Passive Video Card Cooler?

Harry Edwards

I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
than a month old and its OK so far.
What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

Mark A

"Harry Edwards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.02.15.05.14.13.929547@nospamanywhere .com...
> I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
> awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
> than a month old and its OK so far.
> What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
> by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
> ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

There is a forum on the Zalman website at:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm

Hopefully someone from Zalman participates and can answer if no one else
knows.

Mark A

"Harry Edwards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.02.15.05.14.13.929547@nospamanywhere .com...
> I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
> awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
> than a month old and its OK so far.
> What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
> by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
> ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

BTW, which brand is not making noise?

Mark A

"Mark A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0lDXb.527$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Harry Edwards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.02.15.05.14.13.929547@nospamanywhere .com...
> > I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that

make
> > awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is

less
> > than a month old and its OK so far.
> > What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found

one
> > by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
> > ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

> There is a forum on the Zalman website at:
> http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm
>
> Hopefully someone from Zalman participates and can answer if no one else
> knows.

I found this on the forum (I assume that "normal mode" means that the Zalman
does not work and the card must use the stock cooler):

For the user of ATI chip:

Both ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with ATI (AIW) Radeon 9800 (Pro)
graphics cards when they are cooled by additional fans (in Silent Mode) such
as FB165, FB123 w/ additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1
for ZM80C-HP. Lower models from ATI having 2 mounting holes on the PCB can
be cooled by ZM80A-HP (or ZM80C-HP) without additional fan.

Exceptionally, ATI (AIW) Radeon 9800 XT should be cooled in Normal Mode.

For the user of nVidia chip:

ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with GeForce FX 5600 or lower models
from nVidia without additional fan cooling such as FB165, FB123 w/
additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1 for ZM80C-HP.

GeForce FX 5700 or higher models from nVidia can be used with ZM80A-HP or
ZM80C-HP with additional fan cooling in Silent Mode.

Exceptionally, GeForce FX 5900 (Ultra) and 5950 Ultra should be cooled in
Normal Mode.

Regards,
Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN

Harry Edwards

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:21:16 -0700, Mark A wrote:

> "Harry Edwards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.02.15.05.14.13.929547@nospamanywhere .com...
>> I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
>> awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
>> than a month old and its OK so far.
>> What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
>> by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
>> ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

> BTW, which brand is not making noise?

MSI. But I have Two MSI cards one is and one is not.

Harry Edwards

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:38:57 -0700, Mark A wrote:

> "Mark A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0lDXb.527$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Harry Edwards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsan.2004.02.15.05.14.13.929547@nospamanywhere .com...
>> > I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that

> make
>> > awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is

> less
>> > than a month old and its OK so far.
>> > What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found

> one
>> > by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
>> > ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

>> There is a forum on the Zalman website at:
>> http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm
>>
>> Hopefully someone from Zalman participates and can answer if no one else
>> knows.
>>

> ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with GeForce FX 5600 or lower models
> from nVidia without additional fan cooling such as FB165, FB123 w/
> additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1 for ZM80C-HP.
>
> Regards,
> Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN

Bingo! I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay.

I don't know where these guys get their fans, but ever since my TNT2 days
I have had issues with GPU fans from nvidia.

Mark A

> Bingo! I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay.
>
> I don't know where these guys get their fans, but ever since my TNT2 days
> I have had issues with GPU fans from NVIDIA.

Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same NVIDIA
card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
quality is enormous.

Harry Edwards

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:22:53 -0700, Mark A wrote:

>> Bingo! I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay.
>>
>> I don't know where these guys get their fans, but ever since my TNT2 days
>> I have had issues with GPU fans from NVIDIA.

> Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same NVIDIA
> card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
> quality is enormous.

I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Its still bullshit though. The amount of noise the BFG model makes it
obscene. It literaly soounds like a submarine klaxon. For the amount of
money i spent on these cards - some upwards of $200 a fan that fails
within six months is completely unacceptable.
As for getting an RMA, they want me to send the card in, they'll evaluate
it and let me know if its under warranty. In the mean time my PC can sit
there with its thumb up its ass waiting for its card.

Mark A

> > Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same
NVIDIA
> > card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
> > quality is enormous.

> I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
> Its still bullshit though. The amount of noise the BFG model makes it
> obscene. It literaly soounds like a submarine klaxon. For the amount of
> money i spent on these cards - some upwards of $200 a fan that fails
> within six months is completely unacceptable.
> As for getting an RMA, they want me to send the card in, they'll evaluate
> it and let me know if its under warranty. In the mean time my PC can sit
> there with its thumb up its ass waiting for its card.

Works the same in other businesses also. I once talked to a home builder
about his construction techniques (special insulation, caulking of
sheathing, etc.) and he told me that at one time he spent extra money on
those things inside the wall to make the home tighter, more energy
efficient, and quieter. But he said that no one could see it and customers
refused to pay extra money for it, and his was loosing his ass on the extra
costs, so he went back to building crappy homes like the other builders.

But OTOH, be thankful there are companies like Zalman who have alternative
solutions.

Harry Edwards

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:33:39 -0700, Mark A wrote:

>> > Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same

> NVIDIA
>> > card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
>> > quality is enormous.

>> I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
>> Its still bullshit though. The amount of noise the BFG model makes it
>> obscene. It literaly soounds like a submarine klaxon. For the amount of
>> money i spent on these cards - some upwards of $200 a fan that fails
>> within six months is completely unacceptable.
>> As for getting an RMA, they want me to send the card in, they'll evaluate
>> it and let me know if its under warranty. In the mean time my PC can sit
>> there with its thumb up its ass waiting for its card.

> Works the same in other businesses also. I once talked to a home builder
> about his construction techniques (special insulation, caulking of
> sheathing, etc.) and he told me that at one time he spent extra money on
> those things inside the wall to make the home tighter, more energy
> efficient, and quieter. But he said that no one could see it and customers
> refused to pay extra money for it, and his was loosing his ass on the extra
> costs, so he went back to building crappy homes like the other builders.
>
> But OTOH, be thankful there are companies like Zalman who have alternative
> solutions.

I understand that. The problem is I have to spend an extra 40 bucks for a
heat sink that should have been OK in the first place. As for your
builder friend... I dunno.