pci-e 16x not working on linux, windows is okay

Sat_

Hi, I have oc a bit my comp:

MB: asus p5b-e
CPU: 6320 *@ 1.86GHz
stepping **: 6
cpu MHz ** : 2800.071
VCore: * * +1.36 V
vga: nvidia 8800GTS 320

The video card on linux works only at 1x
by raising the clock @110Mhz on the pci-e bus it's correctly working on
windows at 16x, in this case linux stops working, keyboard is stuck, eth0
is not working and so on..

the problem is that i almost use only linux, and i keep windows there just
as play station.

any clue on what is going on here?

thanks for any help

Sat_

Bill wrote:

> Overclocking the pci-e bus is useless unless you like system
> crashes.

I did not overclocked the pci-e bus, I had to in order to regain the 16x on
the bus

> The 1x vs 16x use by the video card is governed by the video card
> driver. It sounds like you are are using the generic nv driver in the
> linux distribution that you <ahem> failed to mention the name of.

No, I'm using the latest stable from nvidia, on my slackware 12.1

> I suggest you try for a more definitive answer in a newsgroup or
> support forum that covers the flavor of Linux you are using.

actually I have downclocked the previous configuration and I've got it
working again. it seems stable now with good temperatures and finally the
16x link on the pci-e bus.

thank you anyway.

regards

Sat_

Bill wrote:

>> I did not overclocked the pci-e bus, I had to in order to regain the 16x
>> on the bus

> First you say you didn't, then you say you did. Make up your mind.

I didn't because I didn't want to, then I was forced to.

>> > The 1x vs 16x use by the video card is governed by the video card
>> > driver. It sounds like you are are using the generic nv driver in the
>> > linux distribution that you <ahem> failed to mention the name of.

>> No, I'm using the latest stable from nvidia, on my slackware 12.1

btw, I think it's not governed by the video card driver:

# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "PCI Express"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 1X

looks like it's Xorg that sees the the Link already at 1X