Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Presario 6430NX won't boot up

 
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2006, 05:20 PM
The office has a Presario 6430NX that refuses to boot up first thing in the
morning. A reboot during the day is normal. Compaq Technical Support says
the motherboard is about to fail.

When I hit the power button the CD drive lights flash, the fans start up and
that's it. The power LED stays solid green, but there is no indication of
activity on the drive indicator LED. No Windows welcome chime, no output to
the monitor, no beep codes, nothing.

In addition, both optical drive trays will not eject using the eject button
or in Windows Explorer by right clicking the drive and choosing Eject. I
just managed to do a format and reinstall from the Compaq System Recovery
disks I burned when I first got the machine and the problems persist. No
boot up and no CD drive tray ejection.

Any ideas?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Back up all critical data, then why not just leave it on 24/7?

HH

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The office has a Presario 6430NX that refuses to boot up first thing in
> the
> morning. A reboot during the day is normal. Compaq Technical Support
> says
> the motherboard is about to fail.
>
> When I hit the power button the CD drive lights flash, the fans start up
> and
> that's it. The power LED stays solid green, but there is no indication of
> activity on the drive indicator LED. No Windows welcome chime, no output
> to
> the monitor, no beep codes, nothing.
>
> In addition, both optical drive trays will not eject using the eject
> button
> or in Windows Explorer by right clicking the drive and choosing Eject. I
> just managed to do a format and reinstall from the Compaq System Recovery
> disks I burned when I first got the machine and the problems persist. No
> boot up and no CD drive tray ejection.
>
> Any ideas?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2006, 09:19 PM

"HH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4537bf25$0$599$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Back up all critical data, then why not just leave it on 24/7?


While that certainly would preclude any issues with bootup first thing in
the morning, I was hoping for a more specific answer as to why it may be
exhibiting the anomalous behavior beyond what Compaq Technical Support has
already told me. I've run PC Doctor DOS at their request and it found
nothing wrong with the hardware.

If you have any ideas as to why it would not boot up after being shutdown
overnight and why the optical drive trays refuse to eject, I would like to
see them.

>
> HH
>
> "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The office has a Presario 6430NX that refuses to boot up first thing in
>> the
>> morning. A reboot during the day is normal. Compaq Technical Support
>> says
>> the motherboard is about to fail.
>>
>> When I hit the power button the CD drive lights flash, the fans start up
>> and
>> that's it. The power LED stays solid green, but there is no indication
>> of
>> activity on the drive indicator LED. No Windows welcome chime, no output
>> to
>> the monitor, no beep codes, nothing.
>>
>> In addition, both optical drive trays will not eject using the eject
>> button
>> or in Windows Explorer by right clicking the drive and choosing Eject. I
>> just managed to do a format and reinstall from the Compaq System Recovery
>> disks I burned when I first got the machine and the problems persist. No
>> boot up and no CD drive tray ejection.
>>
>> Any ideas?




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Presario 6430NX wont boot into XP Setup EdLives Compaq 3 12-30-2006 07:32 PM
Dead Presario 17XL265 Use HD in other Presario 17** ? Help! Rich Compaq 0 05-26-2005 04:42 AM
QUES: What is the difference between a Presario 5000 (5WV250) and a Presario 5000 (5002ca)? Homer Compaq 1 08-23-2004 09:26 AM
Compaq Presario 5446 into Presario 5440 Case Grocus Compaq 0 09-04-2003 01:41 PM
Presario 1250 monitor in Presario 1200? Jaban Compaq 0 07-04-2003 11:10 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment