that is chewing up system resources. I would suggest
starting from scratch.
:
: Backup any data you want to keep (eg. Favorites, address
book, saved data)
: and do a format and restore of the OS.
:
: Regards,
: Anthony
:
:

I suggest none of the above, but rather emptying the Start-up
file. Get a copy of EndItAll and run it. Empty temp files
and recycle bin. It will close down all those applications
except IE (and a few others..but you can close them if you
wish). Then run scandisk, then defrag. This may take about
an hour, depending on when it was last defragged. After these
then reboot and check it out. ALTERNATIVELY, try this:
Start/Run type in
msconfig. Go to the Starup Tab .. and UNcheck EVERYTHING
EXCEPT systray and rundll.. there may be two copies of each.
If so, then leave them checked. Save, reboot.

Helen

 
Reply With Quote
 
Elector
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2003, 11:35 AM

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> :
> : "vinny33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:Nc0Db.1010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > Hi
> : >
> : > I have a packardbell pulsar 300,Intel Pentium 3 450MHz,128
> MB RAM 20 GB
> : hard
> : > drive, the problem i keep having is that my system
> resources keeps
> : dropping
> : > to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much
> higher level?
> : >
> : >
> : > Regards
> : >
> : > Vin.
> : >
> : >
> :
> : I am gonna guess that you have a lot of stuff running in the
> background, and
> : that is chewing up system resources. I would suggest
> starting from scratch.
> :
> : Backup any data you want to keep (eg. Favorites, address
> book, saved data)
> : and do a format and restore of the OS.
> :
> : Regards,
> : Anthony
> :
> :
>
> I suggest none of the above, but rather emptying the Start-up
> file. Get a copy of EndItAll and run it. Empty temp files
> and recycle bin. It will close down all those applications
> except IE (and a few others..but you can close them if you
> wish). Then run scandisk, then defrag. This may take about
> an hour, depending on when it was last defragged. After these
> then reboot and check it out. ALTERNATIVELY, try this:
> Start/Run type in
> msconfig. Go to the Starup Tab .. and UNcheck EVERYTHING
> EXCEPT systray and rundll.. there may be two copies of each.
> If so, then leave them checked. Save, reboot.
>
> Helen
>



Hi Vin:

ALTERNATIVELY: It is a known Microsoft Knowledge base article on how
the system uses memory and retains it. It is I believe a simple fix
here
http://support.microsoft.com/default...61&Product=w98
Microsoft also gives the option of you having their trouble shooter
page diagnose the situation. However I am not sure how it works. Much
of what was said above is covered in the article.

To expand on Anthony's answer many computer trade magazines and
companies recommend that a user back up files and format and restore
when the system gets to cluttered with junk or excess programs. You
could spend more money on external programs or format and restore to
like new for no money what so ever. However the process is not always
fool proof and you may want to just do as Microsoft states to do. The
decision is of course up to you.

I Hope I helped?

Elector


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Yes, Elector, you've hit upon the real issue here. The right action to take
depends on the value of the owner's data and installed programs. If the owner
has backed up necessary data, chalk up one for a reformat and reinstall. If the
owner has ALL the media to reload his/her installed software, chalk up another
vote for a reinstall. If the owner does not have the backup data and program
media, two choices are possible. One is to use all the various cleanup tools
and procedures in an attempt to get the system right again. The other is to put
the machine in the hands of a qualified professional who will charge a lot of
money to do it all right.

The sad truth is that many older computer programs do not have the right type of
storage media to do a backup easily, reliably and conveniently. Diskettes? Ha!
I can't blame someone for not backing up if the system has only a diskette drive
in addition to the hard drive. ZIP drives? Well, a little better if one sets
aside the "click of death" phenomenon that plagues them. But 100MB or even
250MB is not much for backup. The best choice for backup on a single computer
may well be a CD burner. Mirror imaging with another disk drive works well,
too. But people often think of these things when it is too late to take
reasoned and methodical action. And, sheesh, the name brand computer companies
are so busy selling boxes by undercutting on price, that the run-of-the-mill
buyer never gets educated on the costs and benefits of backup.

End of rant... Ben Myers

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:35:31 GMT, "Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
>> :
>> : "vinny33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> : news:Nc0Db.1010$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> : > Hi
>> : >
>> : > I have a packardbell pulsar 300,Intel Pentium 3 450MHz,128
>> MB RAM 20 GB
>> : hard
>> : > drive, the problem i keep having is that my system
>> resources keeps
>> : dropping
>> : > to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much
>> higher level?
>> : >
>> : >
>> : > Regards
>> : >
>> : > Vin.
>> : >
>> : >
>> :
>> : I am gonna guess that you have a lot of stuff running in the
>> background, and
>> : that is chewing up system resources. I would suggest
>> starting from scratch.
>> :
>> : Backup any data you want to keep (eg. Favorites, address
>> book, saved data)
>> : and do a format and restore of the OS.
>> :
>> : Regards,
>> : Anthony
>> :
>> :
>>
>> I suggest none of the above, but rather emptying the Start-up
>> file. Get a copy of EndItAll and run it. Empty temp files
>> and recycle bin. It will close down all those applications
>> except IE (and a few others..but you can close them if you
>> wish). Then run scandisk, then defrag. This may take about
>> an hour, depending on when it was last defragged. After these
>> then reboot and check it out. ALTERNATIVELY, try this:
>> Start/Run type in
>> msconfig. Go to the Starup Tab .. and UNcheck EVERYTHING
>> EXCEPT systray and rundll.. there may be two copies of each.
>> If so, then leave them checked. Save, reboot.
>>
>> Helen
>>

>
>
>Hi Vin:
>
>ALTERNATIVELY: It is a known Microsoft Knowledge base article on how
>the system uses memory and retains it. It is I believe a simple fix
>here
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...61&Product=w98
>Microsoft also gives the option of you having their trouble shooter
>page diagnose the situation. However I am not sure how it works. Much
>of what was said above is covered in the article.
>
>To expand on Anthony's answer many computer trade magazines and
>companies recommend that a user back up files and format and restore
>when the system gets to cluttered with junk or excess programs. You
>could spend more money on external programs or format and restore to
>like new for no money what so ever. However the process is not always
>fool proof and you may want to just do as Microsoft states to do. The
>decision is of course up to you.
>
>I Hope I helped?
>
>Elector
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Elector
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2003, 06:08 PM

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, Elector, you've hit upon the real issue here. The right action to

take
> depends on the value of the owner's data and installed programs. If the

owner
> has backed up necessary data, chalk up one for a reformat and reinstall.

If the
> owner has ALL the media to reload his/her installed software, chalk up

another
> vote for a reinstall. If the owner does not have the backup data and

program
> media, two choices are possible. One is to use all the various cleanup

tools
> and procedures in an attempt to get the system right again. The other is

to put
> the machine in the hands of a qualified professional who will charge a lot

of
> money to do it all right.
>
> The sad truth is that many older computer programs do not have the right

type of
> storage media to do a backup easily, reliably and conveniently.

Diskettes? Ha!
> I can't blame someone for not backing up if the system has only a diskette

drive
> in addition to the hard drive. ZIP drives? Well, a little better if one

sets
> aside the "click of death" phenomenon that plagues them. But 100MB or

even
> 250MB is not much for backup. The best choice for backup on a single

computer
> may well be a CD burner. Mirror imaging with another disk drive works

well,
> too. But people often think of these things when it is too late to take
> reasoned and methodical action. And, sheesh, the name brand computer

companies
> are so busy selling boxes by undercutting on price, that the

run-of-the-mill
> buyer never gets educated on the costs and benefits of backup.
>
> End of rant... Ben Myers



Often the cost of back ups is that it gives a sense of "protection" in
everyday use the backups are worthless since many times the data backed up
no longer matches the system information. Another little neat device that
now holds around 1-4 GB is the USB thumb drives. I have multiple 256MB
devices for assorted programs that are needed if a system were to
malfunction. I love them.

But you are correct that the smaller and less powerful or older systems are
not worth that time and effort.

Elector


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(OT) Acceptable Use Statement for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell Usenet group . Packard Bell 2 08-21-2003 12:08 AM
Re: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Updated and Revised 08/20/2003 Elector Packard Bell 0 08-20-2003 09:59 PM
Re: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Updated and Revised 08/20/2003 Elector Packard Bell 0 08-20-2003 03:36 PM
packardbell 5750 -- sound driver David Pisco Packard Bell 2 08-14-2003 12:28 PM
Ahh the quiet in alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell Winston Packard Bell 1 07-23-2003 12:08 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment