Phenom x6, initial impression

rms

Just installed this tonight, put it into a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with the
latest F7beta bios, and using
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...f-66c2928d6de4
first to make sure it detected all the cores.

Changed the settings to 4ghz & 1.5v vcore, and with a noctua dh-14 heatsink
it's peaking out around 55C after 1/2hr of prime95 on all cores. This is a
full 0.1v less than my 955BE C3 is stable at, so I'm very impressed, and I'd
imagine the x6 can run at 4ghz with even lower voltage or even higher
clocks.

Whatever new power-saving circuitry they added works even with cool&quiet
disabled. I'm very happy with this purchase, especially at only $30 over a
4 core 965BE, after rebates.

rms

PvdG42

"rms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hrojs1$obe$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Just installed this tonight, put it into a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with the
> latest F7beta bios, and using
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...f-66c2928d6de4
> first to make sure it detected all the cores.
>
> Changed the settings to 4ghz & 1.5v vcore, and with a noctua dh-14
> heatsink it's peaking out around 55C after 1/2hr of prime95 on all cores.
> This is a full 0.1v less than my 955BE C3 is stable at, so I'm very
> impressed, and I'd imagine the x6 can run at 4ghz with even lower voltage
> or even higher clocks.
>
> Whatever new power-saving circuitry they added works even with cool&quiet
> disabled. I'm very happy with this purchase, especially at only $30 over
> a 4 core 965BE, after rebates.
>
> rms

That sounds great. More performance, less heat :-)

I'm considering one for my Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UDH3, which has a 4/2010 BIOS
update for new CPU recognition. I can then move the "old" 855 to an AM2+
motherboard which can use it.

AGross

Hello,

Do you happen to have an AMD2+ motherboard with SB600 to see if X6
work?

Officially, SB600-based AM2+ motherboards do not support the new X6-s.

rms

> Do you happen to have an AMD2+ motherboard with SB600 to see if X6
> work?

No, sorry. I skipped one or generations this upgrade cycle, coming from
a 939 socket dualcore opteron setup

rms

Default (initial) folder view prefs?Default (initial) folder viewprefs? Keith Wiley Apple 6 01-05-2008 04:43 PM
negative impression of A8N-Sli Dragoncarer Asus 2 08-27-2005 11:19 PM
Impression I get Danny Nvidia 2 07-25-2004 12:20 AM
Dell Service Support - a good first impression so far Buck Rogers Dell 4 12-24-2003 03:41 AM
WTD MATROX IMPRESSION MGA-IMP/3/M/H Matrox 1 07-29-2003 11:55 PM