Problem with Inspiron 1318

John

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. My brother has an Inspiron
1318 that is having a power up issue. Stated that it won't turn on.
Battery inserted correctly, tried another working power adapter to
make sure that power brick wasn't the issue. I quote, "when pressing
the power button, sounds like it is going to POST but screen doesn't
appear and one light is on next to the power button. Sounds like fan
is running." Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks

John

Additional information,
Num lock button stays lit. The light on the power button goes off
almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
activity. The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
goes off very quickly.

Again, thanks in advance.

On Jul 11, 2:19*pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. *My brother has an Inspiron
> 1318 that is having a power up issue. *Stated that it won't turn on.
> Battery inserted correctly, tried another working power adapter to
> make sure that power brick wasn't the issue. *I quote, "when pressing
> the power button, sounds like it is going to POST but screen doesn't
> appear and one light is on next to the power button. *Sounds like fan
> is running." *Any suggestions on what to check?
>
> Thanks

Bob Villa

On Jul 11, 3:05*pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Additional information,
> Num lock button stays lit. *The light on the power button goes off
> almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
> of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
> activity. *The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
> goes off very quickly.
>
> Again, thanks in advance.
>
> On Jul 11, 2:19*pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. *My brother has an Inspiron
> > 1318 that is having a power up issue. *Stated that it won't turn on.
> > Battery inserted correctly, tried another working power adapter to
> > make sure that power brick wasn't the issue. *I quote, "when pressing
> > the power button, sounds like it is going to POST but screen doesn't
> > appear and one light is on next to the power button. *Sounds like fan
> > is running." *Any suggestions on what to check?

> > Thanks

Has he tried it with the battery removed?

John

On Jul 11, 4:39*pm, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 3:05*pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Additional information,
> > Num lock button stays lit. *The light on the power button goes off
> > almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
> > of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
> > activity. *The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
> > goes off very quickly.

> > Again, thanks in advance.

> > On Jul 11, 2:19*pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. *My brother has an Inspiron
> > > 1318 that is having a power up issue. *Stated that it won't turn on..
> > > Battery inserted correctly, tried another working power adapter to
> > > make sure that power brick wasn't the issue. *I quote, "when pressing
> > > the power button, sounds like it is going to POST but screen doesn't
> > > appear and one light is on next to the power button. *Sounds like fan
> > > is running." *Any suggestions on what to check?

> > > Thanks

> Has he tried it with the battery removed?

Yes, doesn't seem to make a difference, unfortunately.

John

On Jul 11, 10:54*pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 4:39*pm, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 11, 3:05*pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Additional information,
> > > Num lock button stays lit. *The light on the power button goes off
> > > almost immediately, but the one on the front of the machine (in front
> > > of keyboard) stays on, along with the hard drive periodically having
> > > activity. *The screen does faintly display the Dell logo on press, but
> > > goes off very quickly.

> > > Again, thanks in advance.

> > Has he tried it with the battery removed?

> Yes, doesn't seem to make a difference, unfortunately.

Got to handle it this past week. Definitely a fried motherboard.
Cheaper to just part it out and buy a new one.

Christopher Muto

On 7/22/2011 11:49 PM, John wrote:
> On Jul 11, 10:54 pm, John<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Has he tried it with the battery removed?

>> Yes, doesn't seem to make a difference, unfortunately.

> Got to handle it this past week. Definitely a fried motherboard.
> Cheaper to just part it out and buy a new one.

re-seat the memory modules and try booting again.