Performance 800 - Memory upgrade question

Eos

I have a Gateway Performance 800 which has 3 memory slots with one slot
holding a single module containing 128MBytes. I bought 2 x 256MB DIMM
modules from my local store, but they don't seem to be working properly. The
post shows numbers like "512MB, "152MB", and "36MB", but the bios shows the
2 x 256MB modules. That said, the PC won't make it to the splash screen of
Win XP Pro. It hangs and I have to power off then on again. Does anyone know
what the maximum amount of ram is which I can add to this machine? Also, how
do I know if the ram is working or not? Can this system take DDR modules? I
am totally confused. Any assistance appreciated.
Geo.

Ben Myers

I'm not sure what a "Performance 800" is. What speed of processor? Which
motherboard chipset?

For older Pentium II and Pentium III systems, the following guidelines apply:

A desktop motherboard with an Intel 440BX chipset is usually limited to 768MB
memory, consisting of 3x256MB 168-pin DIMMs with low-density memory chips.

A desktop motherboard with a NEWER(!) Intel 810 or 815 chipset is limited to
512MB memory, consisting of 2x256MB 168-pin DIMMs preferably with low-density
memory chips.

Chipsets for AMD processors have different limits. I can't comment on AMD
systems, 'cause I don't know enough about them.

In short, either the pair of 256s exceeds the chipset limitation of the
motherboard or the memory does not meet the motherboard's specifications. Try
the 256s one at a time and see what happens. If one works OK, install the
second.

Finally, download and run MEMTEST-86, the best and free comprehensive memory
diagnostic. I always run MEMTEST-86 when doing memory upgrades. I have NEVER
had a problem with memory installed in client's computers after I've run
MEMTEST-86 successfully... Ben Myers

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:07:11 GMT, "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have a Gateway Performance 800 which has 3 memory slots with one slot
>holding a single module containing 128MBytes. I bought 2 x 256MB DIMM
>modules from my local store, but they don't seem to be working properly. The
>post shows numbers like "512MB, "152MB", and "36MB", but the bios shows the
>2 x 256MB modules. That said, the PC won't make it to the splash screen of
>Win XP Pro. It hangs and I have to power off then on again. Does anyone know
>what the maximum amount of ram is which I can add to this machine? Also, how
>do I know if the ram is working or not? Can this system take DDR modules? I
>am totally confused. Any assistance appreciated.
>Geo.

Justin Thompson

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:07:11 GMT, "Eos"
<FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a Gateway Performance 800 which has 3 memory slots with one slot
>holding a single module containing 128MBytes. I bought 2 x 256MB DIMM
>modules from my local store, but they don't seem to be working properly. The
>post shows numbers like "512MB, "152MB", and "36MB", but the bios shows the
>2 x 256MB modules. That said, the PC won't make it to the splash screen of
>Win XP Pro. It hangs and I have to power off then on again. Does anyone know
>what the maximum amount of ram is which I can add to this machine? Also, how
>do I know if the ram is working or not? Can this system take DDR modules? I
>am totally confused. Any assistance appreciated.
>Geo.

Bens advice is sound as always.

Another option is to go to

http://www.crucial.com/

and use their "memory advisor tool"

I tool the liberty of plugging in your info and link is here (care -
link will wrap almost certainly)

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...+800&submit=Go

Looks like it uses 168-pin DIMM SDRAM, PC133 module and its
compatability is guarenteed by crucial.

Says the Mobo can use 512MB max

**************Quote ****************
The Gateway Performance 800 has a maximum capacity of 512MB.
You can achieve notable performance gains by upgrading to the 512MB
maximum. This may require that you replace the modules that are
currently in your system.
(Keep in mind that sometimes BIOS updates and other hardware
configurations can alter memory recommendations.)
**************Unquote*************

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Tweek

Even though the mainboard has three slots, the max memory for this machine
is 512MB. If you still have the 128MB module in the machine, that may be the
problem. As long as they are PC133 SDRAM modules, they should work.

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3Ybwe.8822$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I have a Gateway Performance 800 which has 3 memory slots with one slot
>holding a single module containing 128MBytes. I bought 2 x 256MB DIMM
>modules from my local store, but they don't seem to be working properly.
>The post shows numbers like "512MB, "152MB", and "36MB", but the bios shows
>the 2 x 256MB modules. That said, the PC won't make it to the splash screen
>of Win XP Pro. It hangs and I have to power off then on again. Does anyone
>know what the maximum amount of ram is which I can add to this machine?
>Also, how do I know if the ram is working or not? Can this system take DDR
>modules? I am totally confused. Any assistance appreciated.
> Geo.

Motherboard P4C-800-E same as P4C-800-E-Deluxe? news_reader Asus 3 09-04-2005 12:04 PM
DK-6-2B-800 FireWire 1394B 800 dual bay enclosure ? Leanin' Cedar Dell 2 12-18-2004 03:06 PM
System performance degrades over time ONLY with 800 MHz FSB Ken Durden Intel 12 09-15-2004 01:46 PM
P4C-800 vs P4P-800 RedRider134 Asus 3 07-06-2004 02:21 AM
400fsb vs 800 fsb 800 twice as fast ? We Live For The One We Die For The One AMD Overclocking 7 11-28-2003 03:48 PM