Power Supply speed?

coltrane

I just installed an Antec 300W Power supply. The motherboard displayed
a hardware problem due to the reported fan speed. The bios indicated
that the speed was 998rpm. Is this a problem? I don't know what speed a
power supply should be. My motherboard is an Asus P4PE.

I'd appreciate any feedback

thanks

john

daytripper

On 3 Jun 2005 10:15:18 -0700, "coltrane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just installed an Antec 300W Power supply. The motherboard displayed
>a hardware problem due to the reported fan speed. The bios indicated
>that the speed was 998rpm. Is this a problem? I don't know what speed a
>power supply should be. My motherboard is an Asus P4PE.
>
>I'd appreciate any feedback
>
>thanks
>
>john

Which fan was it complaining about - the one in the new power supply?

Is it possible the bios expects a 4-pulse per revolution fan while your supply
has a 2-pulse or even single-pulse per revolution?

coltrane

Damn good question! I wish I knew what that meant. I'll check the
documentation for the fan and the MB and see if I can find out. Silly
me, I thought all I had to worry about was the wattage

thanks

john

daytripper

On 3 Jun 2005 11:43:42 -0700, "coltrane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Damn good question! I wish I knew what that meant. I'll check the
>documentation for the fan and the MB and see if I can find out. Silly
>me, I thought all I had to worry about was the wattage
>
>thanks
>
>john

Even better possibility: if your new power supply has its own, internal,
"smart" fan controller, it will slow the fan if it doesn't need it to run at
high speed.

In this case, you may have to configure the system bios and/or any thermal
monitoring applications to either use a lower rpm "alert" point (to cover
rotor lock if nothing else) or otherwise simply ignore the ps fan speed
completely...

/daytripper

Franc Zabkar

On 3 Jun 2005 10:15:18 -0700, "coltrane" <(E-Mail Removed)> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>I just installed an Antec 300W Power supply. The motherboard displayed
>a hardware problem due to the reported fan speed. The bios indicated
>that the speed was 998rpm. Is this a problem? I don't know what speed a
>power supply should be. My motherboard is an Asus P4PE.

Does your PSU have two fans? If so, then the speed of the second fan
is temperature controlled. Antec's documentation mentions the
"problem" you are having. It's nothing to worry about.

- Franc Zabkar

I use a 45 watt power supply instead of a 75 watt power supply for my laptop Kim Webb Laptops 6 02-22-2007 02:02 PM
Abit BG7 Power Supply Supply Regis Abit 1 10-26-2006 11:56 PM
Old M/B and new Power Supply problems with 12V power connector jagemail@gmail.com Gateway 2 10-10-2005 07:28 PM
Power supply, but no power??? U. Cortez IBM 27 09-01-2005 11:31 PM
Tyan K8SE Questions, 1 second power up, fried Power Supply sspunty@gmail.com Tyan 1 07-16-2005 05:11 AM