problem with my mouse!

Lee

Of late I have noticed a delay in the movement with my cursor.
Sometimes it just sits there even though I am moving the mouse all
over the place and then you will see the indicator that it is getting
ready to move (O blue in color rotating) and it will move. Is there
any fixes or is this normal?

I have a Gateway DX430X with 4 gigs of memory and VISTA, it does not
seem to matter if I have a lot going on or even doing this newsgroup.

Lee (in Florida)

Greg Smithers

Uhh... Seriously, when was the last time you cleaned the mouse? If it's a
non-optical mouse, open the bottom and remove the ball. Look at the two
shafts and the little wheel that the ball comes in contact with. Those
things can get lots of crud on them that interfers with normal mouse
operations.

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lys9k.16538$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Of late I have noticed a delay in the movement with my cursor. Sometimes
> it just sits there even though I am moving the mouse all over the place
> and then you will see the indicator that it is getting ready to move (O
> blue in color rotating) and it will move. Is there any fixes or is this
> normal?
>
> I have a Gateway DX430X with 4 gigs of memory and VISTA, it does not seem
> to matter if I have a lot going on or even doing this newsgroup.
>
> Lee (in Florida)

Lee

Greg Smithers wrote:
> Uhh... Seriously, when was the last time you cleaned the mouse? If it's a
> non-optical mouse, open the bottom and remove the ball. Look at the two
> shafts and the little wheel that the ball comes in contact with. Those
> things can get lots of crud on them that interfers with normal mouse
> operations.

Hi Greg

No it is an optical mouse! This is my second one since getting the
new computer, never had these before and never had this problem
either. I am sure it is because something is running and it just
freezes up the cursor temporarily. Always something. Hey thanks for
taking the time to reply it is appreciated.

Lee (in Florida)

Ben Myers

If wireless, then the battery may be going dead. Some of the early wireless
mice conserved power when not in use and took forever to wake up... Ben Myers

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:55:05 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it a USB wireless mouse? Is the USB connection solid?
>
>Lee wrote:
>| Hi Greg
>|
>| No it is an optical mouse! This is my second one since getting the
>| new computer, never had these before and never had this problem
>| either. I am sure it is because something is running and it just
>| freezes up the cursor temporarily. Always something. Hey thanks for
>| taking the time to reply it is appreciated.
>|
>| Lee (in Florida)

Lee

Ben Myers wrote:
> If wireless, then the battery may be going dead. Some of the early wireless
> mice conserved power when not in use and took forever to wake up... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:55:05 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is it a USB wireless mouse? Is the USB connection solid?

The mouse is a USB connected optical mouse. (not wireless) Yes the
connection as far as I can determine is good. I am beginning to
believe it just might be McAfee checking on stuff in the background or
maybe another program? I have the total protection program and it
does a great job I am not sure how much of the memory it is chewing
up. But better safe than sorry. Again thanks to both of you for your
(use SeaMonkey) seems to have cut back on the processing time of the
cursor action. It still does it but not as much in my opinion.

Lee (in Florida)

Lee

NathanRosseister wrote:

> Go for best quality of optical mouse..or use USB mouse This will solve
> all your problem..

Hi Nathan

Thanks for your reply! I guess maybe I will look around to see what
is available. Maybe that will cure the problem.

Lee (in Florida)

BillW50

In news:cZpak.8004$(E-Mail Removed),
Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> typed on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:04:30 -0400:
> NathanRosseister wrote:
>
>> Go for best quality of optical mouse..or use USB mouse This will
>> solve all your problem..

> Hi Nathan
>
> Thanks for your reply! I guess maybe I will look around to see what
> is available. Maybe that will cure the problem.

Hi Lee! I think you are right and the rest are wrong. I do think it is
software hogging up the CPU as you previously thought. And both McAfee and
Norton can very well do this as well. Although one thing to add about
optical mice. Most don't work well on a shinny surface. A mouse pad or
something should rule that one out though.

--
Bill
Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

Lee

BillW50 wrote:

> Hi Lee! I think you are right and the rest are wrong. I do think it is
> software hogging up the CPU as you previously thought. And both McAfee and
> Norton can very well do this as well. Although one thing to add about
> optical mice. Most don't work well on a shinny surface. A mouse pad or
> something should rule that one out though.

Hi Bill

Thanks for the come back! I know the blue ring shows that something
is running but was not positive and since I use Vista it is somewhat
new to me! Just wanted to be sure so as each made a suggestion I
wrote if off after checking it and I did have my op mouse on white
paper and on a red mouse pad and a gray one so I think I have
eliminated most everything. I guess it is what I will have to live
with or up the memory to 8 gigs. Right now I think I can live with
it. After Norton for a few years McAfee has been great but they added
so much to it I think that it is taking up a lot of memory. Every
time I turn around it pops up with something changing registry
settings ie Internet Explorer etc. Thanks again!

Lee (in Florida)

BillW50

In news:MkLak.15413$(E-Mail Removed),
Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> typed on Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:23:23 -0400:
> BillW50 wrote:
>
>> Hi Lee! I think you are right and the rest are wrong. I do think it
>> is software hogging up the CPU as you previously thought. And both
>> McAfee and Norton can very well do this as well. Although one thing
>> to add about optical mice. Most don't work well on a shinny surface.
>> A mouse pad or something should rule that one out though.

> Hi Bill
>
> Thanks for the come back! I know the blue ring shows that something
> is running but was not positive and since I use Vista it is somewhat
> new to me! Just wanted to be sure so as each made a suggestion I
> wrote if off after checking it and I did have my op mouse on white
> paper and on a red mouse pad and a gray one so I think I have
> eliminated most everything. I guess it is what I will have to live
> with or up the memory to 8 gigs. Right now I think I can live with
> it. After Norton for a few years McAfee has been great but they added
> so much to it I think that it is taking up a lot of memory. Every
> time I turn around it pops up with something changing registry
> settings ie Internet Explorer etc. Thanks again!

Hi Lee. Open up the Task Manager. There you can see what the CPU usage is
at. Also if it is high, you can check out Processes (tab) to see what it is.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 4GB SSD 2GB SODIMM

Scott

Lee wrote:

> Of late I have noticed a delay in the movement with my cursor.
> Sometimes it just sits there even though I am moving the mouse all
> over the place and then you will see the indicator that it is getting
> ready to move (O blue in color rotating) and it will move. Is there
> any fixes or is this normal?
>
> I have a Gateway DX430X with 4 gigs of memory and VISTA, it does not
> seem to matter if I have a lot going on or even doing this newsgroup.
>
> Lee (in Florida)

I have a similar problem with my 6-year old WinXP Pro desktop with the original
Logitech optical mouse. The mouse pointer freezes frequently. Then the USB
connect "Bong sound" is heard...followed by the Bbong" disconnect sound. It does
this irrespective of which program I'm using. I tried moving the mouse USB
connector to another one. There are no other USB devices connected. Where's
a good place to start diagnosing this problem?

Thanks!
Scott