Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Problems with 260.99?

 
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2010, 07:26 AM
A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
>nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
>with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
>strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.


Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
(which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get

"NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."

Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

--
Terry Pinnell, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
>>nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
>>with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
>>strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

>
>Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
>available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
>manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
>(which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get
>
>"NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
>installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."
>
>Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?


Straight after posting that I did the obvious thing and used SEARCH to
find and download 262.99!

But it doesn't install. I get this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/nvidia-fail.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

 
Reply With Quote
 
deimos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
On 11/10/2010 10:05 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Terry Pinnell<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Terry Pinnell<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
>>> nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
>>> with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
>>> strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.

>>
>> Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
>> available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
>> manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
>> (which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get
>>
>> "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
>> installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."
>>
>> Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

>
> Straight after posting that I did the obvious thing and used SEARCH to
> find and download 262.99!
>
> But it doesn't install. I get this:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/nvidia-fail.jpg
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK
>

262.99 is a 580 specific driver; the driver on the site does not have
INF listings for any other cards. You need to modify it yourself; or
get one from like laptopvideo2go.com, or guru3d, etc.

I can't think of a reason why G92 based cards would have any problem
with the 262 driver (PROVIDED YOU USE A MODIFIED INF!); but I don't
recall any specific fixes in the past several versions that you would
benefit from either. My 9800GTX+ maxed out around 186.18 or so
(practically the same chip as the 8800GT). Everything up until 259.xx
was a mixed batch.

Get a proper INF file, replace the one in the NVIDIA directory where the
driver extracts to (likely C:\NVIDIA\WinXP32\262.99 or some variation),
and give it a go. Try the clean install option to be certain.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2010, 10:06 AM
deimos <deimos@localhost> wrote:

>On 11/10/2010 10:05 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Terry Pinnell<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my VERY old driver version for my 512 MB
>>>> nVidia GeoForce 8800GT to the new 260.99. Has anyone had any problems
>>>> with this please? Here, on my XP Pro (SP2) PC, I've had a few glitches and
>>>> strange 'corruptions' of the screen, which I'd never had before.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I had an automated email this morning advising that 262.99 was
>>> available. But the link just takes me to the main download page. If I then
>>> manually search I get the existing driver. And if I do an automated search
>>> (which requires switching from Firefox to IE) I get
>>>
>>> "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 260.99 Your PC currently has the latest driver
>>> installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time."
>>>
>>> Does 262.99 actually exist and if so where can I get it please?

>>
>> Straight after posting that I did the obvious thing and used SEARCH to
>> find and download 262.99!
>>
>> But it doesn't install. I get this:
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/nvidia-fail.jpg
>>
>> --
>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK
>>

>262.99 is a 580 specific driver; the driver on the site does not have
>INF listings for any other cards. You need to modify it yourself; or
>get one from like laptopvideo2go.com, or guru3d, etc.
>
>I can't think of a reason why G92 based cards would have any problem
>with the 262 driver (PROVIDED YOU USE A MODIFIED INF!); but I don't
>recall any specific fixes in the past several versions that you would
>benefit from either. My 9800GTX+ maxed out around 186.18 or so
>(practically the same chip as the 8800GT). Everything up until 259.xx
>was a mixed batch.
>
>Get a proper INF file, replace the one in the NVIDIA directory where the
>driver extracts to (likely C:\NVIDIA\WinXP32\262.99 or some variation),
>and give it a go. Try the clean install option to be certain.


Thanks deimos. I'm technically out of my depth with this sort of stuff, so
I'll pass on looking for INF files etc thanks.

But I am thinking of installing an older version. But not as old as 175.19
which I had before upgrading to 260.99 recently. Is there a 'good'
intermediate version anyone can recommend please. Of course, the
occasional 'corruption' I mentioned might be nothing to do with 260.99,
but this would help me test that.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS P4C800E-DELUXE PROBLEMS PROBLEMS jime Asus 7 08-27-2005 03:32 AM
Problems problems Jb Nvidia 6 07-30-2005 09:28 PM
A8N-E and PS2 Problems (was K8N-E and PS2 Problems braub Asus 0 06-19-2005 02:59 PM
A7S333 Audio Problems and other problems Colin Douglas Asus 1 01-31-2004 03:39 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment