Portable Plus

Golfrock

I just picked up a Portable Plus with 20MB hard drive. I opened it up
and was astonished to find a clean machine! It is just beautiful.

As I was using it, some keys began to malfunction. They were working
and then just didn't. Upon taking the keyboard apart, I found that the
foam between the key and the foil that made contact to the keyboard
circuit board had basically lost its elasticity. I have begun the
process of replacing this foam on all the keys. The stuff just
crumbles. This will take some time.

I was able to use the machine for a few days. It works great. There
is a Space Invaders game on it. I put Pac-Man, Zaxxon and Defender.
The joystick port works and the Pac-Man game runs fast. The game is
older than the machine! Those games came from a website that has stuff
going WAY back.

I can't wait to finish repairing the keyboard so that I can continue
working with this piece of history.

Robert

HH

The old Compaq "Luggables" were damned near bullet-proof. They were designed
to withstand hard use for many years and were likely the most
"over-engineered" computers ever built.

HH

"Golfrock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I just picked up a Portable Plus with 20MB hard drive. I opened it up
> and was astonished to find a clean machine! It is just beautiful.
>
> As I was using it, some keys began to malfunction. They were working
> and then just didn't. Upon taking the keyboard apart, I found that the
> foam between the key and the foil that made contact to the keyboard
> circuit board had basically lost its elasticity. I have begun the
> process of replacing this foam on all the keys. The stuff just
> crumbles. This will take some time.
>
> I was able to use the machine for a few days. It works great. There
> is a Space Invaders game on it. I put Pac-Man, Zaxxon and Defender.
> The joystick port works and the Pac-Man game runs fast. The game is
> older than the machine! Those games came from a website that has stuff
> going WAY back.
>
> I can't wait to finish repairing the keyboard so that I can continue
> working with this piece of history.
>
> Robert

Golfrock

Does anyone have a source for downloading a diagnostic disk or drivers
for the Compaq Plus?

Thanks,
Robert