Pop goes the [mountain lion] POP?

John Albert

Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and
installed it on a spare partition just to see if I could.

Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a
option to set up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the
only option available.

Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just
trying to push the issue by denying the choice to set up for
POP if you want to?

(Aside: just switched from DSL to ATT Uverse a week ago, and
over the past 24 hours my email has become unworkable. Can
receive but can't send due to time-outs or rejected
password. Trying to get through to Uverse tech support is an
exercise in frustration)

JF Mezei

John Albert wrote:

> Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just
> trying to push the issue by denying the choice to set up for
> POP if you want to?

You can always install Dovecot yourself. Apple uses that public domain
software for the POP server.

> (Aside: just switched from DSL to ATT Uverse a week ago,

UVerse is also DSL. Just a more recent version of DSL (called VDSL2)

Are you able to telnet <name of smtp server> 25 ?

Are you using a SMTP server provided by AT&T or another provider ? AT&T
would likly block port 25. You can usually use port 587 instead of port
25 but you will liekly need to add suername/password to authenticate to
the remote SMTP server.

dorayme

In article <4f50507e$0$2717$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
John Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and
> installed it on a spare partition just to see if I could.
>
> Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a
> option to set up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the
> only option available.

All this changing of things is best explained by that you earthlings
are *bored* and have no real work to do. So you plough your energies
into making new OSs, talking about new OSs, must be new, everything
must be new, no matter that the old is quite good enough to do lots of
good work.

--
dorayme

Barry Margolin

In article <4f50507e$0$2717$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
John Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and
> installed it on a spare partition just to see if I could.
>
> Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a
> option to set up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the
> only option available.
>
> Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just
> trying to push the issue by denying the choice to set up for
> POP if you want to?

Comcast, one of the biggest ISPs in the US, doesn't offer IMAP, and has
not announced any plans to add it. So unless Apple knows something, I
think it's unlikely they'll remove POP in the final version of Lion.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Bread

On 2012-03-02 16:09:52 +0000, Barry Margolin said:

> In article <4f50507e$0$2717$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> John Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and
>> installed it on a spare partition just to see if I could.
>>
>> Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a
>> option to set up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the
>> only option available.
>>
>> Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just
>> trying to push the issue by denying the choice to set up for
>> POP if you want to?

> Comcast, one of the biggest ISPs in the US, doesn't offer IMAP, and has
> not announced any plans to add it. So unless Apple knows something, I
> think it's unlikely they'll remove POP in the final version of Lion.

Yet another reason to keep your mail provider separate from your
connectivity provider.

I, too, would be pretty surprised to see Apple stop support for POP.
Though, as I've said many times here, most folks really should move
away from it now.

Anyway, even if Apple stops supporting POP in Mail.app, there are
plenty of third-party alternatives from Thunderbird to Postbox, and
many of them integrate the built-in AddressBook just fine now.

Davoud

Bread:
> I, too, would be pretty surprised to see Apple stop support for POP.
> Though, as I've said many times here, most folks really should move
> away from it now.

If only "most folks" would acknowledge that you are a good who knows
what they should do, and not a mere mortal who really only knows what
you should do, I'm sure they would obey.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Neill Massello

John Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and
> installed it on a spare partition just to see if I could.
>
> Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a
> option to set up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the
> only option available.

You mean it won't establish an account at all with a service that only
offers POP?

> Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just
> trying to push the issue by denying the choice to set up for
> POP if you want to?

Apple has been pushing IMAP for quite a while. Recent versions of Mail
make it difficult to set up POP with a service that also offers IMAP.

> (Aside: just switched from DSL to ATT Uverse a week ago, and
> over the past 24 hours my email has become unworkable. Can
> receive but can't send due to time-outs or rejected
> password. Trying to get through to Uverse tech support is an
> exercise in frustration)

From a consumer's perspective, AT&T has become truly horrible. I'm all
for competition, but I must concede that AT&T was more consumer-friendly
when it was a government-protected monopoly.

Alan Browne

On 2012-03-01 23:45 , John Albert wrote:
> Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and installed it on a
> spare partition just to see if I could.
>
> Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a option to set
> up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the only option available.
>
> Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just trying to
> push the issue by denying the choice to set up for POP if you want to?

I hope POP remains. IMAP is a messy disaster with Gmail and my ISP's
servers.

A (quick) google on the issue doesn't show others raising the problem.
Could it be with your system in some way?

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-03-01 23:45 , John Albert wrote:
> > Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and installed it on a
> > spare partition just to see if I could.
> >
> > Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a option to set
> > up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the only option available.
> >
> > Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just trying to
> > push the issue by denying the choice to set up for POP if you want to?

> I hope POP remains. IMAP is a messy disaster with Gmail and my ISP's
> servers.
>
> A (quick) google on the issue doesn't show others raising the problem.
> Could it be with your system in some way?

I wouldn't expect much public discussion of Mountain Lion -- aren't they
all under NDA?

On 2012-03-02 17:59 , Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan Browne<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-03-01 23:45 , John Albert wrote:
>>> Got ahold of the Mountain Lion developer preview, and installed it on a
>>> spare partition just to see if I could.
>>>
>>> Went to set up the Mail app, and found there isn't even a option to set
>>> up for a POP server anymore. IMAP is now the only option available.
>>>
>>> Are POP servers indeed a thing of the past, or is Apple just trying to
>>> push the issue by denying the choice to set up for POP if you want to?

>> I hope POP remains. IMAP is a messy disaster with Gmail and my ISP's
>> servers.
>>
>> A (quick) google on the issue doesn't show others raising the problem.
>> Could it be with your system in some way?

> I wouldn't expect much public discussion of Mountain Lion -- aren't they
> all under NDA?

About specifics I guess. But other stuff leaks as it did for Lion
(changes to Finder for example, not sure if Apple "approved" that info
going out.).

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.