PING Jef: Can I Combine 2 Drives in a RAID, and A 3rd Drive Stand-Alone(KT7-RAID) ??

D Larsen

Hi, Jef !

Hope all is well with you and the Bird <g> !

The subject basically says it.....did a quick review of the Manual and
the Abit FAQs, and I didn't find a direct answer to my question, so I'll
put it here <g> !

I'm running out of disk space on my "main" machine, so I'm shuffling
some hard drives around (bought a new WD 160 gig drive...that's going
into a caddy, formatted in FAT32). My main machine (a Soyo Dragon Plus)
is running 2 20 gig drives in a RAID array on the Promise controller
(dual boot, Win 98 and Win XP). I want to replace those 2 with a single
120 gig drive I have...I plan to do an image (Power Quest Drive Image
2002) to the 120 gig drive.....

The basement machine is Patty's KT7-RAID that currently has 1 80 gig
drive running off the HPT controller (non-RAID; using for the ATA 100
support). My question is, can I add the 2 20 gig drives that come out
of my Soyo machine as a RAID setup on my KT7, and still keep the
existing 80 gig drive as the boot drive/stand alone drive off the HPT
controller ? The 2 drives in the KT7 RAID will be built from
scratch....The OS is Win 98 on that machine....

Thanks for any advice !

Dean....

Bird JanitorŽ

D Larsen wrote:

| Hi, Jef !
|
| Hope all is well with you and the Bird <g> !
|
| The subject basically says it.....did a quick review of the Manual
| and the Abit FAQs, and I didn't find a direct answer to my question,
| so I'll put it here <g> !
|
| I'm running out of disk space on my "main" machine, so I'm
| shuffling some hard drives around (bought a new WD 160 gig drive...
| that's going into a caddy, formatted in FAT32). My main machine
| (a Soyo Dragon Plus) is running 2 20 gig drives in a RAID array on
| the Promise controller (dual boot, Win 98 and Win XP). I want to
| replace those 2 with a single 120 gig drive I have...I plan to do an
| image (Power Quest Drive Image 2002) to the 120 gig drive.....
|
| The basement machine is Patty's KT7-RAID that currently has 1 80
| gig drive running off the HPT controller (non-RAID; using for the ATA
| 100 support). My question is, can I add the 2 20 gig drives that
| come out of my Soyo machine as a RAID setup on my KT7, and still
| keep the existing 80 gig drive as the boot drive/stand alone drive off
| the HPT controller ? The 2 drives in the KT7 RAID will be built from
| scratch....The OS is Win 98 on that machine....
|
| Thanks for any advice !
|
| Dean....

Hi Dean -

Sure. It'll work. I'd think you'll want the two drives making up the RAID
on separate channels for maximum performance (either both Master or both
Slave).

You've got the ability to do an image of the existing drive? If so, make
one beforehand, just in case something goes horribly wrong. Or play it safe
and connect up only the drives you'll be configuring as a RAID array and
boot into the Highpoint BIOS and define the array. This is destructive to
the data on the drives. Once done you can shut down and reconnect the
original drive to the controller.

Once done, you'll need to install the driver for the Highpoint controller so
that Windows will see the RAID array. The manual lists the instructions for
installing the drivers under Windows 98/ME. You'll want the version 2.351
drivers, which can be picked up at http://www.highpoint-tech.com (click on
Support then RocketRAID 100 to find them).

As I type Miguel is saying "you're the bird, you're the bird, you're the
bird..." (repeat until you're insane). R2 is making sawdust out of her
perch on the kitchen counter.

Nice to see you on the NG.

Jef

D Larsen

Thanks, Jef !

I figured I'd be able to do what I'm thinking, but I appreciate your
"confirmation" !

The advice to image the 80 gig drive is a good one, too....I think I can
get an image there (just in case), but if I crap up that drive, there's
nothing really critical on that drive anyway...

RE: the drivers, I have the bios you modded, and you thoughtfully
included the HPT drivers in your zip file with the modded bios, so I got
'em already <g> !

Hmmmm....NOW I remember why you use "Bird JanitorŽ" <g>

Thanks again !

Dean....

"Bird JanitorŽ" wrote:

> D Larsen wrote:
> |
> | Hi, Jef !
> |
> | Hope all is well with you and the Bird <g> !
> |
> | The subject basically says it.....did a quick review of the Manual
> | and the Abit FAQs, and I didn't find a direct answer to my question,
> | so I'll put it here <g> !
> |
> | I'm running out of disk space on my "main" machine, so I'm
> | shuffling some hard drives around (bought a new WD 160 gig drive...
> | that's going into a caddy, formatted in FAT32). My main machine
> | (a Soyo Dragon Plus) is running 2 20 gig drives in a RAID array on
> | the Promise controller (dual boot, Win 98 and Win XP). I want to
> | replace those 2 with a single 120 gig drive I have...I plan to do an
> | image (Power Quest Drive Image 2002) to the 120 gig drive.....
> |
> | The basement machine is Patty's KT7-RAID that currently has 1 80
> | gig drive running off the HPT controller (non-RAID; using for the ATA
> | 100 support). My question is, can I add the 2 20 gig drives that
> | come out of my Soyo machine as a RAID setup on my KT7, and still
> | keep the existing 80 gig drive as the boot drive/stand alone drive off
> | the HPT controller ? The 2 drives in the KT7 RAID will be built from
> | scratch....The OS is Win 98 on that machine....
> |
> | Thanks for any advice !
> |
> | Dean....
>
> Hi Dean -
>
> Sure. It'll work. I'd think you'll want the two drives making up the RAID
> on separate channels for maximum performance (either both Master or both
> Slave).
>
> You've got the ability to do an image of the existing drive? If so, make
> one beforehand, just in case something goes horribly wrong. Or play it safe
> and connect up only the drives you'll be configuring as a RAID array and
> boot into the Highpoint BIOS and define the array. This is destructive to
> the data on the drives. Once done you can shut down and reconnect the
> original drive to the controller.
>
> Once done, you'll need to install the driver for the Highpoint controller so
> that Windows will see the RAID array. The manual lists the instructions for
> installing the drivers under Windows 98/ME. You'll want the version 2.351
> drivers, which can be picked up at http://www.highpoint-tech.com (click on
> Support then RocketRAID 100 to find them).
>
> As I type Miguel is saying "you're the bird, you're the bird, you're the
> bird..." (repeat until you're insane). R2 is making sawdust out of her
> perch on the kitchen counter.
>
> Nice to see you on the NG.
>
> Jef

Bird JanitorŽ

D Larsen wrote:

| Thanks, Jef !
|
| I figured I'd be able to do what I'm thinking, but I appreciate
| your "confirmation" !
|
| The advice to image the 80 gig drive is a good one, too....I
| think I can get an image there (just in case), but if I crap up
| that drive, there's nothing really critical on that drive anyway...
|
| RE: the drivers, I have the bios you modded, and you thoughtfully
| included the HPT drivers in your zip file with the modded bios, so
| I got 'em already <g> !
|
| Hmmmm....NOW I remember why you use "Bird JanitorŽ" <g>
|
| Thanks again !
|
| Dean....

Hi Dean -

Now that we've revisited Bird JanitorŽ, does anyone remember why "Lurking
Rat in 'Da HoodŽ" came to pass?

TomG will know, if he ever washes up again from his latest overboard
adventure/bender. <g>

Happy to provide the confirmation you needed. It's not too difficult to go
into the Highpoint BIOS and set up a RAID array, specifying which disks you
want to use and leaving the rest of the controller for use with independent
hard disks.

Post back how you make out setting it up.

Jef

Patty

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:09:55 -0400, D Larsen wrote:

> Thanks, Jef !
>
> I figured I'd be able to do what I'm thinking, but I appreciate your
> "confirmation" !
>
> The advice to image the 80 gig drive is a good one, too....I think I can
> get an image there (just in case), but if I crap up that drive, there's
> nothing really critical on that drive anyway...
>
> RE: the drivers, I have the bios you modded, and you thoughtfully
> included the HPT drivers in your zip file with the modded bios, so I got
> 'em already <g> !
>
> Hmmmm....NOW I remember why you use "Bird JanitorŽ" <g>
>
> Thanks again !
>
> Dean....

Glad you're still getting use out of that KT7, Dean. I'm happy with my
NF7-S and the CPU that Jef (what a guy!) sent me.

Patty

Bird JanitorŽ

Patty wrote:

| ... Jef (what a guy!) ...

Aw.... {blush} ... you've gone and made me all snuggly and cuddly!

Jef

ps .. was happy to help!