Motherboard Forums

Motherboard Forums (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/)
-   Chaintech (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/chaintech-f5.html)
-   -   Problem with Chaintech 7NJL6 - startsup and then dies (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/problem-chaintech-7njl6-startsup-and-then-dies-t11463.html)

parm 07-03-2005 05:36 AM

Problem with Chaintech 7NJL6 - startsup and then dies

Hi,

I just purchased the Chaintech 7NJL6 for my AMD Duron 1.8 GHz CPU. I
connected everything and started the system. It starts for a few
seconds and then dies. The power LED on the front panel starts to
blink. I disconnected all the components and placed the board on non
conductive base and powered it up, still the same problem. Any
suggestions or comments. HELP!!!!

Thanks.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaint...pict58352.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294961

uddarts 07-03-2005 07:35 PM

Re: Problem with Chaintech 7NJL6 - startsup and then dies

"parm" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased the Chaintech 7NJL6 for my AMD Duron 1.8 GHz
> CPU. I connected everything and started the system. It starts
> for a few seconds and then dies. The power LED on the front
> panel starts to blink. I disconnected all the components and
> placed the board on non conductive base and powered it up,
> still the same problem. Any suggestions or comments. HELP!!!!
>
> Thanks.

check your heatsink and make sure itís not sitting on the lip of the
cpu mount. did you use a thermal pad or thermal grease? is the cpu fan
plugged into the correct fan header and is it a 3 wire fan?

did you clear the cmos/bios jumper?

ud

parm 07-03-2005 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Problem with Chaintech 7NJL6 - startsup and then dies

"uddarts" wrote:
> check your heatsink and make sure it's not sitting on the lip
> of the cpu mount. did you use a thermal pad or thermal grease?
> is the cpu fan plugged into the correct fan header and is it a
> 3 wire fan?
>
> did you clear the cmos/bios jumper?
>
> ud

UD,

I checked the fan, it seems to be sitting fine. The CPU has four
cylindrical (i assume rubber like) raised surfaces on which the fan
sits. It is a two wire fan. I did not get any thermal grease or
anything with the fan. I bought all the parts (HD, CPU, MB, Memory
etc.) from Tiger Direct. I have installed the memory and fan.
Everything else is disconnected. I did clear the CMOS. It starts and
then just dies. Maybe something is tripping it. I donít know. I have
also sent an email to Chaintech. But no reply so far. This was
yesterday.

Thank you so much for your help. Any other thoughts or suggestions. I
am trying to get this up and running for my son. We are both very
exicited about it. But so far no luck.

Parm

uddarts 07-03-2005 07:37 PM

"parm" wrote:
> UD,
>
> I checked the fan, it seems to be sitting fine. The CPU has
> four cylindrical (i assume rubber like) raised surfaces on
> which the fan sits. It is a two wire fan. I did not get any
> thermal grease or anything with the fan. I bought all the
> parts (HD, CPU, MB, Memory etc.) from Tiger Direct. I have
> installed the memory and fan. Everything else is disconnected.
> I did clear the CMOS. It starts and then just dies. Maybe
> something is tripping it. I don't know. I have also sent an
> email to Chaintech. But no reply so far. This was yesterday.
>
> Thank you so much for your help. Any other thoughts or
> suggestions. I am trying to get this up and running for my
> son. We are both very exicited about it. But so far no luck.
>
> Parm

stop where you are! do not move or pass go! you donít want to burn up
your chip.

you need some sort of thermal compound between the cpu and the
heatsink base.

what heatsink do you have. can you give me a link?

some heatsinks come with a little pad on the bottom of them and has a
peel off tape that portects it from dirt during shipping.

if there isnít one you can buy something like these listed at
tigerdirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=503

here is a link for instructions how to apply.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...ions_small.htm

you may be able to find some locally.

your heat sink fan needs 3 wire. the yellow one is an rpm sensor which
the motherboard looks for. it is a safety feature in case the fan
stops.

again what heatsink and fan do you have? since itís not 3 wire makes
me think the combo may be wrong.

ud

parm 07-03-2005 11:35 PM

"uddarts" wrote:
> stop where you are! do not move or pass go! you don't want to
> burn up your chip.
>
> you need some sort of thermal compound between the cpu and the
> heatsink base.
>
> what heatsink do you have. can you give me a link?
>
> some heatsinks come with a little pad on the bottom of them
> and has a peel off tape that portects it from dirt during
> shipping.
>
> if there isn't one you can buy something like these listed at
> tigerdirect.
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=503
>
> here is a link for instructions how to apply.
>
> http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...ions_small.htm
>
> you may be able to find some locally.
>

> your heat sink fan needs 3 wire. the yellow one is an rpm
> sensor which the motherboard looks for. it is a safety feature
> in case the fan stops.
>
> again what heatsink and fan do you have? since it's not 3 wire
> makes me think the combo may be wrong.
>
> ud

UD,

Could the fan cause such a problem. I have posted the link for the fan
that I bought

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2189&CatId=796

Below is the link for the motherboard that I purchased from
tigerdirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3672&CatId=179

At this moment, I am just trying to narrow down the problem as to what
might be wrong. I just want the board to work with bare minimum setup.
Once this is done, then I will do the complete assembly for use. I
will order the new fan and the thermal gel today or will go and buy
one from the local store.

Thank you so much for all the help.

Regards,
Parm

uddarts 07-03-2005 11:35 PM

"parm" wrote:
> UD,
>
> Could the fan cause such a problem. I have posted the link for
> the fan that I bought
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2189&CatId=796
>
> Below is the link for the motherboard that I purchased from
> tigerdirect
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3672&CatId=179
>
> At this moment, I am just trying to narrow down the problem as
> to what might be wrong. I just want the board to work with
> bare minimum setup. Once this is done, then I will do the
> complete assembly for use. I will order the new fan and the
> thermal gel today or will go and buy one from the local store.
>
> Thank you so much for all the help.
>
> Regards,
> Parm

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5064&CatId=792

hereís one thatís in the price range of the one you bought. if you
notice it makes reference to a 3 pin connector.

* Fan Dimension: 66x60x10 mm
* Heatsink Dimension: 66x72.7x42.5 mm
* Rated Voltage: 12V
* Started Voltage: 5V
* Rated Current: 0.38A
* Power Input: 4.20W
* Max. Air Flow: 20.2 CFM
* Noise: 35 dBA
* Bearing Type: 1 Ball Bearing
* Life Expectation: 40,000 Hours
* Connector: 3 Pin
* Total Weight: 285 g
* Thermal Resistance: ca=0.58 C/W

how you managed to find one that only has 2 wires, we just chalk up to
a $5 case of bad luck.

i use a single edge razor blade to spread the thermal compound. you
donít need a lot. more isnít better. just smooth it out and cover the
small die in the middle of the cpu. if you should get a little on the
rest of the cpu, just clean it up with a q-tip and some alcohol.

keep intouch.

ud

ud

parm 07-03-2005 11:36 PM

"uddarts" wrote:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5064&CatId=792
>
> here's one that's in the price range of the one you bought. if
> you notice it makes reference to a 3 pin connector.
>
> * Fan Dimension: 66x60x10 mm
> * Heatsink Dimension: 66x72.7x42.5 mm
> * Rated Voltage: 12V
> * Started Voltage: 5V
> * Rated Current: 0.38A
> * Power Input: 4.20W
> * Max. Air Flow: 20.2 CFM
> * Noise: 35 dBA
> * Bearing Type: 1 Ball Bearing
> * Life Expectation: 40,000 Hours
> * Connector: 3 Pin
> * Total Weight: 285 g
> * Thermal Resistance: ca=0.58 C/W
>
> how you managed to find one that only has 2 wires, we just
> chalk up to a $5 case of bad luck.
>
> i use a single edge razor blade to spread the thermal
> compound. you don't need a lot. more isn't better. just smooth
> it out and cover the small die in the middle of the cpu. if
> you should get a little on the rest of the cpu, just clean it
> up with a q-tip and some alcohol.
>
> keep intouch.
>
> ud
>

> ud

UD,

Thanks so much. I have also found something similar to what you have
recommended at COMPUSA. It is a 3 pin connector and in stock. I can
pick it up locally. Lets hope it works. I have the links below. Any
input on these.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...279&pfp=SEARCH

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...543&pfp=SEARCH

If they donít work, I will definitely order the one from tigerdirect.

I really appreciate all your time in helping me solving this problem.
Once again, thanks.

Parm

uddarts 07-04-2005 08:35 AM

"parm" wrote:
> UD,
>
> Thanks so much. I have also found something similar to what
> you have recommended at COMPUSA. It is a 3 pin connector and
> in stock. I can pick it up locally. Lets hope it works. I have
> the links below. Any input on these.
>
> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...279&pfp=SEARCH
>

> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...543&pfp=SEARCH
>
> If they don't work, I will definitely order the one from
> tigerdirect.
>
> I really appreciate all your time in helping me solving this
> problem. Once again, thanks.
>
> Parm

the second one is much better. copper is always better. i donít think
the first one is really rated for your cpu. it has much better cmf, 42
vs 9. if they donít have it in stock, iím sure they can assist you in
a good choice. they should have the thermal compound and a cooler for
you at compusa to fit your needs.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...543&pfp=SEARCH

parm 07-07-2005 06:36 PM

"uddarts" wrote:
> the second one is much better. copper is always better. i
> don't think the first one is really rated for your cpu. it has
> much better cmf, 42 vs 9. if they don't have it in stock, i'm
> sure they can assist you in a good choice. they should have
> the thermal compound and a cooler for you at compusa to fit
> your needs.
>
> [url]http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50254543&pfp=SEARCH[/url
>
> ud]

UD,

I bought the fan and the heatsink today. It does not have the copper
heat sink but something similar. It has three wire connector. It costs
$14.99, I installed it and connected all the devices as well. But I
get the same problem. Everything starts up but then dies after a few
seconds.

I still have not heard from Chaintech. Tigerdirect want me to talk to
Chaintech first. It could be the board. I know it is not shorting out.
I will test the power supply tomorrow. This is the only thing left. I
will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help.

Parm

parm 07-07-2005 06:36 PM

"uddarts" wrote:
> the second one is much better. copper is always better. i
> don't think the first one is really rated for your cpu. it has
> much better cmf, 42 vs 9. if they don't have it in stock, i'm
> sure they can assist you in a good choice. they should have
> the thermal compound and a cooler for you at compusa to fit
> your needs.
>
> [url]http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50254543&pfp=SEARCH[/url
>
> ud]

UD,

I just got an email from Chaintech. They are saying that the heat sink
and the fan are not centered properly.

They asked me to check if the fan works without the CPU in the MB. I
have three fan/heatsinks and they all work fine without the CPU.
Chaintech said if that is that case then the CPU need to be replaced
or the heat sink is not sitting tightly and properly on the CPU.

Any thoughts.

Parm