PIC/AVR PWM + RS232 simultaneously?

sky465nm@trline4.org

Are there any sub 10 USD AVR or PIC uC that can do hardware PWM at the same
time as hardware RS232 ..?
The source of my question is that I suspect that same timer is used both for
bitrate generation and for PWM frequency+duty cycle.

TT_Man

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g7d5hq$gjp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any sub 10 USD AVR or PIC uC that can do hardware PWM at the
> same
> time as hardware RS232 ..?
> The source of my question is that I suspect that same timer is used both
> for
> bitrate generation and for PWM frequency+duty cycle.

Plenty of both that will do both...... RS232 is just a few bytes, as is pwm

sky465nm@trline4.org

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Are there any sub 10 USD AVR or PIC uC that can do hardware PWM at the same
>> time as hardware RS232 ..?
>> The source of my question is that I suspect that same timer is used both for
>> bitrate generation and for PWM frequency+duty cycle.

>You suspect wrong. RTFM.

I did google it. And read the datasheet but neither would give a consistent
answer.

David Brown

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Are there any sub 10 USD AVR or PIC uC that can do hardware PWM at the same
>>> time as hardware RS232 ..?
>>> The source of my question is that I suspect that same timer is used both for
>>> bitrate generation and for PWM frequency+duty cycle.

>> You suspect wrong. RTFM.

> I did google it. And read the datasheet but neither would give a consistent
> answer.

The datasheet will only mention resource sharing - they won't bother
explicitly writing that the timers and counters for PWM and UART are
separate, since that is obvious to anyone who has any knowledge of
microcontrollers, or who is able to think a little and use a little
common sense.

Where resources are shared (sometimes several timers will share a
prescaler, for example), the datasheet will say so.

Perhaps you are mixing up a feature that some microcontrollers have
(such as MSP430 devices) that have a "UART mode" for their timers. This
is an alternative mode for the timer (other modes include capture modes,
and PWM) to make it easier to make a software UART. It is not a full
hardware UART - it's just a timer mode.

David R Brooks

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Are there any sub 10 USD AVR or PIC uC that can do hardware PWM at the same
> time as hardware RS232 ..?
> The source of my question is that I suspect that same timer is used both for
> bitrate generation and for PWM frequency+duty cycle.

The AtMega08 certainly can - it's doing it on my bench, right now.
I expect the other AtMegas can too.

IS7-V2 PWM and System temp locations on board? Jardi Abit 3 10-06-2005 09:54 AM
AI7 PWM heatsinking experiment RMC Abit 3 11-01-2004 05:11 AM
AI7 "PWM" cooling RMC Abit 7 10-16-2004 02:01 AM
Hardware Doctor: What is PWM? Rieper Abit 1 10-01-2003 05:23 PM
IS-7 High PWM Temp Readings??? Bob Shock Abit 1 09-08-2003 04:49 PM