Problem with CT-4830

Ytsejam

Hi there

I've just got an used (but working) Soundblaster Live Value CT 4830 and
I'm going crazy.

I put it on my PC (I tried every PCI slot) and my monitor goes down...
the light stays orange (with no signal?).

But without the card, it boots normally... What can I do??

My PC config:
MB Asus P4S8X-MX
CPU Celeron D 2.53 GHz
768 MB RAM

....the sound from the MB is disabled; I had a CT 4810 working with no
problems.

Thanks for the help.

mc

Are you quite sure this isn't a defective soundcard? How recently did it
work?

Or possibly a bad connection to the PCI bus? Pins shorted?

"Ytsejam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there
>
> I've just got an used (but working) Soundblaster Live Value CT 4830 and
> I'm going crazy.
>
> I put it on my PC (I tried every PCI slot) and my monitor goes down...
> the light stays orange (with no signal?).
>
> But without the card, it boots normally... What can I do??
>
> My PC config:
> MB Asus P4S8X-MX
> CPU Celeron D 2.53 GHz
> 768 MB RAM
>
> ...the sound from the MB is disabled; I had a CT 4810 working with no
> problems.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Ytsejam

I saw it working in another computer. And I'm pretty sure the problem
is just with my monitor, because when I boot the computer without the
card, I get the windows message of incomplete boot ("Windows no se
inició correctamente"... my win is in Spanish).

I think it may be a voltage problem??

mc

Let's start at the beginning. Are you saying that when you boot the
computer with the sound card installed, there is no video on the monitor,
and when you boot the computer without the sound card, you get an error
message?

If there is anything wrong with your computer when the sound card is not in
it, the sound card is not the problem. You can remove a sound card from a
Windows computer and boot it up with no problem.

Ytsejam

No no no... the error message is due to an incomplete windows load,
because when I boot with the soundcard and without monitor, I just turn
off my computer...

Then, I remove the CT4830 and put my old 4810 and appears that message
just once, and just because I "interrupted" windows loading. But
there's no error at all.

To be more specific, the "error" I said before it's not actually an
error, but the "advanced options menu" (the one with the Safe Mode in
it).

When working normally (without the CT4830) there are no errors;
everything is fine.

mc

In that case I'm stumped. But you might try putting the soundcard in a
different PCI slot. Do you have an AGP graphics adapter? And do the
motherboard instructions by any chance say that if you are using the AGP
slot, you should not use the PCI slot closest to it?

Ytsejam

No, I'm not using the AGP slot... and I tried in every PCI slot. And
the MB instructions doesn't say anything either. I'm about to try the
soundcard in another PC (my old one... 300MHz). I'll tell how it goes.

Ytsejam

The same thing happens... I think I'll return that damn card!

Sharanga Dayananda

Uninstall all the Creative software from your machine fromt he CT4810 before
putting in the CT4830 and then install the divers fo the CT4830.

Creative drivers are a bit iffy.