Printing from OSX to a OS 9 USB Printer

Doug Edwards

I have a iMac running OS 9.2 and 2 Tibooks, one running 10.2.8, the
other running 10.3.4. A USB printer is attached to the iMac. Is it
possible to print from the OS X machines to the USB printer? All the
instructions I can find are for printing from OS 9 machines to OS X UB
printers.

stan@temple.edu

Doug Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a iMac running OS 9.2 and 2 Tibooks, one running 10.2.8, the
> other running 10.3.4. A USB printer is attached to the iMac. Is it
> possible to print from the OS X machines to the USB printer? All the
> instructions I can find are for printing from OS 9 machines to OS X UB
> printers.

Sure. On the computer where the printer is connected, just go into the preferences and open
up the sharing folder, then make sure that the box next to the printer sharing item is
checked off. You also need to have the drivers for that printer installed on the computer
that hosts the printer as well as those that use it remotely.

Martin Sammtleben

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Doug Edwards) wrote:

> I have a iMac running OS 9.2 and 2 Tibooks, one running 10.2.8, the
> other running 10.3.4. A USB printer is attached to the iMac. Is it
> possible to print from the OS X machines to the USB printer? All the
> instructions I can find are for printing from OS 9 machines to OS X UB
> printers.

No. USB printer sharing in this kind of environment requires the printer
to be connected to an OSX Mac and be set up as a shared printer. It's
not possible the other way round (I've been through this myself).

However one very remote possibility that I never tried is to create an
alias of the OS9 spool folder on the OSX Mac and replace the "real"
spool folder (under OSX) with the alias ensuring that the names match
exactly.

In older versions of Mac OS I was able to spool across the network using
this workaround and have the remote Mac take care of the printing.

The print monitor software that runs in the background would check at
regular intervals if there were any print jobs in the spool folder and
process them.

No guarantees though.

--
Cheers Martin