Problem w/ Monitor (Dell 2005FPW)

Monica

A few weeks ago I installed a couple of software programs for my
grandchildren. They (or one of them) wrecked havoc on my machine, making
video/display and sound changes. I upgraded video card drivers from the
ATI website. That didn't seem to help so I uninstalled the programs. After
the install of the programs but BEFORE I upgraded the video card drivers, my
monitor would do a rolling/flickering thing when I turned it on. It would
last until the loading Windows screen. Updating the video drivers didn't
help. At this point I'm still thinking it was the software. As time went
on, the rolling would last a little longer. The display now rolls till
about the time Windows is finished loading and the desktop is stable.
Remember, it used to stop before the loading Windows screen. If the
computer is on but monitor off for awhile and I turn the monitor back on, it
may roll/flicker for 2-3 seconds. Now I'm thinking it's a monitor issue.
What do you think?

Also, in case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor in the near future, I
would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. A couple years
ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. There was a
way to determine which type yours was. The 2005FPW was that kind...I just
can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors (barring
the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. And does Dell
still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?

Monica

Bob Villa

On Nov 9, 8:13*am, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A few weeks ago I installed a couple of software programs for my
> grandchildren. *They (or one of them) wrecked havoc on my machine, making
> video/display and sound changes. * I upgraded video card drivers from the
> ATI website. *That didn't seem to help so I uninstalled the programs. *After
> the install of the programs but BEFORE I upgraded the video card drivers,my
> monitor would do a rolling/flickering thing when I turned it on. *It would
> last until the loading Windows screen. *Updating the video drivers didn't
> help. *At this point I'm still thinking it was the software. *As timewent
> on, the rolling would last a little longer. *The display now rolls till
> about the time Windows is finished loading and the desktop is stable.
> Remember, it used to stop before the loading Windows screen. *If the
> computer is on but monitor off for awhile and I turn the monitor back on,it
> may roll/flicker for 2-3 seconds. *Now I'm thinking it's a monitor issue.
> What do you think?
>
> Also, in case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor in the near future, I
> would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. *A couple years
> ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. *There was a
> way to determine which type yours was. * The 2005FPW was that kind...I just
> can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors (barring
> the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. * And does Dell
> still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?
>
> Monica

I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

Monica

Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a vertical
roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's IPS
(vs TN)
The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so great
to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 9, 8:13 am, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A few weeks ago I installed a couple of software programs for my
> grandchildren. They (or one of them) wrecked havoc on my machine, making
> video/display and sound changes. I upgraded video card drivers from the
> ATI website. That didn't seem to help so I uninstalled the programs. After
> the install of the programs but BEFORE I upgraded the video card drivers,
> my
> monitor would do a rolling/flickering thing when I turned it on. It would
> last until the loading Windows screen. Updating the video drivers didn't
> help. At this point I'm still thinking it was the software. As time went
> on, the rolling would last a little longer. The display now rolls till
> about the time Windows is finished loading and the desktop is stable.
> Remember, it used to stop before the loading Windows screen. If the
> computer is on but monitor off for awhile and I turn the monitor back on,
> it
> may roll/flicker for 2-3 seconds. Now I'm thinking it's a monitor issue.
> What do you think?
>
> Also, in case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor in the near future, I
> would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. A couple years
> ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. There was a
> way to determine which type yours was. The 2005FPW was that kind...I just
> can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors
> (barring
> the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. And does Dell
> still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?
>
> Monica

I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

BillW50

In news:KCeCo.11696$(E-Mail Removed),
Monica typed on Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:25:56 -0600:
> Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a
> vertical roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
> The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
> doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
> As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's
> IPS (vs TN)
> The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so
> great to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not
> gaming.

I too have never seen this on LCD either, just old CRT type. If you go
straight into setup when you first turn on the computer and it happens
there too, Windows isn't loaded here at all and it can only be a
hardware problem.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Bob Villa

On Nov 9, 10:25*am, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bob, it's the white connector. *I believe it's DVI. *And yes, a vertical
> roll. *You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
> The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
> doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
> As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's IPS
> (vs TN)
> The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so great
> to consider carefully. *My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.
>
> "Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Nov 9, 8:13 am, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > A few weeks ago I installed a couple of software programs for my
> > grandchildren. They (or one of them) wrecked havoc on my machine, making
> > video/display and sound changes. I upgraded video card drivers from the
> > ATI website. That didn't seem to help so I uninstalled the programs. After
> > the install of the programs but BEFORE I upgraded the video card drivers,
> > my
> > monitor would do a rolling/flickering thing when I turned it on. It would
> > last until the loading Windows screen. Updating the video drivers didn't
> > help. At this point I'm still thinking it was the software. As time went
> > on, the rolling would last a little longer. The display now rolls till
> > about the time Windows is finished loading and the desktop is stable.
> > Remember, it used to stop before the loading Windows screen. If the
> > computer is on but monitor off for awhile and I turn the monitor back on,
> > it
> > may roll/flicker for 2-3 seconds. Now I'm thinking it's a monitor issue..
> > What do you think?

> > Also, in case I'm going to have to buy a new monitor in the near future, I
> > would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. A couple years
> > ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. There wasa
> > way to determine which type yours was. The 2005FPW was that kind...I just
> > can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors
> > (barring
> > the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. And does Dell
> > still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?

> > Monica

> I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
> never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
> Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
> you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

Now that's getting really creepy! AFAIK the video data is never
analog when using DVI! Can you put the monitor on another PC?

Monica

Can I put the monitor on another computer? Not without a LOT of back pain.
Here is a very short video (<600kb) of the rolling problem.
I would have taken a longer video but my card was full. This time the
problem stopped before the Welcome to Windows screen. It has gone
as far as the desktop tho. I'm hoping, with all of the other pieces of the
puzzle I've mentioned, it will clue you guys into what's wrong.
http://rcpt.yousendit.com/986021503/...ed7b7209709f38

On Nov 9, 10:42*pm, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > > would like to stick to this particular "type" of monitor. A couple years
> > > ago I read that a particular type of screen was far superior. There was
> > > way to determine which type yours was. The 2005FPW was that kind...I
> > > just
> > > can't remember what the article said to look for but most monitors
> > > (barring
> > > the super expensive ones) did not fall in this category. And does Dell
> > > still sell the Ultra-Sharp series?

> > > Monica

> > I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
> > never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
> > Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
> > you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

> Now that's getting really creepy! *AFAIK the video data is never
> analog when using DVI! *Can you put the monitor on another PC?

Looks like a roll...but probably is a stutter (non-technical term).
Tighten your connections at both ends (make sure they are square-
equal), it could be the cable or the graphics card, or monitor...in
that order. (PS, I am not the expert here...only one of the
amateurs!)

Doc_Shock

On 11/10/2010 7:38 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
> On Nov 9, 10:42 pm, "Monica"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Can I put the monitor on another computer? Not without a LOT of back pain.
>> Here is a very short video (<600kb) of the rolling problem.
>> I would have taken a longer video but my card was full. This time the
>> problem stopped before the Welcome to Windows screen. It has gone
>> as far as the desktop tho. I'm hoping, with all of the other pieces of the
>> puzzle I've mentioned, it will clue you guys into what's wrong.http://rcpt.yousendit.com/986021503/...ed7b7209709f38
>>
>> "Bob Villa"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Nov 9, 10:25 am, "Monica"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a vertical
>>> roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
>>> The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
>>> doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
>>> As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's IPS
>>> (vs TN)
>>> The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so great
>>> to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.

>>> "Bob Villa"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
>>> never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
>>> Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
>>> you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

>> Now that's getting really creepy! AFAIK the video data is never
>> analog when using DVI! Can you put the monitor on another PC?

> Looks like a roll...but probably is a stutter (non-technical term).
> Tighten your connections at both ends (make sure they are square-
> equal), it could be the cable or the graphics card, or monitor...in
> that order. (PS, I am not the expert here...only one of the
> amateurs!)

I had a Dell monitor acting similarly to the problem described here. I
unplugged the power cord, let it sit for about an hour, and when I
plugged it back in, all was fine. The problem shows up every now and
then, and such a "reboot" of the monitor always fixes it. Maybe it'll
work for you!

Monica

I'll certainly check the connections but if it was a loose connection
wouldn't it do this ALL the time? Not just a few seconds?

On Nov 10, 12:14*pm, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'll certainly check the connections but if it was a loose connection
> wouldn't it do this ALL the time? *Not just a few seconds?
>
> "Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Nov 9, 10:42 pm, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Can I put the monitor on another computer? Not without a LOT of back pain.
> > Here is a very short video (<600kb) of the rolling problem.
> > I would have taken a longer video but my card was full. This time the
> > problem stopped before the Welcome to Windows screen. It has gone
> > as far as the desktop tho. I'm hoping, with all of the other pieces of the
> > puzzle I've mentioned, it will clue you guys into what's
> > wrong.http://rcpt.yousendit.com/986021503/...ed7b7209709f38

> > "Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> > On Nov 9, 10:25 am, "Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Bob, it's the white connector. I believe it's DVI. And yes, a vertical
> > > roll. You've NEVER seen this happen on a LCD??
> > > The fact that it does this when the monitor is first turned on (cold)
> > > doesn't that sound like a hardware issue to you?
> > > As for the type of TFT I'm looking for (if I need a new monitor) it's
> > > IPS
> > > (vs TN)
> > > The Ultra-Sharp U2410 is IPS and has great reviews but enough not so
> > > great
> > > to consider carefully. My hobby is photo/video editing, not gaming.

> > > "Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > > I assume here you mean a vertical roll (going up or down)...I have
> > > never hear of this happening to a FPM only a CRT.
> > > Even with analog input it is converted to digital in the monitor. Are
> > > you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI to your monitor?

> > Now that's getting really creepy! AFAIK the video data is never
> > analog when using DVI! Can you put the monitor on another PC?

> Looks like a roll...but probably is a stutter (non-technical term).
> Tighten your connections at both ends (make sure they are square-
> equal), *it could be the cable or the graphics card, or monitor...in
> that order. *(PS, I am not the expert here...only one of the
> amateurs!)

Not necessarily. (and remember netiquette...pls don't top post, TY)