Power supplies

Pete

Hi,
what should I be looking for in power supply that's going into an
overclocked system?
Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?
TIA

Dashi

KingWin KWI450 Black with four fans.

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wU0Sb.8631$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> what should I be looking for in power supply that's going into an
> overclocked system?
> Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?
> TIA
>
> --

Lee

i wouldn't really go below 350w psu mate if you intend to overclock infact
400w would be ideal but whatever your budget is.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:31:08 GMT, "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>:>Hi,
>:>what should I be looking for in power supply that's going into an
>:>overclocked system?
>:>Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?
>:>TIA

-----
Lee.

larrymoencurly

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<wU0Sb.8631$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> what should I be looking for in power supply that's
> going into an overclocked system?

Enough amps for each voltage, and http://takaman.jp can help you
estimate those needs. The +12V rail may need to put out a lot of amps
if the CPU is powered by it (i.e., mobo has an extra power 4-pin power
connector) and you have lots of drives or an AGP card that has its own
power connector. But don't trust manufacturer's ratings because some
aren't nearly as accurate as others.

> Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?

Fortron is about the best but also among the cheapest, like $21 for a
350W right now at www.newegg.com, and that includes delivery. They're
sold under many other brands as well, including Sparkle, Powerman,
PowerQ, Powertech (not PowerTek -- be sure the model no. starts with
FSP or ATX), Trend, and Aopen. That 350W from NewEgg is a Hi-Q, and I
believe the only difference is that its fan has sleeve instead of ball
bearings. Some experts recommend getting either a 350W Fortron if the
CPU is below 3.0 GHz and there aren't too many disk drives, or going
right up to 530W or 550W for anything that needs more power because
it's less than $70. BTW Fortron has two different 550W PSUs, one for
ATX (20-pin and 4-pin power connectors for the mobo), another for
NPS12V (24-pin and 8-pin power connectors).