Problem booting up with ASUS CUSL2 mobo

snafu

I知 trying to build an extra machinewhich I値l most likely be using as
a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3 Coppermine CPU.
I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything up and
when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen, the monitor
stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current setup:

ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
250W power supply
Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
CD-RW drive on primary slave
WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave

All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory default and I
am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on another mobo I
had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will be greatly
appreciated ^_^.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P...pict57754.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

Rick

Are you sure the motherboard is good?

Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.

"snafu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:7_291206_ebc402ded5c6604098d78341a0fd33ae@har dwareforumz.com...
> I'm trying to build an extra machinewhich I'll most likely be using as
> a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3 Coppermine CPU.
> I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything up and
> when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen, the monitor
> stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current setup:
>
> ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
> P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
> 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
> 250W power supply
> Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
> CD-RW drive on primary slave
> WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
> WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
>
> All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory default and I
> am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on another mobo I
> had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will be greatly
> appreciated ^_^.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P...pict57754.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

Paul

In article <7_291206_ebc402ded5c6604098d78341a0fd33ae@hardwar eforumz.com>,
snafu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I知 trying to build an extra machinewhich I値l most likely be using as
> a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3 Coppermine CPU.
> I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything up and
> when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen, the monitor
> stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current setup:
>
> ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
> P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
> 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
> 250W power supply
> Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
> CD-RW drive on primary slave
> WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
> WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
>
> All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory default and I
> am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on another mobo I
> had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will be greatly
> appreciated ^_^.

Is DSW Dip Switch set properly ? In JumperFree mode, all five
switches must be OFF. If in Jumper mode, select switch settings
consistent with your processor (FSB100, DRAM=100 ?). Info is in
the downloadable manual.

Paul

snafu

"Rick" wrote:
> Are you sure the motherboard is good?
>
> Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
> power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
> video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
> and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.
>
> "snafu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7_291206_ebc402ded5c6604098d78341a0fd33ae@har dwareforumz.com...
> > I'm trying to build an extra machinewhich I'll most likely

> be using as
> > a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3

> Coppermine CPU.
> > I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything

> up and
> > when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen,

> the monitor
> > stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current

> setup:
> >
> > ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
> > P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
> > 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
> > 250W power supply
> > Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
> > CD-RW drive on primary slave
> > WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
> > WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
> >
> > All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory

> default and I
> > am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on

> another mobo I
> > had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will

> be greatly
> > appreciated ^_^.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request

> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P...pict57754.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

Unfortunately, with all other devices, cards, processor, RAM, etc,
disconnected I still cannot get to the BIOS screen. And in response to
Paul痴 advice, I have changed the DIP switch settings to match the
frequency settings I used in my old motherboard (where the processor
and RAM used to be installed) and still I have no luck. So does this
mean I got stuck with a dead mobo?

Rick

"snafu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:7_291615_575950ef5e774ab8b60410a7a740ede8@har dwareforumz.com...
> "Rick" wrote:
> > Are you sure the motherboard is good?
> >
> > Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
> > power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
> > video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
> > and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.
> >
> > "snafu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:7_291206_ebc402ded5c6604098d78341a0fd33ae@har dwareforumz.com...
> > > I'm trying to build an extra machinewhich I'll most likely

> > be using as
> > > a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3

> > Coppermine CPU.
> > > I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything

> > up and
> > > when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen,

> > the monitor
> > > stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current

> > setup:
> > >
> > > ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
> > > P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
> > > 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
> > > 250W power supply
> > > Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
> > > CD-RW drive on primary slave
> > > WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
> > > WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
> > >
> > > All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory

> > default and I
> > > am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on

> > another mobo I
> > > had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will

> > be greatly
> > > appreciated ^_^.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet

> > standards
> > > Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P...pict57754.html
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

> Unfortunately, with all other devices, cards, processor, RAM, etc,
> disconnected I still cannot get to the BIOS screen. And in response to
> Paul's advice, I have changed the DIP switch settings to match the
> frequency settings I used in my old motherboard (where the processor
> and RAM used to be installed) and still I have no luck. So does this
> mean I got stuck with a dead mobo?

Sure sounds like it.

Sometimes there can be a grounding problem against the
computer case. Have you tried following my previous
advice?

Paul

In article <7_291615_575950ef5e774ab8b60410a7a740ede8@hardwar eforumz.com>,
snafu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Rick" wrote:
> > Are you sure the motherboard is good?
> >
> > Take it out of the case and put it on a static mat, hook a
> > power supply & keyboard to it, remove all cards (except
> > video card, if the motherboard has no onboard video)
> > and see if you can get as far as the system bios screen.
> >
> > "snafu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:7_291206_ebc402ded5c6604098d78341a0fd33ae@har dwareforumz.com...
> > > I'm trying to build an extra machinewhich I'll most likely

> > be using as
> > > a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3

> > Coppermine CPU.
> > > I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything

> > up and
> > > when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen,

> > the monitor
> > > stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current

> > setup:
> > >
> > > ASUS CUSL2 motherboard
> > > P3 900MHz Coppermine CPU
> > > 512MB PC100 168-pin DIMM RAM chip
> > > 250W power supply
> > > Western Digital 30GB HDD on primary master
> > > CD-RW drive on primary slave
> > > WD 6.4GB HDD on secondary master
> > > WD Caviar 2.2GB HDD on secondary slave
> > >
> > > All the jumper settings on the mobo are left at factory

> > default and I
> > > am certain that the CPU still works since it worked on

> > another mobo I
> > > had. Is there any way I can fix this problem? All help will

> > be greatly
> > > appreciated ^_^.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at

author's request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet

> > standards
> > > Topic URL:

http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P...pict57754.html
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291206

> Unfortunately, with all other devices, cards, processor, RAM, etc,
> disconnected I still cannot get to the BIOS screen. And in response to
> Paul痴 advice, I have changed the DIP switch settings to match the
> frequency settings I used in my old motherboard (where the processor
> and RAM used to be installed) and still I have no luck. So does this
> mean I got stuck with a dead mobo?

Unplug the reset switch cable, in case the reset switch is stuck on.

The following is advanced advice, suitable if you own a voltmeter.
Otherwise, find a good computer shop, and see if they can breathe
life into it. YMMV. Caveat emptor. Etc.

*************************
I cannot see what Vcore regulator chip is used on the board. It
looks like it is 28 pins and up near the processor socket and the
top edge of the board. _If_ that is a HIP6019:

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4587.pdf

it would not take much to make that chip shut down. If the chip
senses overcurrent, it will only make three tries before it
gives up and shuts off. Now, why that would be happening, is a
good question.

In any case, if you own a voltmeter, you could try probing to
see whether any voltage is present on the output. On page 3 of
the Intersil document, you can see Q1 and Q2, Lout1, and Cout1.
In the upper left corner of the picture of the CUSL2 motherboard
in the manual, you can see seven capacitors (that would be Cout1)
and a toroidal inductor (that would be Lout1). I would probe
the leg of the toroidal inductor which is next to the seven
capacitors, as a way of sampling Vcore. See if, in fact, it
reads 1.7V when the board is powered. If it is reading 0 volts,
that means the regulator has shut down. Now, unfortunately, if
you just pull the processor out of the socket, the Vcore regulator
will also shut down, because there will be an "all 1's" code on
the VID signals. To test that Vcore is working properly, without
the processor being present, you would need to try a wire mod
in the S370 socket.

These are the two 900Mhz P3 processors I can find on the Intel site:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...sp?sSpec=SL4SD
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...sp?sSpec=SL5BS

Page 21 of this document shows the Vcore table:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/24526408.pdf

To make 1.7V, the code is 0111 for VID3..VID0. That means only
VID3 needs to be grounded in the S370 socket, to test Vcore
without the processor being present. On page 68, connecting pin
AJ37 (VID3) to AK36 (VSS) will put logic "0" on VID3. Use a bare
piece of wire, such as a strand of wire from an old lamp cord.
Make sure the copper is bright and shiny, to guarantee a connection.
Now, as that picture on page 68 is a view of the bottom of the
processor chip, think carefully about where that corresponds to
in a socket view. (I rotated and flipped the picture in
Photoshop, to reduce the chances of error.)

36 37 AJAK
______________ ______________
/ | | x . . | 37
/ x |AK | x . | 36
| Pin x|AJ | |
| View | | Socket |
\ Pg.68 | \ View /
\______________| \_________/

Now, again try to measure the voltage at the junction of
the toriodal inductor, where it meets the seven capacitors.
You should see 1.7V on the upper leg of the toroid. At
least that tells you Vcore is working, if it wasn't previously,
and could indicate the processor is presenting too much of
a load (i.e. is shorting Vcore or something).

Whether this line of thinking is valid or not, really depends on
what kind of regulator is used for Vcore. The regulators that
try over and over again to run, are less likely to be a problem,
than the ones that "give up" when they see an overload. The
HIP6019 is particularly nasty, because a fault on any output,
causes all outputs to shut off, making debugging where the
problem might be, very difficult. From the HIP6019 datasheet:

"All four outputs are monitored and protected against extreme
overload. A sustained overload on any linear regulator
output or an over-voltage on the PWM outputs disables all
converters and drives the FAULT/RT pin to VCC."

*************************

Paul

High Score

CUSL2's have onboard video. Is this what you are trying to use? If the
previous owner of your board disabled the OB graphics to install a graphics
card, you'll have to reset the BIOS settings by removing the battery for ~
30 seconds - make sure you remove power to the board before you do this.
It should default back to onboard video.

Paul's advice about the stuck reset switch is a good one - I tricked myself
into unnecessarily buying a new MB that way

-G

snafu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:7_291206
(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I知 trying to build an extra machinewhich I値l most likely be using as
> a file server and I wanna make use of my old 900MHz P3 Coppermine CPU.
> I recently got an ASUS CUSL2 mobo and finally set everything up and
> when I turn on the computer nothing happens on the screen, the monitor
> stays blank as if it was in standby mode. Here is my current setup:

CUSL2-C booting problem repair Steve Clayton Asus 0 04-26-2006 02:54 AM
Asus Cusl2-c and a problem with VR winyl Asus 5 04-10-2006 05:32 AM
ASUS CUSL2-C and USB mouse problem when reboot fxzzzzzzzz Asus 7 02-23-2006 08:04 AM
Asus cusl2-c Jens_Susi Asus 0 01-01-2004 02:09 PM
driver for ASUS CUSL2-C INTEL 815EP M/B under win95osr2 Jimbo Asus 0 06-30-2003 01:07 AM