Planning to buy a Q6600: What RAM, which Mainboard?

Daniel Albuschat

Hello,

I'm currently a bit frustrated about my setup, because my new
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB is just too big for my CPU, a Pentium D
2.8GHz.

I've overclocked the Pentium D to about 4GHz, but it's still
slow in comparison to a Core 2 Duo or even a Core 2 Quad.

Well, I got a few questions about the CPU-upgrade, though:
I have a watercooled system that has no problem on keeping
the overclocked Pentium D and the highly overclocked GeForce
quite cool: The CPU does not hit the 60C and the GPU is around
52C at maximum load (the Pentium D is a hot beast).

So it'd be quite natural that I try overclocking the Q6600, too.

What's a good board (that's not extremely expensive) and can
I keep my DDR2-800 RAM? Is DDR2-800 a good idea for a Q6600, anyways?

By the way, I'm one of the P5WD2-E Premium owners that are
currently *very* frustrated that the board does not support
Core 2 Duo. :-(

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel Albuschat

[...]

As this seems to be very similar to the previous post:
I don't want to spend the bucks I'd need for an ASUS Striker
Extreme. :-)
It should really be a bit less expensive...

Ed M.

"Daniel Albuschat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ff9kbc$pbn$01$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> [...]
>
> As this seems to be very similar to the previous post:
> I don't want to spend the bucks I'd need for an ASUS Striker
> Extreme. :-)
> It should really be a bit less expensive...

The Asus P5N32E SLI is based on the same 680I chipset as the Striker Extreme
with less bells and whistles and the NB/SB cooling is a bit less effective
as the Striker, but it works well. There are others here that have used the
EVGA 680i board (forget the model) with success.

Ed

Daniel Albuschat

Ed M. schrieb:
> "Daniel Albuschat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ff9kbc$pbn$01$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
>> [...]
>>
>> As this seems to be very similar to the previous post:
>> I don't want to spend the bucks I'd need for an ASUS Striker
>> Extreme. :-)
>> It should really be a bit less expensive...

> The Asus P5N32E SLI is based on the same 680I chipset as the Striker Extreme
> with less bells and whistles and the NB/SB cooling is a bit less effective
> as the Striker, but it works well. There are others here that have used the
> EVGA 680i board (forget the model) with success.

Thanks for the answer, I think the P5N32E SLI would be exactly what I
needed. I just read about the new Intel X38 chipset which supports
DDR2 and DDR3 at 1333MHz, PCI-e 2.0 and the upcoming Penryn (45nm)
cores, so I will definitely wait for a board with this chipset!
The only downside is that there will be no SLI-support :-(

Regards,

Daniel

Phil Weldon

'Daniel Albuschat' wrote:
| There actually *is* already a X38 Motherboard out there:
| The Gigabyte X38-DQ6. Here's a test:
| http://www.pcper.com/article.php?typ...&aid=462&pid=2
|
| It seems to be really cool, according to that article.
_____

Other than the fact that the X38 is an Intel chip, it doesn't look very
interesting at all. Certainly not at the possible risk of SLI (if that is
important to you.) The nVidia 680i chipset still seems to be the better
choice. And when the Nelahem arrives, neither chipset will do.

Phil Weldon

"Daniel Albuschat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ffah3q$922$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
| Daniel Albuschat schrieb:
| > Ed M. schrieb:
| >> "Daniel Albuschat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >> news:ff9kbc$pbn$01$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...

| >> The Asus P5N32E SLI is based on the same 680I chipset as the Striker
| >> Extreme with less bells and whistles and the NB/SB cooling is a bit
| >> less effective as the Striker, but it works well. There are others
| >> here that have used the EVGA 680i board (forget the model) with
success.

| > Thanks for the answer, I think the P5N32E SLI would be exactly what I
| > needed. I just read about the new Intel X38 chipset which supports
| > DDR2 and DDR3 at 1333MHz, PCI-e 2.0 and the upcoming Penryn (45nm)
| > cores, so I will definitely wait for a board with this chipset!
| > The only downside is that there will be no SLI-support :-(
|
| There actually *is* already a X38 Motherboard out there:
| The Gigabyte X38-DQ6. Here's a test:
| http://www.pcper.com/article.php?typ...&aid=462&pid=2
|
| It seems to be really cool, according to that article.
|
| Daniel

Daniel Albuschat