Problem installing AMD XP-2000 CPU

TomH

I have an MSI K7T266 Pro2 Motherboard.

Works great with an AMD Athlon XP 1500 (borrowed CPU)
Will not run with my NEW Athlon XP 2000.
I upgraded to latest BIOS.
MSI says motherboard supports XP 2000 with upgraded BIOS
Used thermal grease with heatsink, etc.

System starts with the new CPU but nothing on my monitor.
No beeps.
Just a flashing light on the monitor.

When I re-install the XP 1500 it runs fine.

ANY HELP PLEASE

Jason Cothran

"TomH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I have an MSI K7T266 Pro2 Motherboard.
|
| Works great with an AMD Athlon XP 1500 (borrowed CPU)
| Will not run with my NEW Athlon XP 2000.
| I upgraded to latest BIOS.
| MSI says motherboard supports XP 2000 with upgraded BIOS
| Used thermal grease with heatsink, etc.
|
| System starts with the new CPU but nothing on my monitor.
| No beeps.
| Just a flashing light on the monitor.
|
| When I re-install the XP 1500 it runs fine.
|
| ANY HELP PLEASE

This may be a stupid question, but after flashing the bios did you remember
to do hard CMOS reset using the jumper? This should force the board to
"autodetect" the CPU to let you get into BIOS and adjust your settings. If
you have done that already, then I have no other bright ideas off the top of
my head <wink> Good Luck!

Blaedmon

you might also try adjusting your fsb jumpers. check what the cpu runs at,
adjust accordingly. worth a look.

"TomH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an MSI K7T266 Pro2 Motherboard.
>
> Works great with an AMD Athlon XP 1500 (borrowed CPU)
> Will not run with my NEW Athlon XP 2000.
> I upgraded to latest BIOS.
> MSI says motherboard supports XP 2000 with upgraded BIOS
> Used thermal grease with heatsink, etc.
>
> System starts with the new CPU but nothing on my monitor.
> No beeps.
> Just a flashing light on the monitor.
>
> When I re-install the XP 1500 it runs fine.
>
> ANY HELP PLEASE

Jason Cothran

"Blaedmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqrnae$2nqh$(E-Mail Removed)...
| you might also try adjusting your fsb jumpers. check what the cpu runs at,
| adjust accordingly. worth a look.

That board doesn't use jumpers.

TomH

Tried flashing BIOS with same results.
Thanks for the suggestion.

"Jason Cothran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IRbAb.4233$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TomH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | I have an MSI K7T266 Pro2 Motherboard.
> |
> | Works great with an AMD Athlon XP 1500 (borrowed CPU)
> | Will not run with my NEW Athlon XP 2000.
> | I upgraded to latest BIOS.
> | MSI says motherboard supports XP 2000 with upgraded BIOS
> | Used thermal grease with heatsink, etc.
> |
> | System starts with the new CPU but nothing on my monitor.
> | No beeps.
> | Just a flashing light on the monitor.
> |
> | When I re-install the XP 1500 it runs fine.
> |
> | ANY HELP PLEASE
> |

> This may be a stupid question, but after flashing the bios did you

remember
> to do hard CMOS reset using the jumper? This should force the board to
> "autodetect" the CPU to let you get into BIOS and adjust your settings. If
> you have done that already, then I have no other bright ideas off the top

of
> my head <wink> Good Luck!

Jason Cothran

I'm wasn't referring to flashing it. I'm talking about a hard reset using
the jumper on the board. (should be labelled CMOS reset) Also you may want
to try setting the multiplier and FSB for the XP2000+ with the XP1500
installed, when you save changes, just turn the computer off instead of
letting it boot back up and swap chips. Just a thought.

chuck

"Jason Cothran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kaRAb.3583$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm wasn't referring to flashing it. I'm talking about a hard reset using
> the jumper on the board. (should be labelled CMOS reset) Also you may want
> to try setting the multiplier and FSB for the XP2000+ with the XP1500
> installed, when you save changes, just turn the computer off instead of
> letting it boot back up and swap chips. Just a thought.

Ort even better read the motherboard manual and see if the motherboard had
an auto detect mode, and let it choose the right multiplier and fsb for the
new CPU after a cmos reset.

TomH

Thanks, I'll try that.

"chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jason Cothran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kaRAb.3583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I'm wasn't referring to flashing it. I'm talking about a hard reset

using
> > the jumper on the board. (should be labelled CMOS reset) Also you may

want
> > to try setting the multiplier and FSB for the XP2000+ with the XP1500
> > installed, when you save changes, just turn the computer off instead of
> > letting it boot back up and swap chips. Just a thought.
> >

> Ort even better read the motherboard manual and see if the motherboard had
> an auto detect mode, and let it choose the right multiplier and fsb for

the
> new CPU after a cmos reset.

TomH

Turns out I had a bad CPU.
Return it to Vendor for replacement.
They said even if you have a bad CPU system should tell you no CPU present.
Thanks again for the help
Tom