portrait screen calibration 180 degrees off (Gateway M280E)

rjolbrich

Hello

I just purchased a used Gateway M280E. After finally findin
the appropriate video driver, I can rotate the screen's orientation
Landscape calibration works fine. Portrait calibration is 180 degree
wrong, EXACTLY as described in this post

http://tinyurl.com/26363f

MVP Josh Einstein suggested two remedies

1) Do the portrait calibration "upside down

What did he mean "upside down"

2) Do a registry edit

What exactly needs to be edited. Please expand on his descriptio
here

http://tinyurl.com/23haxx

If you are still there Josh, please respond
If not, I'd settle for another MVP

Thank

OS: Windows XP Pro Tablet 2005 SP3 200

--
rjolbrich

Robert Aldwinckle

"rjolbrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
>
> I just purchased a used Gateway M280E. After finally finding
> the appropriate video driver, I can rotate the screen's orientation.
> Landscape calibration works fine. Portrait calibration is 180 degrees
> wrong, EXACTLY as described in this post:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/26363ft
>
> MVP Josh Einstein suggested two remedies:
>
> 1) Do the portrait calibration "upside down"
>
> What did he mean "upside down" ?

Rotate your machine instead? <eg>

> 2) Do a registry edit.
>
> What exactly needs to be edited. Please expand on his description
> here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/23haxxw
>
> If you are still there Josh, please respond.
> If not, I'd settle for another MVP.
>
> Thanks
>
> OS: Windows XP Pro Tablet 2005 SP3 2002

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...8powertab.mspx

(Microsoft search for
("primary landscape" OR "secondary landscape") (rotate OR orientation)
)

<quote>
Using the Tablet and Pen settings in Control Panel, you can disable the
primary portrait orientation and use the secondary landscape orientation
instead. The same Tablet and Pen Settings dialog box lets you remap your
hardware buttons to make sense in the new orientation.
</quote>

FWIW I have been wondering about this myself for my HP with W7. There is
something similar for me in its Tablet PC Settings. I just tried it but
it hasn't done anything different yet. We'll see after my next hibernation
or reboot. Typically I have to press my screen rotate button twice every
time it is powered on. (My problem is that when it is docked I have my
speaker cable at the top instead of at the bottom.) I'd also be happy with
the other supposed available option of No Portrait, since that would at
least reduce the number of button pushes I would have to use to flip from
"primary landscape" to "secondary landscape". ; )

Thanks for posting the question!

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

rjolbrich

Hello,

I've posted before regarding my portrait calibration
problems with my 280E. I decided to install from the
original disks and had some success. Here's the procedure
I followed:

1) format disk and install Win Xp Pro (SP2)
2) install three drivers through Windows Update
Video driver 8.261.0.0 5/23/06
Finepoint tablet 4.4.1.0 10/30/06
Button driver 6.0.6000.310 3/5/07

At this point, calibration and button function
(change orientation) both work.

3)install .Net Framework 2.0

No change

4)install XP Pro SP3 through Windows Update and reboot

At this point, if I try a portrait calibration,
I receive an error:

The setting you requested cannot be supported. Open
Display in Control Panel, adjust the settings, and then try
to change orientation again.

This is the same error I received in the purchased state
of the computer which had SP3 installed. I originally focused
on the video driver because the ATI Control Center software
did not work properly either. However, it's obvious that
the SP3 upgrade was and is the source of the problem.

One other note, I did not use the ATI Catalyst Control Center
upgrade that I discussed in previous posts.

Does anyone have any comments ?

Thanks