pci disabling video in dp 2000

James Bailey

I am trying to set-up a Compaq Deskpro 2000 for wireless networking.
Whenever I install the pci card the onboard video shuts down. It is
as though it is assuming the new card is a video card. The machine is
running Win 98. I did go to the compaq/hp support site, but I can't
determine exactly which model this and there seems to be quite a few.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Calkins

The serial number contains a config code that may help determine which dp
2000 you have. What is the serial number? If it has USB ports, and if you
have access to a USB wireless device, try that.

Which version of Win '98? What wireless cards are you trying?

Mike in Houston

"James Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am trying to set-up a Compaq Deskpro 2000 for wireless networking.
> Whenever I install the pci card the onboard video shuts down. It is
> as though it is assuming the new card is a video card. The machine is
> running Win 98. I did go to the compaq/hp support site, but I can't
> determine exactly which model this and there seems to be quite a few.

James Bailey

The serial is 6814BMK2P497. It is Win 98 SE. The card is Linksys
Wireless G PCI Adapter. I have one in an older and newer vanilla pc
and they work great.

Here is an interesting update, I figure if you can't beat them join
them, so I put in a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro PCI video card. The
Compaq and Win 98 SE recognized and installed drivers for the card
just fine, but when I put in the Linksys card, the video goes blank
just like the onboard video, weird!