Precision T7400 - no POST

Justin

Hi folks. I have a client's T7400 with a neat little beep code.
There is no POST. So far I tried removing all the RAM, PCI cards, and
disconnecting all drives with the same result.
I thinking bad PSU or board.
Here is a 100% spyware and adware free link (Chris) to a video of what
the machine is doing.

http://tinypic.com/r/2hg8xow/7

Pen

On 2/9/2011 6:42 PM, Justin wrote:
> Hi folks. I have a client's T7400 with a neat little beep code.
> There is no POST. So far I tried removing all the RAM, PCI cards, and
> disconnecting all drives with the same result.
> I thinking bad PSU or board.
> Here is a 100% spyware and adware free link (Chris) to a video of what
> the machine is doing.
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/2hg8xow/7

What's the beep code? What do the diagnostic lights on the
rear indicate. Have you read the Dell docs about these things?

Christopher Muto

On 2/9/2011 6:42 PM, Justin wrote:
> I thinking bad PSU or board.

i'm thinking a bad technician

Justin

In article <iivgck$ckl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2/9/2011 6:42 PM, Justin wrote:
> > Hi folks. I have a client's T7400 with a neat little beep code.
> > There is no POST. So far I tried removing all the RAM, PCI cards, and
> > disconnecting all drives with the same result.
> > I thinking bad PSU or board.
> > Here is a 100% spyware and adware free link (Chris) to a video of what
> > the machine is doing.
> >
> > http://tinypic.com/r/2hg8xow/7

> What's the beep code? What do the diagnostic lights on the
> rear indicate. Have you read the Dell docs about these things?

Wasn't the sound picked up on the video?
If I interpret the sick beeps correctly,
long, long, short, long, *pause,* long, long??

I can see the dell docs, but I'm having trouble interpreting this beep
code.
Does it start with 3 or two?
There are no diagnostic lights on the back.

Pen

On 2/9/2011 11:37 PM, Justin wrote:
> In article <iivgck$ckl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2011 6:42 PM, Justin wrote:
>>> Hi folks. I have a client's T7400 with a neat little beep code.
>>> There is no POST. So far I tried removing all the RAM, PCI cards, and
>>> disconnecting all drives with the same result.
>>> I thinking bad PSU or board.
>>> Here is a 100% spyware and adware free link (Chris) to a video of what
>>> the machine is doing.
>>>
>>> http://tinypic.com/r/2hg8xow/7

>> What's the beep code? What do the diagnostic lights on the
>> rear indicate. Have you read the Dell docs about these things?

> Wasn't the sound picked up on the video?
> If I interpret the sick beeps correctly,
> long, long, short, long, *pause,* long, long??
>
> I can see the dell docs, but I'm having trouble interpreting this beep
> code.
> Does it start with 3 or two?
> There are no diagnostic lights on the back.

Try each of the ram cards one at a time.

Brian K

Do you see any video output on the monitor?

Justin

In article <ij04bk$b55$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2/9/2011 11:37 PM, Justin wrote:
> > In article <iivgck$ckl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> What's the beep code? What do the diagnostic lights on the
> >> rear indicate. Have you read the Dell docs about these things?

> > Wasn't the sound picked up on the video?
> > If I interpret the sick beeps correctly,
> > long, long, short, long, *pause,* long, long??
> >
> > I can see the dell docs, but I'm having trouble interpreting this beep
> > code.
> > Does it start with 3 or two?
> > There are no diagnostic lights on the back.

> Try each of the ram cards one at a time.

I figured it out. It was a bad memory slot. It works when I leave this
particular slow open. I tried every single stick with the same result.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/12b0ec119018346

http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac51c9119018347

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d477b7119018351

Christopher Muto

On 2/10/2011 9:03 PM, Justin wrote:
> In article<ij04bk$b55$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Pen<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2011 11:37 PM, Justin wrote:

>>> Wasn't the sound picked up on the video?
>>> If I interpret the sick beeps correctly,
>>> long, long, short, long, *pause,* long, long??
>>>
>>> I can see the dell docs, but I'm having trouble interpreting this beep
>>> code.
>>> Does it start with 3 or two?
>>> There are no diagnostic lights on the back.

>> Try each of the ram cards one at a time.

> I figured it out. It was a bad memory slot. It works when I leave this
> particular slow open. I tried every single stick with the same result.
>
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/12b0ec119018346
>
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac51c9119018347
>
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/d477b7119018351

you haven't figured it out. you apparently did not notice that despite
it listing seven 512mb memory modules in the system (a total of 3.5gb)
the system states 'installed memory' as only 2gb.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac51c9119018347

Justin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2/10/2011 9:03 PM, Justin wrote:
> > In article<ij04bk$b55$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > Pen<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Try each of the ram cards one at a time.

> > I figured it out. It was a bad memory slot. It works when I leave this
> > particular slow open. I tried every single stick with the same result.
> >
> > http://www.imagebam.com/image/12b0ec119018346
> >
> > http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac51c9119018347
> >
> > http://www.imagebam.com/image/d477b7119018351

> you haven't figured it out. you apparently did not notice that despite
> it listing seven 512mb memory modules in the system (a total of 3.5gb)
> the system states 'installed memory' as only 2gb.
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac51c9119018347

The point is moot - the USB ports have failed.
Time for a new system and sure as hell won't be a Dell.
Nice to see Dell's planned obsolescence plan is working.

Christopher Muto

On 2/11/2011 11:55 PM, Justin wrote:
> In article<EOadnfVSZpy0UcjQnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@speakeasy .net>,
> Christopher Muto<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2/10/2011 9:03 PM, Justin wrote:

>>> I figured it out. It was a bad memory slot. It works when I leave this
>>> particular slow open. I tried every single stick with the same result.
>>>
>>> http://www.imagebam.com/image/12b0ec119018346
>>>
>>> http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac51c9119018347
>>>
>>> http://www.imagebam.com/image/d477b7119018351

>> you haven't figured it out. you apparently did not notice that despite
>> it listing seven 512mb memory modules in the system (a total of 3.5gb)
>> the system states 'installed memory' as only 2gb.
>> http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac51c9119018347

> The point is moot - the USB ports have failed.
> Time for a new system and sure as hell won't be a Dell.
> Nice to see Dell's planned obsolescence plan is working.

the point is that you missed all the clues presented to you, from beep
codes, diagnostic lights, symptoms, to the message presented on the
screen when you declared that you figured it out. you have not.