problem installing HD on IS7

Jeff

Hey

Configuration of my computer:
- IS7 motherboard
- 2 IDE harddrives (on the same cable master + slave), 9 GB + 40 GB
- 2 DVD-players (IDE on its own cable)

Yes, my C: has a capacity of only 9GB. So today I went into a computer shop
and bought an Serial ATA 2 harddrive (320GB). (IFAIK IS7 only supports
Serial ATA 1, but the guy at the computer store told me IS7 is able to run
Serial ATA 2 drives, but as Serial ATA 1)...

I've plugged it into the computer (using SATA1 connector on motherboard).
The bios finds the new harddrive but WindowsXP Pro don't find it. I even
tryed to boot the computer into Ghost 2003, but Ghost could NOT see it

My goal is to replace 9GB harddrive with the 230GB Serial ATA harddrive

Why can't WindowsXP see my new harddrive? what am I doing wrong here?

Any suggestions?

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> Hey
>
> Configuration of my computer:
> - IS7 motherboard
> - 2 IDE harddrives (on the same cable master + slave), 9 GB + 40 GB
> - 2 DVD-players (IDE on its own cable)
>
> Yes, my C: has a capacity of only 9GB. So today I went into a computer shop
> and bought an Serial ATA 2 harddrive (320GB). (IFAIK IS7 only supports
> Serial ATA 1, but the guy at the computer store told me IS7 is able to run
> Serial ATA 2 drives, but as Serial ATA 1)...
>
> I've plugged it into the computer (using SATA1 connector on motherboard).
> The bios finds the new harddrive but WindowsXP Pro don't find it. I even
> tryed to boot the computer into Ghost 2003, but Ghost could NOT see it
>
> My goal is to replace 9GB harddrive with the 230GB Serial ATA harddrive
>
> Why can't WindowsXP see my new harddrive? what am I doing wrong here?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Jeff

Do you have SP2 installed in your XP install? If not, I believe that is
your problem. If you are trying to install a fresh copy of XP that is
not SP2, I also believe that will not work.

To install XP on a SATA drive, you need to have 2 things. One is a copy
of XP with SP2 already slipstreamed in. You can make a slipstreamed
disk using your disk and a full copy of Service Pack 2. A quick Google
search will get you a web site that tells how to do it. Secondly you
will need a copy of the SATA drivers for XP that you can access at the
beginning of the XP install. Most people put them on a floppy, but I
think you can also have them stored on a hard drive or CD is you have a
second CD/DVD drive. At the beginning of the install, Windows will ask
if you want to install third party drivers at the very bottom of the
screen. It is either F5 or F6 that you need to press when the message
comes up. It will tell you which F key it is, I just don't remember at
the moment.

Chris

Jeff

Yes, my computer are using SP2 of windowsxp

I'm not planning to reinstall WindowsXP (or at least I hope I can avoid
that). I have an Ghost 2003 image of an perfect WindowsXP SP2 installation
on my computer. I want to use this image to restore the sytem on C:

Okay, I'll do some google after SATA drivers for WindowsXP

Hmm, I did a search for new hardware on my computer, this wizard discovered
my new harddrive and it reported that it was working without problems - but
the harddrive didn't show up in Explorer

"c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4683e1f5$0$4735$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff wrote:
>> Hey
>>
>> Configuration of my computer:
>> - IS7 motherboard
>> - 2 IDE harddrives (on the same cable master + slave), 9 GB + 40 GB
>> - 2 DVD-players (IDE on its own cable)
>>
>> Yes, my C: has a capacity of only 9GB. So today I went into a computer
>> shop
>> and bought an Serial ATA 2 harddrive (320GB). (IFAIK IS7 only supports
>> Serial ATA 1, but the guy at the computer store told me IS7 is able to
>> run
>> Serial ATA 2 drives, but as Serial ATA 1)...
>>
>> I've plugged it into the computer (using SATA1 connector on motherboard).
>> The bios finds the new harddrive but WindowsXP Pro don't find it. I even
>> tryed to boot the computer into Ghost 2003, but Ghost could NOT see it
>>
>> My goal is to replace 9GB harddrive with the 230GB Serial ATA harddrive
>>
>> Why can't WindowsXP see my new harddrive? what am I doing wrong here?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> Do you have SP2 installed in your XP install? If not, I believe that is
> your problem. If you are trying to install a fresh copy of XP that is not
> SP2, I also believe that will not work.
>
> To install XP on a SATA drive, you need to have 2 things. One is a copy of
> XP with SP2 already slipstreamed in. You can make a slipstreamed disk
> using your disk and a full copy of Service Pack 2. A quick Google search
> will get you a web site that tells how to do it. Secondly you will need a
> copy of the SATA drivers for XP that you can access at the beginning of
> the XP install. Most people put them on a floppy, but I think you can also
> have them stored on a hard drive or CD is you have a second CD/DVD drive.
> At the beginning of the install, Windows will ask if you want to install
> third party drivers at the very bottom of the screen. It is either F5 or
> F6 that you need to press when the message comes up. It will tell you
> which F key it is, I just don't remember at the moment.
>

> Chris

Eric Parker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, my computer are using SP2 of windowsxp
>
> I'm not planning to reinstall WindowsXP (or at least I hope I can
> avoid that). I have an Ghost 2003 image of an perfect WindowsXP SP2
> installation on my computer. I want to use this image to restore the
> sytem on C:
>
> Okay, I'll do some google after SATA drivers for WindowsXP
>
> Hmm, I did a search for new hardware on my computer, this wizard
> discovered my new harddrive and it reported that it was working
> without problems - but the harddrive didn't show up in Explorer
>

> "c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4683e1f5$0$4735$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff wrote:
>>> Hey
>>>
>>> Configuration of my computer:
>>> - IS7 motherboard
>>> - 2 IDE harddrives (on the same cable master + slave), 9 GB + 40 GB
>>> - 2 DVD-players (IDE on its own cable)
>>>
>>> Yes, my C: has a capacity of only 9GB. So today I went into a
>>> computer shop
>>> and bought an Serial ATA 2 harddrive (320GB). (IFAIK IS7 only
>>> supports
>>> Serial ATA 1, but the guy at the computer store told me IS7 is able
>>> to run
>>> Serial ATA 2 drives, but as Serial ATA 1)...
>>>
>>> I've plugged it into the computer (using SATA1 connector on
>>> motherboard).
>>> The bios finds the new harddrive but WindowsXP Pro don't find it. I
>>> even tryed to boot the computer into Ghost 2003, but Ghost could NOT
>>> see it
>>>
>>> My goal is to replace 9GB harddrive with the 230GB Serial ATA
>>> harddrive
>>>
>>> Why can't WindowsXP see my new harddrive? what am I doing wrong
>>> here?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> Do you have SP2 installed in your XP install? If not, I believe that
>> is your problem. If you are trying to install a fresh copy of XP that
>> is not SP2, I also believe that will not work.
>>
>> To install XP on a SATA drive, you need to have 2 things. One is a
>> copy of XP with SP2 already slipstreamed in. You can make a
>> slipstreamed disk using your disk and a full copy of Service Pack 2.
>> A quick Google search will get you a web site that tells how to do
>> it. Secondly you will need a copy of the SATA drivers for XP that you
>> can access at the beginning of the XP install. Most people put them
>> on a floppy, but I think you can also have them stored on a hard
>> drive or CD is you have a second CD/DVD drive. At the beginning of
>> the install, Windows will ask if you want to install third party
>> drivers at the very bottom of the screen. It is either F5 or F6 that
>> you need to press when the message comes up. It will tell you which F
>> key it is, I just don't remember at the moment.

Does it show up in
Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management ->
Disk Management
or in
Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager ?

It could well need partitioning/formatting for Windows but I would have
hoped Ghost could see it.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Jeff

It shows up in both. In Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools ->
Computer Management ->
it shows up as unallocated

Bird JanitorŪ

Jeff wrote:

| It shows up in both. In Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative
| Tools -> Computer Management ->
| it shows up as unallocated

Hi Jeff -

Once in Disk Management, right-click the unallocated space and choose the
option to create and format a partition on the drive. Through this process
you'll be able to assign a drive letter.

New drives need to be partitioned, formatted and a drive letter assigned
before Windows Explorer will see them.

Jef

Bird JanitorŪ wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> |
> | It shows up in both. In Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative
> | Tools -> Computer Management ->
> | it shows up as unallocated
> |

> Hi Jeff -
>
> Once in Disk Management, right-click the unallocated space and choose the
> option to create and format a partition on the drive. Through this process
> you'll be able to assign a drive letter.
>
> New drives need to be partitioned, formatted and a drive letter assigned
> before Windows Explorer will see them.
>
> Jef

Yeah I shoulda said that also, but I assumed the OP was installing
fresh. My bad.

Chris

installing IAAR with only one drive connected on IS7(-G) A.M.F. Brijs Abit 5 01-06-2004 12:03 AM
IS7 or IS7-E. Opinions? Fish Head Abit 6 08-24-2003 01:04 PM
Comments on the Abit IS7-E or IS7 Thanks Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz Overclocking 2 08-18-2003 03:39 PM
Comments on the Abit IS7-E or IS7 Thanks Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz Overclocking 0 08-17-2003 12:50 PM
IS7 & Battlefield 1942 after installing INF50.EXE from Abit Networkz Abit 3 07-12-2003 01:02 PM