Price Shopping...Or Not

tbabes

Now that you've done all the research and know what you want to
purchase, it's time to pull the trigger. What do you do, is it all
about price, or are there other factors. When are you willing to pay
more to purchase at a local store, including that dreaded sales tax.

My preferred online shopping sites are in order:
1) shopper.com
2) pricegrabber.com (I really like that they calculate the shipping
and sales tax in the price calculation, really nice feature)
3) yahoo shopping
4) pricewatch.com (rarely use)

There are quite a few NY based merchants on these search engines that
are price competitive, and many times have these very high shipping
charges, and even with these shipping charges these guys are sometimes
price competitive. Though I don't have any first hand information I
always get a shady feeling from these guys, and would tend to steer
away, plus the fact that I'm in NYC I would pay sales tax so I avoid
completely. I guess what I am saying is that in my book, not all
online shopping sites are created equal.

If I'm interested in picking up at a local store I'll compare online
prices (and judge the total cost differece) vs. local stores
bestbuy.com, circuitcity.com and compusa.com as well as really nice
NYC merchants jandr.com, datavis.com and bhphotovideo.

As for me, all else being equal and especially for a big ticket item,
I still prefer to see and touch it before buying. It would be tough
for me for example to puchase a notebook computer sight unseen. How
does the screen look, how does the keyboard feel, are the palm rests
warm to the touch..., these are all important factors in my purchase
decision. And while you can find much of this information in these
online forums, I prefer to use this type information more as a
guideline than as a final determinate.

Now if I judge the local vs. online price difference to be great
enough, I'm not against going and seeing locally, and then later
purchasing online.