problem backing up acer computer with acronis on usb hd

sobriquet

Hi.
With an acer computer, I've tried to make a backup with acronis true
image home (version 11) of the 320 sata drive (containing 3
partitions) which has vista (home premium) installed.
I have tried this various times with 2 different usb2 drives (one with
a generic usb2 encasing for an ata drive and one with a wd mybook usb2
drive). It gets stuck at some point every time where the lights of the
hd (both on the computer and on the usb drive) stop blinking.
Does anyone know what might cause this or how to circumvent this
problem?

I've tried plugging the usb cable in the back instead of the front,
disconnected the network cable during the making of the backup, but
this didn't make any difference.

The computer is an acer aspire m3610-ne7u.

Thx in advance for any suggestions or comments, kind regards, Niek

Han

sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:e9becc55-eb43-44cf-a5fe-
(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi.
> With an acer computer, I've tried to make a backup with acronis true
> image home (version 11) of the 320 sata drive (containing 3
> partitions) which has vista (home premium) installed.
> I have tried this various times with 2 different usb2 drives (one with
> a generic usb2 encasing for an ata drive and one with a wd mybook usb2
> drive). It gets stuck at some point every time where the lights of the
> hd (both on the computer and on the usb drive) stop blinking.
> Does anyone know what might cause this or how to circumvent this
> problem?
>
> I've tried plugging the usb cable in the back instead of the front,
> disconnected the network cable during the making of the backup, but
> this didn't make any difference.
>
> The computer is an acer aspire m3610-ne7u.
>
> Thx in advance for any suggestions or comments, kind regards, Niek

If your computer is like my laptop, it has 3 partitions as follows:
a "PCQuest" hidden backup partition
a "C:\" drive "for programs"
a "D:\" drive "for data"

Acronis likes to make itself a hidden partition (at least some of the
earlier versions did, I don't about v 11), and that would royally screw
up the computer's original backup partition. DAMHIKT!!

I would suspect some incompatibility between the Acer's PCQuest-derived
backup system and Acronis, but I am not sure.

Is your USB fast enough to let Acronis work? Is there enough free memory
and contiguous free hard drive space?

--
Best regards
Han

sobriquet

On 10 mei, 19:39, Han <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:e9becc55-eb43-44cf-a5fe-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>

> > Hi.
> > With an acer computer, I've tried to make a backup with acronis true
> > image home (version 11) of the 320 sata drive (containing 3
> > partitions) which has vista (home premium) installed.
> > I have tried this various times with 2 different usb2 drives (one with
> > a generic usb2 encasing for an ata drive and one with a wd mybook usb2
> > drive). It gets stuck at some point every time where the lights of the
> > hd (both on the computer and on the usb drive) stop blinking.
> > Does anyone know what might cause this or how to circumvent this
> > problem?

> > I've tried plugging the usb cable in the back instead of the front,
> > disconnected the network cable during the making of the backup, but
> > this didn't make any difference.

> > The computer is an acer aspire m3610-ne7u.

> > Thx in advance for any suggestions or comments, kind regards, Niek

> If your computer is like my laptop, it has 3 partitions as follows: *
> a "PCQuest" hidden backup partition
> a "C:\" drive "for programs"
> a "D:\" drive "for data"

It's a desktop pc (minitower), but indeed it has the same 3 partitions
like yours.

> Acronis likes to make itself a hidden partition (at least some of the
> earlier versions did, I don't about v 11), and that would royally screw
> up the computer's original backup partition. DAMHIKT!!

I doubt that is the problem, because eventually I decided to put the
external drive inside the computer and acronis made the backup without
any problems on the internal drive.

> I would suspect some incompatibility between the Acer's PCQuest-derived
> backup system and Acronis, but I am not sure.
>
> Is your USB fast enough to let Acronis work? *Is there enough free memory
> and contiguous free hard drive space?

Think so.. I've made similar backups on various other computers and I
never had an issue with making an acronis backup on an external usb
drive (on various hp/compaq desktop pcs and on a dell laptop).

> --
> Best regards
> Han
> email address is invalid- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Han

sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 10 mei, 19:39, Han <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> (E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Hi.
>> > With an acer computer, I've tried to make a backup with acronis
>> > true image home (version 11) of the 320 sata drive (containing 3
>> > partitions) which has vista (home premium) installed.
>> > I have tried this various times with 2 different usb2 drives (one
>> > with a generic usb2 encasing for an ata drive and one with a wd
>> > mybook usb2 drive). It gets stuck at some point every time where
>> > the lights of the hd (both on the computer and on the usb drive)
>> > stop blinking. Does anyone know what might cause this or how to
>> > circumvent this problem?

>> > I've tried plugging the usb cable in the back instead of the front,
>> > disconnected the network cable during the making of the backup, but
>> > this didn't make any difference.

>> > The computer is an acer aspire m3610-ne7u.

>> > Thx in advance for any suggestions or comments, kind regards, Niek

<snip irrelevant>

>> Is your USB fast enough to let Acronis work? *Is there enough free
>> memory and contiguous free hard drive space?

> Think so.. I've made similar backups on various other computers and I
> never had an issue with making an acronis backup on an external usb
> drive (on various hp/compaq desktop pcs and on a dell laptop).

Aangezien er nederlands in jouw antwoord verschijnt, dat beantwoordt mijn
vraag niet, vind ik. Daarom nogmaals:

Is the USB port on that problem computer fast enough? That the same
approach works on other machines, does not prove that the problem
computer setup is OK. Hence my question <grin>.

--
Best regards
Han

sobriquet

On 10 mei, 23:27, Han <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > On 10 mei, 19:39, Han <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> (E-Mail Removed):

> <snip irrelevant>
>
> >> Is your USB fast enough to let Acronis work? *Is there enough free
> >> memory and contiguous free hard drive space?

> > Think so.. I've made similar backups on various other computers and I
> > never had an issue with making an acronis backup on an external usb
> > drive (on various hp/compaq desktop pcs and on a dell laptop).

> Aangezien er nederlands in jouw antwoord verschijnt, dat beantwoordt mijn
> vraag niet, vind ik. *Daarom nogmaals:

Groups.google.com voegt af en toe wat nederlands toe aan mijn postings
(vanwege m'n taalsettings denk ik). :-)

> Is the USB port on that problem computer fast enough? *That the same
> approach works on other machines, does not prove that the problem
> computer setup is OK. *Hence my question <grin>.

I guess potentially that might be the problem. But how do I ascertain
whether or not the USB port is fast enough? Are USB ports potentially
more likely to be too slow as computers get faster?
The acer computer where I can't make backups on an external USB drive
is faster compared to other (older) computers where I've successfully
made backups with acronis on usb drives.

> >> --
> >> Best regards
> >> Han
> >> email address is invalid- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet
> >> weergeven

> > -

> >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> --
> Best regards
> Han
> email address is invalid- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Han

sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:5f8d65b7-8642-416a-a2d3-
(E-Mail Removed):

> I guess potentially that might be the problem. But how do I ascertain
> whether or not the USB port is fast enough? Are USB ports potentially
> more likely to be too slow as computers get faster?
> The acer computer where I can't make backups on an external USB drive
> is faster compared to other (older) computers where I've successfully
> made backups with acronis on usb drives.

I wish I had the answer to that !! My work machine (an older Dell) has
flawed USB ports on its front, but luckily the back ports are OK, and could
be cnnected to the monitor which then has 2 more ports. Another machine
also has problems, but my new el cheapo Acer laptop is OK. Go figure!

--
Best regards
Han

Wandering

You can make an image store on the same drive you are imaging. Once you have
done that, you can copy it to the USB external drive. I would be concerned
that if there is a problem making the backup, there would also be a problem
recovering from the external drive.

I don't know how many USB ports you have on the back, but if more than two,
it is likely that two of them are on an internal hub, and won't be suitable
for use with Acronis. Make sure the ports are direct. Also, be sure there is
no other USB activity going on during the backup. Probably best to unplug
the other stuff.

Good luck.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...