PB boot diskette?

GasMan

Hi,

A friends PB computer motherboard has given up the ghost. I managed to
get a replacement MS6168 from Ebay.
I installed the m/b and brought with me a floppy disk to boot it up
with as I moved the HD to their other computer so they could use all
their programs in the meantime.

Whilst it appears to boot, it will not read he floppy which is a bog
standard Win98 boot disk.

I know about the tattoo that needs to be done with a PB PC, but does a
floppy boot disk need special info as well?

I've booted with a BART PE CD and I know the m/b is fine.

Next weekend I'll be reinstalling the HD back into the computer, and
hopefully all will be well, but I am curious as to why it will not
boot with a normal floppy.

TIA
Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

metronid

Could be many things
What is your boot sequence in bios

If you have no HD then the unit should boot from the floppy in any case
If you do have a HD it will be with the sequence of the 1st letter named

C,A will always boot from C unless C is absent
A,C will alawys boot from A first

This is true if there is a functioning boot sector on the drive

While you are in bios make sure drive A is set up properly
Should be most likely listed as Drive A 1.44MB 3.5 under the 1st menue

Also since yoiu just added a maiboard make sure you are hooked up correctly
"GasMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> A friends PB computer motherboard has given up the ghost. I managed to
> get a replacement MS6168 from Ebay.
> I installed the m/b and brought with me a floppy disk to boot it up
> with as I moved the HD to their other computer so they could use all
> their programs in the meantime.
>
> Whilst it appears to boot, it will not read he floppy which is a bog
> standard Win98 boot disk.
>
> I know about the tattoo that needs to be done with a PB PC, but does a
> floppy boot disk need special info as well?
>
> I've booted with a BART PE CD and I know the m/b is fine.
>
> Next weekend I'll be reinstalling the HD back into the computer, and
> hopefully all will be well, but I am curious as to why it will not
> boot with a normal floppy.
>
> TIA
> Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

GasMan

Metronid,

Thanks for the reply. Boot sequence was correct. i changed it to CDROM
to boot the BARTPE CD. I'll see how I get on on the weekend when I put
the HD back in. That was the reason for takig the W98 boot floppy with
me, as I knew that was the only way i could check the m/b.

Turns out I had some BARTPE Cds with me that saved the day.

I will also double check that the floppy is still bootable.