pen precision

Licantrop0

I noticed that my ACER Tablet PC (C302XMi) isn't very accurated
to positioning mouse cursor (and the ink point) exactly under the tip
of the pen, expecially on the border of the screen, skewing cursor
to about 0.4 cm.

I tryed to set up this, using the calibrating program included on xp,
(in landscape and protrait mode) but there is nothing to do!

you found the same problem on your tablet?
if not, this issue can be an hardware problem?

thanks.

--
Licantrop0 / Hx since 2001
Http: www.tandycenturyfox.com

Chris H.

Are you right- or left-handed, and have you set the handedness in Control
Panel? Which pen drivers does your Tablet PC use, and have you checked for
updates?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

news:uDV6y%(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris H. ha scritto:

> Are you right- or left-handed,

Right handed.

> and have you set the handedness in
> Control Panel?

yep.

> Which pen drivers does your Tablet PC use,

the default one.

> and have you checked for updates?

yes, the system is all updatized.

the strange thing is that this skew is introduced only in certain
part of the screen, in particular on the borders (i.e. when I try
to use the vertical scrollbar on a web page)

I should send the computer in assistance?

--
Licantrop0 / Hx since 2001
Http: www.tandycenturyfox.com
eMail: licantrop0-at-libero.it

Chris H.

I can't tell which "default" driver you're using. If the system uses the
Wacom driver for your pen, try downloading and installing the Penabled
driver from http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/. If you updated to Windows XP
SP2 and the Tablet PC Edition 2005, you may also want to download and
reinstall the latest graphics driver for the system, too, even if the
present driver is the same.

XP SP2 made a lot of changes to the system, and reinstalling the drivers is
very helpful. Of course, all this is only to attempt to correct the
situation. If there is something wrong with the digitizer after making sure
the system is properly current, then you should consult with the OEM support
section.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Licantrop0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris H. ha scritto:
>
>> Are you right- or left-handed,

> Right handed.
>
>> and have you set the handedness in
>> Control Panel?

> yep.
>
>> Which pen drivers does your Tablet PC use,

> the default one.
>
>> and have you checked for updates?

> yes, the system is all updatized.
>
> the strange thing is that this skew is introduced only in certain
> part of the screen, in particular on the borders (i.e. when I try
> to use the vertical scrollbar on a web page)
>
> I should send the computer in assistance?
>
> --
> Licantrop0 / Hx since 2001
> Http: www.tandycenturyfox.com
> eMail: licantrop0-at-libero.it

Jan Wagner

Licantrop0 wrote:
> I noticed that my ACER Tablet PC (C302XMi) isn't very accurated
> to positioning mouse cursor (and the ink point) exactly under the tip
> of the pen, expecially on the border of the screen, skewing cursor
> to about 0.4 cm.
>
> I tryed to set up this, using the calibrating program included on xp,
> (in landscape and protrait mode) but there is nothing to do!
>
> you found the same problem on your tablet?
> if not, this issue can be an hardware problem?

I had the same problem on c302xmi LX.T280E.138 version. With the Wacom
driver http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/ calibration works somewhat better.
Even the pen button works (though maybe this worked already with the
Acer drivers...
You'd still need to re-calibrate once in a while, and some corners still
remain slighty worse than the rest of the screen, but, overall the
cursor position should be more precise and keep well within 0.1cm -
that's if you calibrate holding the pen at the normal angle at which you
will be using it, and not perpendicular to the screen.

cheers,
- Jan

Metavalent

I've found this issue at the corners and edges on my Acer TravelMate
C110 series, too. Technically, I have the 111. The 112 is also just
another very minor variation on the C110 core model.

In addition to occasional need to recalibrate for better accuracy at the
edges, I've notice the task bar auto-hide feature is impractical to work
with via pen. I really like to have that screen real estate when I only
have 10.5" to begin with. I'm not complaining about that scree size, I
prefer the very small very light tablet because it has completely freed
me from decades of bondage carrying a leather bindered legal pad! I
sometimes still can't believe that I am now six months completely done
away with paper notepads thanks to FranklinCovey Tablet Planner and XP
Tablet Edition 2005.

Anyway, I'm going to try this "Enhanced Graphics Driver for Wacom
Penabled Tablet PCs" and see if that doesn't make a difference.

Jan Wagner wrote:
> Licantrop0 wrote:
>
>> I noticed that my ACER Tablet PC (C302XMi) isn't very accurated
>> to positioning mouse cursor (and the ink point) exactly under the tip
>> of the pen, expecially on the border of the screen, skewing cursor
>> to about 0.4 cm.
>>
>> I tryed to set up this, using the calibrating program included on xp,
>> (in landscape and protrait mode) but there is nothing to do!
>>
>> you found the same problem on your tablet?
>> if not, this issue can be an hardware problem?

> I had the same problem on c302xmi LX.T280E.138 version. With the Wacom
> driver http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/ calibration works somewhat better.
> Even the pen button works (though maybe this worked already with the
> Acer drivers...
> You'd still need to re-calibrate once in a while, and some corners still
> remain slighty worse than the rest of the screen, but, overall the
> cursor position should be more precise and keep well within 0.1cm -
> that's if you calibrate holding the pen at the normal angle at which you
> will be using it, and not perpendicular to the screen.
>
> cheers,
> - Jan

Shaun Herlihy

Although on a Compaq TC 1000 I had exactly the same
problem (suddenly noticed pen wasout of register on the
screen edges and "noisy" pen signal down one side and
calibration didn't fix it). Turned out to be the battery
in the pen. Not sure what pen design is used by ACER, but
if there is a battery , try replacing it.

terri

Hi, Shaun,

Only the TC1000 uses a battery. Acer uses an electromagnetic digitizer.
--
Terri Stratton
Editor / Owner
Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC

"Shaun Herlihy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1b0601c4dc4e$43d244f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Although on a Compaq TC 1000 I had exactly the same
> problem (suddenly noticed pen wasout of register on the
> screen edges and "noisy" pen signal down one side and
> calibration didn't fix it). Turned out to be the battery
> in the pen. Not sure what pen design is used by ACER, but
> if there is a battery , try replacing it.

Metavalent

Bummer. Turns out this driver (version 4.79) causes occasional (though
always inopportune) BSOD's ... blue screen of death on my C111. I
submitted the report to Wacom, they seem to have a reasonable form for
at least collecting this kind of data. Anyway, I very much enjoyed the
Enhanced Penabled driver's ability to redefine the way my pen works.

With Firefox it was especially nice to have the pen's side button set to
middle click for opening links in a new tab. No need to touch the
screen, just hover at a link and pen-button click -- nifty. Combine
that with setting the "hold pen to screen for right-click" recognition
at fastest speed and you get a very usable pen for gesturing web pages
backward and forward (hold pen to screen for less than a second and
pen-stroke right or left). Alas, the stable Microsoft driver that I had
to roll back to, version 5.1.2600.2180 (7/1/2001), doesn't allow for
such flexibility.