Ping NZ Mac users: WTB - mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ

Jamie Kahn Genet

Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

David Empson

Jamie Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
> reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

I was surprised to find several listings (for the same manufacturer:
8ware), given they are only useful on older Mac models.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mini+...apter+site:.nz

If you don't want to muck around with TradeMe, I buy most of my locally
sourced computer bits from Ascent. Here is their listing:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=393702

Ascent's pricing is structured to include freight, so if you order two
or more of the same item at once, you save on the freight costs for the
extra ones.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

nathalie_n

In article <1ka63pv.1397j355ldxuyN%(E-Mail Removed) >, Jamie
Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
> reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

Look here :

<http://s.dealextreme.com/search/mini+DVI>

They are quite cheap and reliable.

--
nathalie
Progress is the process by which Usenet has evolved from smart people

M-M

(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

> Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
> reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.
>
> TIA,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.

You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

JF Mezei

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
> reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

While Apple doesn't make them, the Apple stores sell some Belkin ones.

Jamie Kahn Genet

On Nov 4, 2:22*am, M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <1ka63pv.1397j355ldxuyN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> *(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
>
> > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
> > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

> > TIA,
> > *Jamie Kahn Genet

> Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
> carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.
>
> You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
> mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?
>
> --
> m-m
> Photo Gallery:http://www.mhmyers.com

Because the monitor I want has HDMI input only.

Jamie Kahn Genet

On Nov 3, 11:39*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
> Jamie Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
> > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

> I was surprised to find several listings (for the same manufacturer:
> 8ware), given they are only useful on older Mac models.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=mini+...apter+site:.nz
>
> If you don't want to muck around with TradeMe, I buy most of my locally
> sourced computer bits from Ascent. Here is their listing:
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=393702
>
> Ascent's pricing is structured to include freight, so if you order two
> or more of the same item at once, you save on the freight costs for the
> extra ones.
>
> --
> David Empson
> (E-Mail Removed)

Yeah, I like Ascent too, but for some reason my search on their site
failed... what did I do wrong the day before? *scratches head* Well,
never mind. That's exactly what I want for exactly the right price.
Cheers David! You're a great regular to have here.

Paul Sture

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 04:35:41 -0700, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Yeah, I like Ascent too, but for some reason my search on their site
> failed... what did I do wrong the day before? *scratches head* Well,
> never mind. That's exactly what I want for exactly the right price.

FWIW one of my local websites I use to source kit occasionally burps. One
day it told me that they didn't supply any Firewire drives at all; the
next day it was fine.

--
Paul Sture

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to
determine whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln

Michelle Steiner

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jamie Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
> > > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

> > > TIA,
> > > *Jamie Kahn Genet

> > Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
> > carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.
> >
> > You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
> > mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?
> >
> > --
> > m-m
> > Photo Gallery:http://www.mhmyers.com

> Because the monitor I want has HDMI input only.

What are you outputting from?

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Jamie Kahn Genet

On Nov 5, 6:38*am, Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
> > > carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.

> > > You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
> > > mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?

> > > --
> > > m-m
> > > Photo Gallery:http://www.mhmyers.com

> > Because the monitor I want has HDMI input only.

> What are you outputting from?

Mid-2007 24" iMac