Problem recognizing presence of keyboard.

Mark Healey

I have my PS/2 keyboard running through a PS/2 to usb converter and a hub
It pretty much works fine except that my BIOS doesn't recognize it and I
have to wait for the OS to load to use it. This works fine except when I
want to boot an older kernel through grub, at which point I have to plug
in another keyboard.

I've tried several converters and hubs. What can I do so that I can use
my primary keyboard to operate grub?

Pen

Mark Healey wrote:
> I have my PS/2 keyboard running through a PS/2 to usb converter and a hub
> It pretty much works fine except that my BIOS doesn't recognize it and I
> have to wait for the OS to load to use it. This works fine except when I
> want to boot an older kernel through grub, at which point I have to plug
> in another keyboard.
>
> I've tried several converters and hubs. What can I do so that I can use
> my primary keyboard to operate grub?

Have you tried connecting directly to the computer. The BIOS will
recognize the mobo's usb ports, but the hub won't be found till the OS
loads.

Michael Hawes

"Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Mark Healey wrote:
>> I have my PS/2 keyboard running through a PS/2 to usb converter and a hub
>> It pretty much works fine except that my BIOS doesn't recognize it and I
>> have to wait for the OS to load to use it. This works fine except when I
>> want to boot an older kernel through grub, at which point I have to plug
>> in another keyboard.
>>
>> I've tried several converters and hubs. What can I do so that I can use
>> my primary keyboard to operate grub?

> Have you tried connecting directly to the computer. The BIOS will
> recognize the mobo's usb ports, but the hub won't be found till the OS
> loads.

Have you enabled Legacy USB support in BIOS?

Mike.

Mark Healey

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:39:46 -0400, Pen wrote:

> Mark Healey wrote:
>> I have my PS/2 keyboard running through a PS/2 to usb converter and a
>> hub It pretty much works fine except that my BIOS doesn't recognize it
>> and I have to wait for the OS to load to use it. This works fine
>> except when I want to boot an older kernel through grub, at which point
>> I have to plug in another keyboard.
>>
>> I've tried several converters and hubs. What can I do so that I can
>> use my primary keyboard to operate grub?

> Have you tried connecting directly to the computer. The BIOS will
> recognize the mobo's usb ports, but the hub won't be found till the OS
> loads.

That's what I needed to know. I took my old IBM model M and placed the
internals of a PS/2 to USB converter, a card reader and a USB hub inside
the case so I could have only one wire going from my desk to the CPU. I
guess I'm screwed.

KV7-V not recognizing SATA drive Mortifer Abit 4 04-12-2005 12:34 AM
AT7-MAX2 Not recognizing Zip Drive VvBroncovV Abit 0 01-04-2005 06:19 AM
Problems recognizing RAM remove * Abit 1 01-22-2004 01:47 AM
IS7 not recognizing Atapi cdrom devices all the time Seth Brundle Abit 5 09-04-2003 09:21 PM
P4P800 Deluxe - New Sys - XP Pro not recognizing the stiped HD's Richard Asus 8 07-20-2003 09:59 PM