PowerBook G3 startup problem

JazzyJake

Hi,
My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
this problem?
Cheers,
JazzyJake.

Mathue

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, JazzyJake
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
> My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
> suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
> it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
> power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
> plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
> virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
> might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
> grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
> here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
> normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
> this problem?
> Cheers,
> JazzyJake.

Which model of G3 powerbook do you have. Resetting the power manager
can revive things on an otherwise seemlingly dead machine.

--
MT - Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

George Williams

JazzyJake wrote:

> I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
> normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-)

Try starting it from the CD or Diskwarrior, then let us know.

Jason

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (JazzyJake) wrote:

> Hi,
> My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
> suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
> it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
> power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
> plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
> virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
> might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
> grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
> here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
> normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
> this problem?
> Cheers,
> JazzyJake.

You have probably guessed right--it is probably a dead hard drive. I have
a feeling that in the future that you will have a backup system. Believe
it or not, I have two separate external hard drives in the storage shed
that I use as my backup system. I have had to use them at least two times
as a result of problems that developed with the internal hard drive. Sarah
does NOT have any backup system related to her laptop. You should also try
running it while it is connected to an outlet since it's possible there is
something wrong related to the battery or the connections related to the
battery.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIPERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Johan W. Elzenga

George Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> JazzyJake wrote:
> >
> > I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
> > normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-)

> Try starting it from the CD or Diskwarrior, then let us know.

How do you start a dead powerbook from a CD?.. Dead means it doesn't do
anything, so it won't start from a different disk either. Resetting the
Power Manager is your best bet.

--
Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

DaveC

> My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
> suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
> it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
> power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
> plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
> virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
> might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
> grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
> here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
> normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
> this problem?

Try holding down the power button (depending on which model PB G3 it is, it's
probably located just above the keyboard.) Hold it down for 60 seconds, then
let go. Then press it and see if it will boot. If not, turn it off, press the
power button, and immediately hold down the P,R, Option, and Command keys
(you can do it with 1 hand, if you're talented...).

Good luck,
--
DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)

Paul Sture

DaveC wrote:
>>My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
>>suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
>>it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
>>power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
>>plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
>>virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
>>might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
>>grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
>>here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
>>normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
>>this problem?

> Try holding down the power button (depending on which model PB G3 it is, it's
> probably located just above the keyboard.) Hold it down for 60 seconds, then
> let go. Then press it and see if it will boot. If not, turn it off, press the
> power button, and immediately hold down the P,R, Option, and Command keys

That rescued my iBook when it unexpectedly died last year.

> (you can do it with 1 hand, if you're talented...).

I'm obviously not so talented :-)

JazzyJake

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot to all of you for all your help and good advise. I tried
resetting PMU and got the "how to do it" of the Apple site just as
suggested. And it worked!! I'm very gratefull that you guys took the
time to help a mac newbie out with this problem. You've made my day!!
Cheers,
JazzyJake.