PCIe 2.0 vs. 2.1 and Graphics Card

Daddy

I'm looking to upgrade the pantywaist G310 graphics card that shipped
with my Studio XPS 8100.

I've noticed that some graphics cards are designed for a PCIe 2.0 slot
while others specify a PCIe 2.1 slot. My computer has PCIe 2.0. Does
this mean that I should not choose a graphics card that is designed to
work in a PCIe 2.1 slot?

Daddy

Pen

On 2/2/2011 10:46 PM, Daddy wrote:
> I'm looking to upgrade the pantywaist G310 graphics card
> that shipped with my Studio XPS 8100.
>
> I've noticed that some graphics cards are designed for a
> PCIe 2.0 slot while others specify a PCIe 2.1 slot. My
> computer has PCIe 2.0. Does this mean that I should not
> choose a graphics card that is designed to work in a PCIe
> 2.1 slot?
>
> Daddy

It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
features.

Pen wrote:
> On 2/2/2011 10:46 PM, Daddy wrote:
>> I'm looking to upgrade the pantywaist G310 graphics card
>> that shipped with my Studio XPS 8100.
>>
>> I've noticed that some graphics cards are designed for a
>> PCIe 2.0 slot while others specify a PCIe 2.1 slot. My
>> computer has PCIe 2.0. Does this mean that I should not
>> choose a graphics card that is designed to work in a PCIe
>> 2.1 slot?
>>
>> Daddy

> It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
> features.

Thank you. So if I'm comparing two cards by the same maker (HIS,
Sapphire, etc.) and all other things are equal, I shouldn't pay extra
for a PCIe 2.1 card...I gain no unique advantage with the 2.1 card. Is
that correct?

Daddy

Pen

On 2/3/2011 9:31 AM, Daddy wrote:
> Pen wrote:
>> On 2/2/2011 10:46 PM, Daddy wrote:
>>> I'm looking to upgrade the pantywaist G310 graphics card
>>> that shipped with my Studio XPS 8100.
>>>
>>> I've noticed that some graphics cards are designed for a
>>> PCIe 2.0 slot while others specify a PCIe 2.1 slot. My
>>> computer has PCIe 2.0. Does this mean that I should not
>>> choose a graphics card that is designed to work in a PCIe
>>> 2.1 slot?
>>>
>>> Daddy

>> It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
>> features.

> Thank you. So if I'm comparing two cards by the same maker
> (HIS, Sapphire, etc.) and all other things are equal, I
> shouldn't pay extra for a PCIe 2.1 card...I gain no unique
> advantage with the 2.1 card. Is that correct?
>
> Daddy

That is correct unless you plan to use the card in a new
computer with PCIe 3.0.

Daddy

Pen wrote:
> On 2/3/2011 9:31 AM, Daddy wrote:
>> Pen wrote:

>>> It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
>>> features.

>> Thank you. So if I'm comparing two cards by the same maker
>> (HIS, Sapphire, etc.) and all other things are equal, I
>> shouldn't pay extra for a PCIe 2.1 card...I gain no unique
>> advantage with the 2.1 card. Is that correct?
>>
>> Daddy

> That is correct unless you plan to use the card in a new
> computer with PCIe 3.0.

3.0! What next...4.0?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy

PCIe and PCIe 2.0 Mirey86 Motherboards 3 07-15-2008 05:09 PM
x800 pcie x850 pcie jb ATI 1 03-26-2006 07:31 PM
Warranty proposal: replace PCIe 6600GT with a PCIe 6800. YES or NO? Pascal Lemberge Nvidia 8 11-05-2005 08:07 PM
GA-8I945P Dual Graphic: PCIe x4 in 2nd PCIe x16? Nick Gigabyte 0 06-20-2005 07:30 AM
6600gt PCIe or X700Pro PCIe? Rockin Ronnie Nvidia 1 11-24-2004 08:33 PM