I played a new system this weekend

nut cracker

I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.

I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.

It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
more responsive.

Just thought i would share...

NuTs

Dave

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:

> I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
> rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
> ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
>
> I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
>
> It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
> more responsive.
>
> Just thought i would share...
>
> NuTs

I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
too.

Kai Robinson

news:401e87e9$0$2430$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
>
> > I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off

gaming
> > rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have

1G
> > ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
> >
> > I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
> >
> > It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it

would be
> > more responsive.
> >
> > Just thought i would share...
> >
> > NuTs

> I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
> too.

I like unreal 2 - excellent weapons, good level design, great characters and
storyline - and a few interesting twists.

Andrew

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:43:34 +0100, "Kai Robinson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I like unreal 2 - excellent weapons, good level design, great characters and
>storyline - and a few interesting twists.

I am sure Legend will be pleased to hear that someone liked it. They
can put that on their headstone.
--
Andrew. To email unscramble (E-Mail Removed) & remove spamtrap.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

nut cracker

Its like I said... it looked beautiful, and the game play (story line,
etc..) was nice. I liked playing it, but i thought it would be more...
something.

Its just for a 64 bit proc, 1GB of Ram, and the most kick-ass nVidia GPU
available.... I was expecting more. Its not that I am commenting on the game
titles, its my disappointment in my experience with the collection of
hardware. Of course, they may have been running XP32bit and not XP64, which
might have made a difference. I dont know. I guess I expected something...
different. I guess I thought the diff would fell like going from a PIII 750
to an Athlon XP 2100 + (which was HUGE....).... oh well..

I did get a cool black keyboard for like $3.00 though. And some 80MM case
fans with LOOOONNNGGGG 3pin power cables for $6 each. The day wasnt a a
complete loss.

Cheers,

NuTs

"Kai Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401e8c43$0$19002$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:401e87e9$0$2430$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
> >
> > > I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off

> gaming
> > > rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to

have
> 1G
> > > ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
> > >
> > > I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
> > >
> > > It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it

> would be
> > > more responsive.
> > >
> > > Just thought i would share...
> > >
> > > NuTs

> > I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
> > too.
> >

> I like unreal 2 - excellent weapons, good level design, great characters

and
> storyline - and a few interesting twists.

John Lewis

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:21:46 +0000, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
>
>> I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
>> rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
>> ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
>>
>> I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
>>
>> It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
>> more responsive.
>>
>> Just thought i would share...
>>
>> NuTs

>I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
>too.

Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.
COD MP reputedly will get PunkBuster someday.

John Lewis

Andrew

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:09:55 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (John Lewis)
wrote:

>Unreal2 never got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.

Erm, what is this then?

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1071024112/
--
Andrew. To email unscramble (E-Mail Removed) & remove spamtrap.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

James Riske

wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:21:46 +0000, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
>>
>>> I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
>>> rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
>>> ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.
>>>
>>> I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
>>>
>>> It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
>>> more responsive.
>>>
>>> Just thought i would share...
>>>
>>> NuTs

>>I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
>>too.
>>

>Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
>amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
>At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
>got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.
>COD MP reputedly will get PunkBuster someday.
>
>John Lewis

http://www.unreal2.com/download_xmp.html

It has been out for a while.

--
"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Walter Mitty

(E-Mail Removed) (John Lewis) brightened my day with his incisive
wit when in news:(E-Mail Removed) he conjectured that:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:21:46 +0000, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:
>>
>>> I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off
>>> gaming rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It
>>> claimed to have 1G ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950
>>> Ultra.
>>>
>>> I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.
>>>
>>> It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it
>>> would be more responsive.
>>>
>>> Just thought i would share...
>>>
>>> NuTs

>>I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
>>too.
>>

> Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
> amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
> At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
> got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.

Actually there were no assertions before its release.

However they certainly DID release multiplayer : and a very good
multiplayer too.

John Lewis

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:40:07 +0100, Walter Mitty
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (John Lewis) brightened my day with his incisive
>wit when in news:(E-Mail Removed) he conjectured that:

>>>I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
>>>too.
>>>

>> Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
>> amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
>> At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
>> got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.

>Actually there were no assertions before its release.
>
>However they certainly DID release multiplayer : and a very good
>multiplayer too.

oops... many apologies... brain f**t.......too much coffee too late
at night....

Thanks to all for setting me straight.

John Lewis