Power light blinking (amber color)

drw4e

I shut down my Dell Dimension 8300 on Friday when I went away for th
weekend and tried to turn it back on last night only to find out tha
the power light blinks. Nothing turns on, no fan, no hard drive, jus
complete silence. When I unplug the tower, there's a single click.
get the same click when I plug it back in and the light continues t
blink even without pushing the button.

I checked the manual and it said to make sure the processor cable wa
plugged into the motherboard, which it is. Not sure what else to do
Any ideas? The computer's only 1.5 years old, so I'm kind of ticked

Ted Zieglar

I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you had what the power
protection companies call a "power event". In your case, it was a power
surge that burned your power supply and/or motherboard. The 'click' is an
electric spark. I think you should have your computer examined by a
technician. I also think it's time to consider a UPS, or to reconsider the
one you have now.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"drw4e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lt7Gf.63625$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I shut down my Dell Dimension 8300 on Friday when I went away for the
> weekend and tried to turn it back on last night only to find out that
> the power light blinks. Nothing turns on, no fan, no hard drive, just
> complete silence. When I unplug the tower, there's a single click. I
> get the same click when I plug it back in and the light continues to
> blink even without pushing the button.
>
> I checked the manual and it said to make sure the processor cable was
> plugged into the motherboard, which it is. Not sure what else to do.
> Any ideas? The computer's only 1.5 years old, so I'm kind of ticked.

S.Lewis

"Ted Zieglar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dsb68j$d7j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you had what the power
> protection companies call a "power event". In your case, it was a power
> surge that burned your power supply and/or motherboard. The 'click' is an
> electric spark. I think you should have your computer examined by a
> technician. I also think it's time to consider a UPS, or to reconsider the
> one you have now.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."

Ditto to Ted's remarks, if you DO have a UPS/surge, trying plugging the
system directly to the wall just to verify the UPS itself. If it's already
plugged to the wall, you're going to need to get your hands dirty or hire
someone to do it for you and find out specifically what has gacked.

Stew

w_tom

More likely you have a manufacturing defect. Those who are quick to
promote popular myths will blame destructive transients. Those
transient occur typically once every eight years.

Decide whether you will analyze it - or have a professional. Many
first analysis steps are simple. Start with the foundation upon which
the computer is constructed - power supply 'system'. Note, I did not
say just 'power supply'. For this, a ubiquitous tools called a 3.5
digit multimeter is required. A tool so common as to be sold in Home
Depot, Lowes, Sears, and Radio Shack. In your case, the first voltage
measurement starts with the purple wire from power supply to
motherboard. Then the green and gray wire voltages must be recorded.
Purple wire must measure more than 4.87 when power cord is connected -
computer powered on or off. And what that actual number is should be
reported because the value includes other useful information.

The overall summary of what you are looking at - how those wire
voltages change when power switch is pressed, etc - is found in
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004
at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5 Feb 2004
at
http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

Do not waste time and money replacing this and that. First learn
what really is wrong. Remember it's a power supply 'system'. Numbers
that you don't understand should be posted for further insight.
However if you are not going to start with the multimeter, then get a
professional to fix it. Numbers from that meter are important to fix
it right first time.

drw4e wrote:
> I shut down my Dell Dimension 8300 on Friday when I went away for the
> weekend and tried to turn it back on last night only to find out that
> the power light blinks. Nothing turns on, no fan, no hard drive, just
> complete silence. When I unplug the tower, there's a single click. I
> get the same click when I plug it back in and the light continues to
> blink even without pushing the button.
>
> I checked the manual and it said to make sure the processor cable was
> plugged into the motherboard, which it is. Not sure what else to do.
> Any ideas? The computer's only 1.5 years old, so I'm kind of ticked.

Fixer

Aflashing amber light requires a new Power supply problem and or motherboard
its a known problem with Dell so if its under warranty just make the call if
not then look on ebay for parts
"S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1MbGf.211$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ted Zieglar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dsb68j$d7j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you had what the power
>> protection companies call a "power event". In your case, it was a power
>> surge that burned your power supply and/or motherboard. The 'click' is an
>> electric spark. I think you should have your computer examined by a
>> technician. I also think it's time to consider a UPS, or to reconsider
>> the
>> one you have now.
>>
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar
>> "You can do it if you try."
>>

> Ditto to Ted's remarks, if you DO have a UPS/surge, trying plugging the
> system directly to the wall just to verify the UPS itself. If it's already
> plugged to the wall, you're going to need to get your hands dirty or hire
> someone to do it for you and find out specifically what has gacked.
>

> Stew

drw4e

Thanks for the help so far.

Anybody know if Dell uses a standard motherboard connection from the
power supply or is it proprietary?

Pen

"drw4e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:azsGf.79709$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Anybody know if Dell uses a standard motherboard connection from the
> power supply or is it proprietary?

The 8300 is standard ATX.

PC Medic

"drw4e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lt7Gf.63625$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I shut down my Dell Dimension 8300 on Friday when I went away for the
> weekend and tried to turn it back on last night only to find out that
> the power light blinks. Nothing turns on, no fan, no hard drive, just
> complete silence. When I unplug the tower, there's a single click. I
> get the same click when I plug it back in and the light continues to
> blink even without pushing the button.
>
> I checked the manual and it said to make sure the processor cable was
> plugged into the motherboard, which it is. Not sure what else to do.
> Any ideas? The computer's only 1.5 years old, so I'm kind of ticked.

This is the symptom that usually accompanies a failed power supply.
If you have access to another (PS) you could try as they are standard in the
8300, it would confirm this.

drw4e

Just a quick update, the computer is actually an 8400. I tried tw
other power supplies and they did no match up with the mother board.
The connectors on the other power supplies had 20 pins while the Del
connector has 24 pins. I'm guessing it's proprietary to Dell. I'l
check Dell or ebay to see what I can find unless you guys have othe
suggestions

w_tom

Be very careful when wildly replacing things. Some may appear to be
identical - only to create more damage later. Just another reason to
first take those two minutes to collect simple measurement rather than
'hope' a shotgun approach does not cause more damage. Some connectors
with same number of pins may put one voltage on the wrong pin. Color
and pin numbers for standard ATX supplies must match.

That simple measurement procedure would help confirm whether a new
supply is compatible as well as save time. How long did it take to
swap a power supply? Collecting numbers with a multimeter should take
about two minutes.

Pictures of standard connectors that may also help - to avoid more
damage:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

drw4e wrote:
> Just a quick update, the computer is actually an 8400. I tried two
> other power supplies and they did no match up with the mother board.
> The connectors on the other power supplies had 20 pins while the Dell
> connector has 24 pins. I'm guessing it's proprietary to Dell. I'll
> check Dell or ebay to see what I can find unless you guys have other
> suggestions.

Power light is blinking yellow Kim Dell 16 01-26-2006 09:17 AM
8200 won't power up, there are no lights except blinking battery light trustee1466@hotmail.com Dell 1 10-07-2005 12:01 AM
Blinking power light Michael Grey Asus 5 03-03-2005 06:31 AM
A7V880: Blinking power light Bach|DK| Asus 10 08-19-2004 05:18 PM
Power Light blinking but can wake up? Bosco Tsang Dell 0 07-04-2003 01:22 PM