Portege 3500 Boot from USB

Michael Greth [MVP]

I read somewhere that the Portege is not able to boot from an USB device is
this correct?

--

Michael Greth
Microsoft SharePoint und FrontPage MVP

Online Foren mit FAQs, Tipps, Tricks, Links
SharePoint Portal Server : www.mysharepoint.de
SharePoint Team Services : www.mysharepoint.de
Microsoft FrontPage : www.frontpagefaq.de

terri

Hi, Michael,

Found this, but it's not the exact thread I was looking for. It does,
however pretty much reflect what I remembered.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with better info.

Posted by root -
"I believe that some thread here confirms that Toshiba's USB floppy IS
bootable, right?

Toshiba's spec sheets say that a DVD/CD-RW(NW930U) is available as an
accessory. The NW930U is on sale from the mfg Toshiba specifies(Targus) but
NOT from Toshiba itself however. At Targus's site there's a notice that the
DVD/CD-RW is now series 2 and comes with a Cardbus rather than a PC Card16
interface. May I assume that the reason that Toshiba no longer sells it is
because the Cardbus interface does not offer bootability where the previous
PC Card16 did offer bootability?

Somewhere in one of these threads someone said they got both a 16bit cable
plus a 32bit cable. May I assume what they meant to say was they got a PC
Card16+cable and a Cardbus+cable along with the DVD/CD-RW? If that is so
then which outlet/mfg offers both interfaces with which DVD[/CD-RW] models?

I also saw some threads that suggested some thought they achieved USB CD
and/or DVD bootability. Is that so or are all such reports unconfirmed or
suspect? If any USB CDs or DVDs do boot then which mfgs and models?

May one assume that any CD or DVD with a PC Card16 interface is bootable?
If not then is there a compatibility list anywhere or maybe folks could
mention boots/doesn't here for various models?

Are the interfaces/cables/connectors between a PC Card16 and/or CardBus and
a portable CD or DVD all standard? Or is each PC Card/Carbus
interface/cable/connector specific/proprietary to a specific drive mfg and
model? If there's a standard interface(what's it called?) and if I can only
get that Targus DVD/CD-RW with Cardbus then can I buy separately a PC Card16
that'll offer bootability and what's it called exactly and available from
where?

Looking at various "portable"(small form factor) CD and DVD drives I see
mention of internal batteries and AC adapters for these. Do the three
Targus models NW24XCD, NWDVD04 & NW930U any/all need/include batteries
and/or AC adapters? Are there any CD or DVD drive models that derive all
power from the host?

What's the best portable CD solution?

What's the best portable DVD solution?

What's the best portable DVD/CD-RW solution?

Is there a portable/small form factor DVD+RW in either USB 2.0, PC Card16
or Cardbus that gets all its power from the host and costs less than $500?

For maintenance purposes what is the situation with DOS drivers(PM, Ghost
etc.); do most all USB 2.0, PC Card16 and Cardbus CD & DVD drives have
available DOS drivers or is this just another column in a feature list that
one must fill on a per device basis?"

--
Terri Stratton
Editor

"Michael Greth [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read somewhere that the Portege is not able to boot from an USB device

is
> this correct?
>
> --
>
> Michael Greth
> Microsoft SharePoint und FrontPage MVP
>
> Online Foren mit FAQs, Tipps, Tricks, Links
> SharePoint Portal Server : www.mysharepoint.de
> SharePoint Team Services : www.mysharepoint.de
> Microsoft FrontPage : www.frontpagefaq.de

D. Sislowski

I was able to get it to boot from a Netac Onlydrive ( bootable jump drive ).
In fact when I went into the bios it recognized it as a removable bootable
device.