Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

power on password is on

 
 
ted
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008, 06:56 PM
i have a compaq 6027us and the
power on password is on and
has locked me out how do i
unlock the pc. i need the hp
secret password to reset it.


thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd try that
first. The location of the jumper (it's usually close to the round CMOS
battery on the motherboard) and how to use it (some boards you just remove
it for 30 seconds or so and replace. On others it's moved from one pin to
another) shouild be in the docs that came with the PC. If not, give HP a
call for directions.
Clearing CMOS removes any power on passwords.

HH

"ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have a compaq 6027us and the
> power on password is on and
> has locked me out how do i
> unlock the pc. i need the hp
> secret password to reset it.
>
>
> thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
William Sommerwerck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008, 07:34 PM
"HH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:-92dnQLhuKHZbQnanZ2dnUVZ_uevnZ2d@metrocastcablevisi on.com...

> Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
> try that first. Clearing CMOS removes any power-on passwords.


It's also likely to reset the CMOS settings to their defaults. Be sure you
have a list of the currnent settings before clearing them.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Freddie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
On Jan 21, 1:56*pm, ted <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> i have a compaq 6027us and the
> power on password is on and
> has locked me out how do i
> unlock the pc. i need the hp
> secret password to reset it.
>
> thanks


The jumper name is CPWD i believe and you remove it, by default it's
shorted so you want it open.

-Fred
 
Reply With Quote
 
CBFalconer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
ted wrote:
>
> i have a compaq 6027us and the power on password is on and
> has locked me out how do i unlock the pc. i need the hp
> secret password to reset it.


If this is a laptop, you can't change it without the co-operation
of the manufacturer, which will also involve convincing them that
you own it.

--
[mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
Try the download section.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
kony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2008, 11:13 PM
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"HH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:-92dnQLhuKHZbQnanZ2dnUVZ_uevnZ2d@metrocastcablevisi on.com...
>
>> Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
>> try that first. Clearing CMOS removes any power-on passwords.

>
>It's also likely to reset the CMOS settings to their defaults. Be sure you
>have a list of the currnent settings before clearing them.
>


It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
prevents use?

Generally OEMs have rather spartan bios options, and while
this is often seen as a negative thing it also means the
system had to be able to run correctly without some of the
more advanced settings changes available. IOW generally
there's just basic things like disabling onboard features
and boot items.
 
Reply With Quote
 
William Sommerwerck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
"kony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"


> It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
> prevents use?


True. It depends on whether you can access the BIOS settings without having
to use the password.

Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down somewhere.
I have such a listing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2008, 03:34 AM
go to

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=46302&lang=en


"HH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:-92dnQLhuKHZbQnanZ2dnUVZ_uevnZ2d@metrocastcablevisi on.com...
> Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd try that
> first. The location of the jumper (it's usually close to the round CMOS
> battery on the motherboard) and how to use it (some boards you just
> remove it for 30 seconds or so and replace. On others it's moved from
> one pin to another) shouild be in the docs that came with the PC. If
> not, give HP a call for directions.
> Clearing CMOS removes any power on passwords.
>
> HH
>
> "ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>i have a compaq 6027us and the
>> power on password is on and
>> has locked me out how do i
>> unlock the pc. i need the hp
>> secret password to reset it.
>>
>>
>> thanks

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
stratus46@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2008, 04:32 AM
On Jan 21, 4:11*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "kony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
> > It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
> > prevents use?

>
> True. It depends on whether you can access the BIOS settings

without having
> to use the password.
>
> Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down

somewhere.
> I have such a listing.


With tthe older PCs and parallel port printers, you could do a
'printscreen' of the bios settings. Is that a possibility with USB
printers?

GG
 
Reply With Quote
 
kony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2008, 05:24 AM
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:32:16 -0800 (PST),
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:


> > Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down

>somewhere.
> > I have such a listing.

>
>With tthe older PCs and parallel port printers, you could do a
>'printscreen' of the bios settings. Is that a possibility with USB
>printers?



No.

I don't know that I'd consider writing down all the bios
settings all that important, unless the particular board had
some quirk in which a non-obvious setting needed to be
changed from the defaults for proper operation, and/or if
the system were overclocked then noting the o'c settings.

On the other hand if you build one system, use it for a fair
amount of time and depend on it, noting all settings changed
from defaults is conservatively a good idea. I wouldn't
bother writing down settings that aren't changed from the
defaults, there seems no point in doing that since they're
always right unless you'd changed them, and can be made
right again by clearing CMOS.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compaq EVO N600C Password-protected CMOS - Lost password - Help - d'oh Al Dykes Laptops 2 09-25-2005 09:33 PM
Supervisor Password vs BIOS Password Vince Dell 5 07-30-2005 01:30 AM
;Re: hp omnibook password - dissassmble bios to determine relationship between hash and password patient.. very patient HP 3 01-03-2005 03:21 AM
hp omnibook password - dissassmble bios to determine relationship between hash and password patient.. very patient HP 1 12-30-2004 09:29 PM
evo d510 power on password Speez Compaq 0 11-25-2003 03:27 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment