PIC with wifi module

que63

I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wif
transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I wan
to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and displa
it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powere
and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/I
protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of informatio
from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks

---------------------------------------

linnix

On Oct 2, 11:09*am, "que63" <abdique63@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

You can rule out PIC18 for TCP/IP WiFi. You need lot of memories.

> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks

PIC24FJ256 should do, with a USB WiFi adapter call Android. Anyway,
that's what we are doing.

Claude

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, abdique63
@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...

> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.
Not all pic18 support this.
For the microchip TCPIP stack at least 128kb rom and 64kb ram are
required I think.
You'd be best of with a pic32, but it's a totally new architecture.

Then on how to exchange data: you have many options.
There are a number of way to use custom sockets with Microchip TCPIP
stack, but I can't give you any advice as I haven't personally used any.

Claudio

John Temples

On 2011-10-03, Claude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, abdique63
> @n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...
>>
>> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
>> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
>> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
>> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
>> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

> Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.

Why would he want or need an Ethernet part to interface to a MRF24WB0MA?

--
John W. Temples, III

dp

On Oct 5, 9:12*am, John Temples <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2011-10-03, Claude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, abdique63
> > @n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com says...

> >> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> >> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....Iwant
> >> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> >> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> >> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

> > Be sure you're picking an ethernet part.

> Why would he want or need an Ethernet part to interface to a MRF24WB0MA?

Why would he interface it at all. Yet another undocumented wifi
part. "Works with the free tcp stack", great.
If I need something which "works with", I'd go for a readily available
TV-set, phone, notebook, whatever.
If I design a part in I expect it to be documented so I can at least
talk to it if not reprogram it.
But this is the wifi reality today, unfortunately. Someone(s?) was
busy
buying out and killing all documented wifi parts which used to be on
the market at the beginning and nobody in the trade seems to notice
or object that.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tg...7600228621276/

Ulf Samuelsson

que63 skrev 2011-10-02 20:09:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Have a look at the WiFi stuff at http://www.hd-wireless.se/
There is a module which has a UART interface.

http://www.hd-wireless.se/index.php?...article&id=130

I think you can get the stuff through Arrow.
If you can skip the PIC, there is ready software for AVR32s.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson

Olimex

On 2 οΛΤ, 21:09, "que63" <abdique63@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi
> transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want
> to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display
> it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered
> and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.
>
> The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP
> protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information
> from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks
>
> --------------------------------------- š š š š
> Posted throughhttp://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

www.olimex.com/dev check for MOD-WIFI there is demo web server done
with this module and PIC32-MX460LCD but it will work with any of our
PIC board which have UEXT connector, Microchip web stack provide easy
way to make TCP-IP to RS232 bridge

Best regards
Tsvetan

A7N8X-E Deluxe Wifi Module JJ Asus 2 08-17-2005 07:51 AM
p4c800-e dlx usb 2.0 module and 1394 module TawmcaT Asus 1 07-14-2005 12:39 AM
PIC MSSP module in I2C mode Ralf Hildebrandt Embedded 2 06-16-2004 09:37 PM
HP Compaq nc8000 Trusted Platform Module (TPM) security module Karl Magdono Laptops 1 01-17-2004 08:24 AM
K8V Deluve: WiFi module is optional? Zeneca Asus 5 12-01-2003 03:34 AM