please suggest Q6600 mobo

john

I haven't been keeping up with motherboards for a year. What now is a good
overclocking mobo for the quad core Q6600? It is used mainly for video
editing and encoding: one 2D video card with dual link (for 2560 x 1600
monitor), 2 to 4G DDR2, winxp or vista (may also setup a virtual pc), many
hard drives. I'm not looking for extreme overclocking, just the most bang
for the buck kind of overclocking (none or slight voltage increase, but be
able to increase voltage more if I want to). Probably something under $150.

It is also nice to be able to put in a faster quad core CPU (the ones
selling for $1K now) a few years later when they become cheap, and then be
able to increase oc more.

Should I get 800Mhz ddr2 (very common and cheap) or something faster? When
oc the board, am I going to hit the CPU limit first or the memory?

aab@cichlid.com

On Aug 23, 6:30*pm, "Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> *I suggest you rethink your approach. *No $1000 US non-Xeon Intel CPUs
> will EVER be 'cheap'.

The exception to this is ebay. Unopened box factory sealed QX6850
sell for $300-$350. It's more a a risk than say Newegg, though both
ebay
and paypal offer buyer protection. I haven't read the fine print.

> two year old 'Extreme' CPU provides less performance
> than a two year newer CPU that is not an 'Extreme' version.

Less heat for sure.

Performance? Maybe. The thing with unlocked CPUs is you can overclock
_only_ the cpu. The rest of the motherboard can stay stock.
These ebay cpus are priced the same as Neweggs Q9550 today. They are
next gen (45nm VS 65nm, 12MB cache VS 8MB) but locked at 2.83GHz.
As soon as you overclock them, the FSB/Northbridge/Southbridge get
overclocked too. It sounds like the QX6850 goes to 4Ghz easily with no
stress
on the rest of the mb, not so with the Q9550. You won't be able to use
stock cooling.

It's not an easy call, IMHO.

> *Motherboard recommendation? *Almost anything within your price range
> that has good reviews.

The 48X chipset has good reviews, from a overclock friendly
manufacturer
like Abit or Asus (there are others)

> "john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:g8l6oj$t6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >It is used mainly for video
> >editing and encoding: one 2D video card with dual link (for 2560 x 1600
> >monitor), 2 to 4G DDR2

I would get 8GB for video editing, pretty cheap these days.

> > Should I get 800Mhz ddr2 (very common and cheap) or something faster? When
> > oc the board, am I going to hit the CPU limit first or the memory?

Then trend in OC seems to be not to OC the memory. Perhaps the
CPU caches make this less important. You could just buy
the fastest memory supported by your mb for not much more money.

HTH

Andrew

Please suggest USB to RS232 adapter that works 100% Tomás Ó hÉilidhe Embedded 17 07-31-2008 01:19 AM
mobo for Q6600? peter Overclocking 1 09-09-2007 02:23 PM
I need a simple tv capture card, can someone suggest please???? BOB Nvidia 1 04-11-2006 11:51 PM
Please suggest... iTsMeMa AMD Overclocking 4 02-26-2004 04:04 PM
please suggest a good book for PCB Design Harshit Embedded 3 10-28-2003 03:45 PM