Problem with loading xp with kt600 dragon plus

Keith

Hello, I am having some trouble loading windows on the following
system:

SOYO KT600 DRAGON+
AMD XP 2600+(333Mhz)
512 mb pc 2700 ram (x2
ati radeon 9800 plus (128)
MAXTOR 80.0GB DX6Y080P0 EIDE ULTRA-ATA 133 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER

When installing windows xp, I receive an error stating that the hard
drive is corrupt. The hard drive passes burn test. I was able to load
xp on this hard drive on another computer without incident. I have
updated bios, and tried different memory (that works on another
computer.)

If anyone might know why I am getting this error, your help will be
greatly appriciated.

John

make sure the PCI/AGP divider is set correctly so the PCI is 33 MHz, or
else you may get drive data corruption. check the BIOS. you may want to try
another ribbon cable as well ~ not a huge fan of Maxtor but sounds like the
drive is fine

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello, I am having some trouble loading windows on the following
> system:
>
> SOYO KT600 DRAGON+
> AMD XP 2600+(333Mhz)
> 512 mb pc 2700 ram (x2
> ati radeon 9800 plus (128)
> MAXTOR 80.0GB DX6Y080P0 EIDE ULTRA-ATA 133 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER
>
> When installing windows xp, I receive an error stating that the hard
> drive is corrupt. The hard drive passes burn test. I was able to load
> xp on this hard drive on another computer without incident. I have
> updated bios, and tried different memory (that works on another
> computer.)
>
> If anyone might know why I am getting this error, your help will be
> greatly appriciated.

Woobie

Keith,
Did you do a full install of XP? Try to let it format your drive for
NTFS format. Also, because I have seen this problem a couple of times, what
usually solves it is a format done through the hard drive manufacturer's
boot disk. Maxtor and WD both have boot disk installations at their
respective sites (usually called diag, tools or utilities.)

Also, some drives, due to bad or corrupted sectors, just won't run XP
because they are too damaged for XP to accept. I had a bad HD that I knew
had bad sectors. I repaired the sectors, but XP would not take it ( it came
up with some write error.) I had to put that HD in another computer with a
lower version OS. It worked fine there and it still works.

Lastly, look at the bios settings. Make sure it's on auto. Recheck
jumpers, cables and bios settings.

Joe

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello, I am having some trouble loading windows on the following
> system:
>
> SOYO KT600 DRAGON+
> AMD XP 2600+(333Mhz)
> 512 mb pc 2700 ram (x2
> ati radeon 9800 plus (128)
> MAXTOR 80.0GB DX6Y080P0 EIDE ULTRA-ATA 133 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER
>
> When installing windows xp, I receive an error stating that the hard
> drive is corrupt. The hard drive passes burn test. I was able to load
> xp on this hard drive on another computer without incident. I have
> updated bios, and tried different memory (that works on another
> computer.)
>
> If anyone might know why I am getting this error, your help will be
> greatly appriciated.

Keith

Both full and upgrade versions of XP profesional fail. When trying to
format for NTFS, I recieve an error that XP is unable to format due to
possible corrupt disk. I can format using maxtor software, but it will
give an error on the first restart(during istalation) that a system
file is missing or corrupted. Windows 98 will install, but fails after
one restart(won't load.)

The bios is set to auto detect the drive. The cable and jumpers have
been checked. The hard drive passes every test performed by Maxtor
powermax software.

I do not see how to check the AGP/PCI driver is set so that the PCI is
33mhz. It is not an option I see listed in the BIOS. Optimized
defaults produce the same errors.

Thank you for your replies.

"Woobie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Keith,
> Did you do a full install of XP? Try to let it format your drive for
> NTFS format. Also, because I have seen this problem a couple of times, what
> usually solves it is a format done through the hard drive manufacturer's
> boot disk. Maxtor and WD both have boot disk installations at their
> respective sites (usually called diag, tools or utilities.)
>
> Also, some drives, due to bad or corrupted sectors, just won't run XP
> because they are too damaged for XP to accept. I had a bad HD that I knew
> had bad sectors. I repaired the sectors, but XP would not take it ( it came
> up with some write error.) I had to put that HD in another computer with a
> lower version OS. It worked fine there and it still works.
>
> Lastly, look at the bios settings. Make sure it's on auto. Recheck
> jumpers, cables and bios settings.
>
> Joe
>
> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hello, I am having some trouble loading windows on the following
> > system:
> >
> > SOYO KT600 DRAGON+
> > AMD XP 2600+(333Mhz)
> > 512 mb pc 2700 ram (x2
> > ati radeon 9800 plus (128)
> > MAXTOR 80.0GB DX6Y080P0 EIDE ULTRA-ATA 133 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER
> >
> > When installing windows xp, I receive an error stating that the hard
> > drive is corrupt. The hard drive passes burn test. I was able to load
> > xp on this hard drive on another computer without incident. I have
> > updated bios, and tried different memory (that works on another
> > computer.)
> >
> > If anyone might know why I am getting this error, your help will be
> > greatly appriciated.

Erik the Bold

What brand of memory?
Which slots are populated ??

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Both full and upgrade versions of XP profesional fail. When trying to
> format for NTFS, I recieve an error that XP is unable to format due to
> possible corrupt disk. I can format using maxtor software, but it will
> give an error on the first restart(during istalation) that a system
> file is missing or corrupted. Windows 98 will install, but fails after
> one restart(won't load.)
>
> The bios is set to auto detect the drive. The cable and jumpers have
> been checked. The hard drive passes every test performed by Maxtor
> powermax software.
>
> I do not see how to check the AGP/PCI driver is set so that the PCI is
> 33mhz. It is not an option I see listed in the BIOS. Optimized
> defaults produce the same errors.
>
> Thank you for your replies.
>

> "Woobie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Keith,
> > Did you do a full install of XP? Try to let it format your drive

for
> > NTFS format. Also, because I have seen this problem a couple of times,

what
> > usually solves it is a format done through the hard drive manufacturer's
> > boot disk. Maxtor and WD both have boot disk installations at their
> > respective sites (usually called diag, tools or utilities.)
> >
> > Also, some drives, due to bad or corrupted sectors, just won't run

XP
> > because they are too damaged for XP to accept. I had a bad HD that I

knew
> > had bad sectors. I repaired the sectors, but XP would not take it ( it

came
> > up with some write error.) I had to put that HD in another computer with

> > lower version OS. It worked fine there and it still works.
> >
> > Lastly, look at the bios settings. Make sure it's on auto. Recheck
> > jumpers, cables and bios settings.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Hello, I am having some trouble loading windows on the following
> > > system:
> > >
> > > SOYO KT600 DRAGON+
> > > AMD XP 2600+(333Mhz)
> > > 512 mb pc 2700 ram (x2
> > > ati radeon 9800 plus (128)
> > > MAXTOR 80.0GB DX6Y080P0 EIDE ULTRA-ATA 133 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER
> > >
> > > When installing windows xp, I receive an error stating that the hard
> > > drive is corrupt. The hard drive passes burn test. I was able to load
> > > xp on this hard drive on another computer without incident. I have
> > > updated bios, and tried different memory (that works on another
> > > computer.)
> > >
> > > If anyone might know why I am getting this error, your help will be
> > > greatly appriciated.

Keith

I was able to fix the problem by replacing the chip.

Alan Duquette

What chip?

On 26 Nov 2003 16:57:09 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Keith)
wrote:

>I was able to fix the problem by replacing the chip.

Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:46:39 -1000, Alan Duquette <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What chip?
>
>On 26 Nov 2003 16:57:09 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Keith)
>wrote:
>
>>I was able to fix the problem by replacing the chip.

the only one he's mentioned in any of his posts is the cpu.
--
-denny-

Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
--David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans