Jim George

Hi all,
I bought a PNY 6600GT PCI-E recently, because I wanted a card with DVI
on the first monitor output (the only other one with this feature that I
found was XFX, which was out of stock on NewEgg). I bought the PNY
because I got tired of waiting, but then later I found that while there
are some scattered reviews of the PNY 6800 GT, there's nothing on the
6600 GT.
Anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with this card? It's been working
fine for me (stable, no artifacts, temp's within safe limits), I've not
tried to OC it yet. It's sitting on an MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI mobo.
Here's one problem I'm having with this setup: I can't get Fedora Core
3 to work properly. On bootup in framebuffer mode, the screen's garbled.
FC3 does not recognize the card, so it uses the VESA driver, which also
shows a garbled screen. The odd thing is that the installer works fine.
Anyway, I booted FC3 without the framebuffer in runlevel 3, got the
nVidia drivers and set it up according to the instructions on the
readme. X now starts, but I can't get the resolution to change from what
appears to be 800x600 16 bit. Any ideas? Most reports on Linux on this
card seem to say it works fine after putting in the new drivers, but
then it may be my mobo which is causing this.
Thanks!
-Jim

DaveL

It looks like a decent card. It has heatsinks on the ram chips. Most other
6600GTs don't have that. I have heard bad things about PNY warranties. As
far as games go it should be the same as any other manufacturer. You should
be more concerned with what version nvidia driver you are using.

DaveL

"Jim George" <jimgeorge_@_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I bought a PNY 6600GT PCI-E recently, because I wanted a card with DVI on
> the first monitor output (the only other one with this feature that I
> found was XFX, which was out of stock on NewEgg). I bought the PNY because
> I got tired of waiting, but then later I found that while there are some
> scattered reviews of the PNY 6800 GT, there's nothing on the 6600 GT.
> Anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with this card? It's been working
> fine for me (stable, no artifacts, temp's within safe limits), I've not
> tried to OC it yet. It's sitting on an MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI mobo.
> Here's one problem I'm having with this setup: I can't get Fedora Core 3
> to work properly. On bootup in framebuffer mode, the screen's garbled. FC3
> does not recognize the card, so it uses the VESA driver, which also shows
> a garbled screen. The odd thing is that the installer works fine. Anyway,
> I booted FC3 without the framebuffer in runlevel 3, got the nVidia drivers
> and set it up according to the instructions on the readme. X now starts,
> but I can't get the resolution to change from what appears to be 800x600
> 16 bit. Any ideas? Most reports on Linux on this card seem to say it works
> fine after putting in the new drivers, but then it may be my mobo which is
> causing this.
> Thanks!
> -Jim

Benjamin Gawert

Jim George wrote:

> I bought a PNY 6600GT PCI-E recently, because I wanted a card with DVI
> on the first monitor output (the only other one with this feature
> that I found was XFX, which was out of stock on NewEgg). I bought the
> PNY because I got tired of waiting, but then later I found that while
> there are some scattered reviews of the PNY 6800 GT, there's nothing
> on the 6600 GT.
> Anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with this card?

I have the PNY Verto 6600GT PCIe in my HP xw8200 (2x XEON 3GHz, 2GB DDR2).
Very nice card...

> It's been
> working fine for me (stable, no artifacts, temp's within safe
> limits), I've not tried to OC it yet. It's sitting on an MSI Neo4
> Platinum SLI mobo. Here's one problem I'm having with this setup: I
> can't get Fedora Core 3 to work properly. On bootup in framebuffer
> mode, the screen's garbled. FC3 does not recognize the card, so it
> uses the VESA driver, which also shows a garbled screen. The odd
> thing is that the installer works fine. Anyway, I booted FC3 without
> the framebuffer in runlevel 3, got the nVidia drivers and set it up
> according to the instructions on the readme. X now starts, but I
> can't get the resolution to change from what appears to be 800x600 16
> bit. Any ideas? Most reports on Linux on this card seem to say it
> works fine after putting in the new drivers, but then it may be my
> mobo which is causing this.

Can't help You with that since I avoid Linux as much as possible, but You
should try to install the Nvidia Linux drivers which are said to be very
good...

Another thing is if FC3 can also handle the new nForce4 chipset on Your
mainboard...

Benjamin

Jim George

Well, I did try to OC my GPU recently, and I found it crashing quite
often (UT2004 would slow to about 1/2 fps). So I got myself this program
called rthdribl_1_2 from www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa , which flexes the
capabilities of the new 6xxx series cards by rendering scenes with lots
of pixel shaders and HDR. The point is I can run it windowed and still
make the GPU heat up. Looking at the nvidia control panel, the temp went
up to 85 degrees!!! This was without OCing. I guess the excess heat was
why UT crashed. I will be putting in a replacement GPU cooler as soon as
I can afford one.

Linux: I just had to modify the max horiz and vert retrace periods for
my LCD, and it now works at 1280x1024 with 3D enabled.

-Jim

A8N-SLi Deluxe and 2 PNY 6600GT SLi video cards Mark Smith Asus 2 07-03-2005 08:42 PM
PNY Memory with EPOX 8KTA3+ Glenn Epox 0 11-30-2003 11:34 AM
Help >>My geforce TI4200 by PNY died a smoky death PNY makes it impossible Helmut Nvidia 6 11-23-2003 04:15 PM
PNY not honoring rebates! ROB Asus 10 07-15-2003 02:10 AM
Re: A7N8X & PNY GF FX 5200 ultra wierd screen tearing BNR Asus 0 07-11-2003 06:10 PM