Printing wide reports within OS X

Gary

I have a few tax reports generated from Quicken that I’d like to be
able to print. The difficulty is that the reports are fairly wide (one
is 101 cols, the other is 114 cols) and wouldn’t make much sense if the
lines broke. *So I want to be able to decrease the font size until the
report fit within the appropriate margins. *

Do you know of anything within OS X that can help me do this efficiently?

J.J. O'Shea

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:43:16 -0400, Gary wrote
(in article <4f842ae4$0$23347$(E-Mail Removed) om>):

> I have a few tax reports generated from Quicken that I’d like to be
> able to print. The difficulty is that the reports are fairly wide (one
> is 101 cols, the other is 114 cols) and wouldn’t make much sense if the
> lines broke. *So I want to be able to decrease the font size until the
> report fit within the appropriate margins. *
>
> Do you know of anything within OS X that can help me do this efficiently?

Export 'em to Excel. Alternatively, print to PDF and adjust the size in
Acrobat or Reader.

dorayme

Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a few tax reports generated from Quicken that I’d like to be
> able to print. The difficulty is that the reports are fairly wide (one
> is 101 cols, the other is 114 cols) and wouldn’t make much sense if the
> lines broke. *So I want to be able to decrease the font size until the
> report fit within the appropriate margins. *
>
> Do you know of anything within OS X that can help me do this efficiently?

Have you tried printing landscape? If printing on more than one sheet
and sticking or reading them side by side will not do, you can often
print with a scale to fit page setting in your printer software
dialogs.

If all else fails, there is the simple enough way of screenshoting the
wide reports (if they fit on your screen) and reducing the size of the
resulting pic (any img software will do this easily) and printing
this.

--
dorayme

JF Mezei

Gary wrote:

> is 101 cols, the other is 114 cols) and wouldnt make much sense if the
> lines broke.

Open every possible option in the print dialog box from the application
and look for "scale" or "shrink to fit" options. This would get the
application to generate the report properly.

For a landscape letter, assuming you have 10.5" of printable space,
fitting 105 characters requires you use 10 caracters per inch. This was
standard printing pitch on dot matrix and other type of impact printers.

10cpi translates to 10 characters per 72 points, which would mean 7.2
points per character. (width).

If your application allows you to select the font and font size for the
output, then try an 8 point font or if that is still too big, 7 points.

Failing this, select legal paper in ladscape mode, and then save the
output to PDF from the application. And ether the Adobe PDF reader of
the Preview applications print the .pdf on landscape letter, and select
the "shrink to fit" or appropriate scaling factor to fit within the
landscape letter format.