PlayStation4 update: Larrabee or no Larrabee, Sony undecided

AirRaid

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2.../kaigai492.htm

- PSP2 is under development right now. Basically a Wii-tized PSP with
minor performance boost and major increase in storage. Optional
cellphone module.

- Update on PSX4. SCEI explored two options, Wii-tized PSX3 and
Larrabee box last summer. 3rd party survey on Wii-tized PSX3 came out
to be very negative, while internal 1st party developers said they
could swallow CELL again. As for Larrabee PSX4, Hiroshige's sources
are in conflict. One source say it was ruled out, while the other say
SCEI's still evaluating, especially after Wii-tized PSX3 survey turned
out to be very negative.

- Larrabee PSX4 box has only Larrabee, no separate CPU.

- Which way SCEI goes, SCEI plans to beat Xbox 3's launch with PSX4.

Robert Myers

On Feb 25, 4:18*pm, liturgy <> wrote:

> All the same, I'll probably be one of the suckers to get one at launch
> if any available. *I'm really interested in seeing what the
> "next-next-gen" consoles will be like in a few years time.

That "let's see what you got for an encore" mentality may be all there
is to keep things moving for now.

As to the snobs here and elsewhere, the world owes much to gamers. Be
nice.

Robert.

AirRaid

On Feb 25, 3:18*pm, liturgy <> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:06:49 -0800 (PST), AirRaid
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2.../kaigai492.htm

> >- PSP2 is under development right now. Basically a Wii-tized PSP with
> >minor performance boost and major increase in storage. Optional
> >cellphone module.

> >- Update on PSX4. SCEI explored two options, Wii-tized PSX3 and
> >Larrabee box last summer. 3rd party survey on Wii-tized PSX3 came out
> >to be very negative, while internal 1st party developers said they
> >could swallow CELL again. As for Larrabee PSX4, Hiroshige's sources
> >are in conflict. One source say it was ruled out, while the other say
> >SCEI's still evaluating, especially after Wii-tized PSX3 survey turned
> >out to be very negative.

> >- Larrabee PSX4 box has only Larrabee, no separate CPU.

> >- Which way SCEI goes, SCEI plans to beat Xbox 3's launch with PSX4.

> All the same, I'll probably be one of the suckers to get one at launch
> if any available. *I'm really interested in seeing what the
> "next-next-gen" consoles will be like in a few years time.

It would simply be next-gen consoles, PS4, XB3, Wii2, for the
2011-2013 timeframe.

'next-next-gen' would mean PS5, XB4, Wii3 in the 2018-2020 timeframe.