Problem adding HDD to IDE1 after setting up RAID 1 on IED3 & 4

bacoms

I built my PC a few years ago around the Soyo K7V Dragon Plus mobo.
Since almost day one I've had a couple of 80GB Maxtors on IDE3 & 4
configured for RAID 1. IDE1 was empty and my CD writer was/is connected
to IDE2.

Just recently I took a working 120GB Maxtor HDD plus cable off my other
PC and installed it in IDE1 on this PC. On rebooting to the BIOS and
looking to see what has been detected, there is no sign of the drive in
IDE1; only the CD writer in IDE2.

The OS still boots just fine off RAID but I can't access the HDD in
IDE1.

I've trawled this and other forums and emailed Soyo on Monday (no reply
as yet) and can find nothing to suggest that what I'm trying to do is
not possible. (Quite the opposite, in fact)

Any thoughts/pointers would be much appreciated.

Rick Hallman

Is the HD jumperd properly for the installation? (Master/Slave/Single/Cable
Select) Is IDE 1 configured properly in the BIOS? Are the Power and Ribbon
Cables (sometimes reversible) connected properly and seated fully. Have you
checked for power on the 4 pin connector you are using? That's about all I
know that can go wrong with a "good drive". BTWWhat file system is on the
added drive? Fat16, Fat32 or NTFS What OS are you booting to?)

"bacoms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I built my PC a few years ago around the Soyo K7V Dragon Plus mobo.
> Since almost day one I've had a couple of 80GB Maxtors on IDE3 & 4
> configured for RAID 1. IDE1 was empty and my CD writer was/is connected
> to IDE2.
>
> Just recently I took a working 120GB Maxtor HDD plus cable off my other
> PC and installed it in IDE1 on this PC. On rebooting to the BIOS and
> looking to see what has been detected, there is no sign of the drive in
> IDE1; only the CD writer in IDE2.
>
> The OS still boots just fine off RAID but I can't access the HDD in
> IDE1.
>
> I've trawled this and other forums and emailed Soyo on Monday (no reply
> as yet) and can find nothing to suggest that what I'm trying to do is
> not possible. (Quite the opposite, in fact)
>
> Any thoughts/pointers would be much appreciated.

bacoms

Sorry to take so long to get back but I've been on a weeks vacation.

Your last point regarding the power connector prompted me to try again
using a diferent connector and hey presto it's now working fine.

It just proves that you can't assume anything when fault finding. Check
everything.

Many thanks for your help.

3rd drive on IDE1 RJAG Epox 2 12-01-2005 04:14 PM
8KRAI Problem: Won't boot from primary IDE1 on fresh install of XP Pavlov Epox 4 09-28-2004 01:47 PM
GA-7N400 Pro2 MB and 160GB Hard Drives-Full Capacity on Any of IDE1, 2m 3 or 4? Hammer Toe Gigabyte 4 01-10-2004 06:59 PM
Best Swap File Location: SATA RIAD or IDE1? Just A Geek Abit 1 11-22-2003 08:11 AM
BX Master, IDE1 and No IRQ15? Doc MSI 0 10-04-2003 10:59 PM